BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs RS3 review by Henry Catchpole (Caradvice)

02-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #67
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I am considering the same thing - I am not in love with my F80 ZCP (even though it's a very nice car), and would enjoy the aspects of AWD capabilities up here in Chicago (limited garage space for dedicated winter tires and/or wheels).

One of my biggest gripes with the F80 is the sound (or lack thereof) - the 5 pot in the RS3 sounds amazing and I think it actually looks very good, especially from the front. I also love the dash/tech, flat-bottom steering wheel and the interior overall.

I'm trying to find one to drive, as most of the ones coming into Chicago are already sold. Hopefully that works out for me soon.
Jeez how many cars have you had in the last 2 years since I talked to you last? Last It was a cayman s. I didn't know you got into an F80. I am considering an RS3 but Im not sure if I will love it so maybe get into a cheaper S3 and not take as big of a hit if I wanna get out. I really wanna try AWD for the first time in my life. THese past few days in Chicago have been brutal although the 335i with snows took it like a champ.
      02-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #68
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
My friend had one for two years. Nice vehicle BUT,
- you need chewing gum when you drive it
- is an excellent machine to get rid of any kidney stones you might have
- the plastic in a Focus is 5 times superior to the Nissan GTR
- couldn't justify the price for the car, but that's just me
DAMN! That BAD..
      02-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #69
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
RS3 is Automatic and AWD, you CANNOT consider these two cars competitors!!!!!
They just happen to be similarly sized and priced...
I wanted to love the RS3... I did until I drove one
I am an Audi FANBOI and I don't care for the RS3. They say it has "rear wheel drive feel/tendencies".... not so much
What specific did you not like about the RS3? I am curious as I am on the fence shopping cars. I talked to a couple ex RS3 owners that said they did not care for it save the money and just get an S3 if you like the look of the car. Just wondering..I have never owned an Audi and would like to try one something small and fun. I drove an S3 and I was really pleasantly surprised how dynamic and fun it felt. Needed about 30 or 40 more hp IMO though.
I liked it, except for all wheel drive and automatic transmission. I'm 6'1" and i was close to ceiling, but still had room. power was great, sound was great, 4 doors were great! But automatic trans? AWD? not for me. I own a mint condition audi RS4. first and last AWD I will ever own...unless I get the R8 .
      02-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #70
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Jeez how many cars have you had in the last 2 years since I talked to you last? Last It was a cayman s. I didn't know you got into an F80. I am considering an RS3 but Im not sure if I will love it so maybe get into a cheaper S3 and not take as big of a hit if I wanna get out. I really wanna try AWD for the first time in my life. THese past few days in Chicago have been brutal although the 335i with snows took it like a champ.
Just the 981.

I haven’t had the M3 for very long - just coming up on my one year of ownership, but it’s not. Been a great car for me. I’m having the same winter out here in Naperville, and just don’t have the garage space for dedicated winter wheels/tires. Needless to say, the F80 has been sitting a lot lately.

I’m definitely considering a better “all arounder” - but I don’t know of the RS3 is the right one. Gotta find one to drive first.
      02-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #71
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Interesting, as I was playing with the idea to buy an RS3.
I am looking for an AWD sports car and since the M3 and M2 are not I was looking at the RS3.
I don't like their air vents, yet I can learn to live with that if the car is worth the money.
I was considering the M2 but it will be a waste to keep it in the garage since I have at least 6 months of winter in here...
Sand bags in the trunk and winter tires!
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #72
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, as I was playing with the idea to buy an RS3.
I am looking for an AWD sports car and since the M3 and M2 are not I was looking at the RS3.
I don't like their air vents, yet I can learn to live with that if the car is worth the money.
I was considering the M2 but it will be a waste to keep it in the garage since I have at least 6 months of winter in here...
I am considering the same thing - I am not in love with my F80 ZCP (even though it's a very nice car), and would enjoy the aspects of AWD capabilities up here in Chicago (limited garage space for dedicated winter tires and/or wheels).

One of my biggest gripes with the F80 is the sound (or lack thereof) - the 5 pot in the RS3 sounds amazing and I think it actually looks very good, especially from the front. I also love the dash/tech, flat-bottom steering wheel and the interior overall.

I'm trying to find one to drive, as most of the ones coming into Chicago are already sold. Hopefully that works out for me soon.
I find the F80 ZCP to be louder than the M2 around town (Glen Ellyn). Yes, it sounds like chit upon startup, but is fine, if not better than the M2 once underway (to me).

And the garage space argument is bunk. Your dealer will happily store a set of wheels and tires for you.

Ps, I did find the M2 with winters to behave better than the M3 in the snow. But both cars do fine overall here.

And have you seen the interior of the RS3?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #73
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
DAMN! That BAD..
Yep, that bad. Go and check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #74
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
An M2 will do fine with a proper set of Nokian winter tires.

M cars are great in the snow because of the limited slip diff. Ground clearance will be the biggest challenge, but AWD isn't as necessary as a lot of people have ben led to believe by marketing and sales people trying to make a few extra bucks.
I had a large number of cars in my life and worked in the field for a while as well. Except town little driving or (some) cleared highway driving, there is no way that the M2 will be similar with an AWD vehicle regadless how much you and others are screaming “marketing”. How people will make ”extra bucks”, when the M2 is more money than a properly equiped AWD vehicle?
What are you talking about?

Where I am going with the AWD properly equiped, I wasn’t able to go with the M3 and M5 with winter tires. Please keep in mind I am running DWS all seasons, on my xDrive, I dont need two sets of rims and tires, and I dont take my vehicle to the dealership to switch tires; the less my car sees the dealership and the mechanic, the better. No dirty wheels in the trunk and back seats, no teared leather or sagging seats from waiting in the lot loaded with wheels, no bill, no smudges on my seats. Thank you. Plus, front wheels pulling have their benefits in poor traction environment.
Yes, the M’s are very nice vehicles but have their limits.

An AWD is an AWD. To say that 2 wheels equals 4 is not just mathematical wrong but logic too.
Stop fooling yourself, a tire and an LSD is not everything. If three wheels have no traction but the fourth one has, that alone might save the day.
I have all traction systems in my garage and none can handle my hill and snow like the xDrive. Not even a week ago, my neighbour could not PARK in the garage his M3 equiped with snow tires due to the sudden snowfall. He got his lesson I think.
Really, a manufacturer makes the SUV’s AWD beacuse of marketing? If RWD will be better, they wouldn’t bother with a four wheel traction system. C”mon guys, some technical common sense please.

I cant believe I am reading this in here. Is like me saying, Hey my X1 can tow that three ton fifth wheel too, I just need good tires...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:11 AM   #75
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Once a VW Jetta, always a VW Jetta...
Better price for the Jetta
I guess that the new M2 CS/ Competition will be fantastic
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:48 AM   #76
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
The older ones for sure, the current one with the updated interior is much better, not 911 quality but much better. 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #77
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
I must say the stock exhaust sounds good. Drive wise not that great. Numb steering takes away all the fun.....Bmw electric is still better....although I hate that too.
I driven most of the newer and current BMW’s, when are they going to get the electric steering right? Heck, I drove the new civic si and type r and both had tremendous feel and they are electric like majority of the cars now. What gives?? Haha. Those are 35k and 25k Honda’s!!! Come on BMW!!
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      02-11-2018, 02:53 AM   #78
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

I don't get how people praising those Audi virtual cockpits, nothing special but distracting while driving the car,HUD is more practical. And other than virtual cockpit thing RS3's interior is nothing better than the M2.
      02-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #79
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I find the F80 ZCP to be louder than the M2 around town (Glen Ellyn). Yes, it sounds like chit upon startup, but is fine, if not better than the M2 once underway (to me).

And the garage space argument is bunk. Your dealer will happily store a set of wheels and tires for you.

Ps, I did find the M2 with winters to behave better than the M3 in the snow. But both cars do fine overall here.

I’ve never asked a dealer to do that for me - had no idea that was even an option.

And I think the interior is hot on the RS3 - the quilted seats look really nice and I love the virtual cockpit as well. Flat bottom steering wheel from the R8 is also a nice plus.

The M3’s sound just isn’t very satisfying and I have no desire to spend an additional 5-6k on an MPE that only subjectively helps the sound, and the car is a lease....
      02-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #80
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

The lack of fender flares are so disappointing on the rs3. Kills the appeal for me.

A neighbor has one and compared to my 1m it just looks weak. I like a lot of aspects of the car, but no manual and the lack of fenders is just a disappointment
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #81
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I liked it, except for all wheel drive and automatic transmission. I'm 6'1" and i was close to ceiling, but still had room. power was great, sound was great, 4 doors were great! But automatic trans? AWD? not for me. I own a mint condition audi RS4. first and last AWD I will ever own...unless I get the R8 .
Ah I see. I want to try AWD and see if I like it. I may start at the S3 level so its not as much cash down the road to unload.
Quote:
Just the 981.

I haven’t had the M3 for very long - just coming up on my one year of ownership, but it’s not. Been a great car for me. I’m having the same winter out here in Naperville, and just don’t have the garage space for dedicated winter wheels/tires. Needless to say, the F80 has been sitting a lot lately.

I’m definitely considering a better “all arounder” - but I don’t know of the RS3 is the right one. Gotta find one to drive first.
Oh yeah I forgot lol. I went to Audi of Orland Park I think they had a Mythos blk rs3 there they let me sit in it and play around inside but no go on the drive it was sold as most of them are. But check out the car sale sights like car gurus a ton of them used on the market under 2000 miles I am guessing people are not that happy with what they got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Ha Ill take your word for it. If they do it anything like Lexus its yuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan997GT3 View Post
I driven most of the newer and current BMW’s, when are they going to get the electric steering right? Heck, I drove the new civic si and type r and both had tremendous feel and they are electric like majority of the cars now. What gives?? Haha. Those are 35k and 25k Honda’s!!! Come on BMW!!
You know it was surprising to me as well and I am on my 2nd F30. The S3 had much better dynamic steering feel and it was so much lighter well because it really is by a few hundred lbs. But the steering felt much more direct and snappy over my f30 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
The lack of fender flares are so disappointing on the rs3. Kills the appeal for me.

A neighbor has one and compared to my 1m it just looks weak. I like a lot of aspects of the car, but no manual and the lack of fenders is just a disappointment
I can live with no manual, but damn does it look like an S3 you have to look at the exhaust to really know. The one thing that it does make up and that you dont hear being discussed alot and this is generally pointed to those who like to tune is how blistering fast it is tuned and how cheap it is. Unitronic and UM got their RS3 with just a stage 1 flash to do 10.9 in the 1/4 thats insane value if drag strip is your thing. Cant go wrong there.
Quote:
I had a large number of cars in my life and worked in the field for a while as well. Except town little driving or (some) cleared highway driving, there is no way that the M2 will be similar with an AWD vehicle regadless how much you and others are screaming “marketing”. How people will make ”extra bucks”, when the M2 is more money than a properly equiped AWD vehicle?

Where I am going with the AWD properly equiped, I wasn’t able to go with the M3 and M5 with winter tires. Please keep in mind I am running DWS all seasons, on my xDrive, I dont need two sets of rims and tires, and I dont take my vehicle to the dealership to switch tires; the less my car sees the dealership and the mechanic, the better. No dirty wheels in the trunk and back seats, no teared leather or sagging seats from waiting in the lot loaded with wheels, no bill, no smudges on my seats. Thank you. Plus, front wheels pulling have their benefits in poor traction environment.

An AWD is an AWD. To say that 2 wheels equals 4 is not just mathematical wrong but logic too.
Stop fooling yourself, a tire and an LSD is not everything. If three wheels have no traction but the fourth one has, that alone might save the day.
I have all traction systems in my garage and none can handle my hill and snow like the xDrive. Not even a week ago, my neighbour could not PARK in the garage his M3 equiped with snow tires due to the sudden snowfall. He got his lesson I think.
Really, a manufacturer makes the SUV’s AWD beacuse of marketing? If RWD will be better, they wouldn’t bother with a four wheel traction system. C”mon guys, some technical common sense please.

I cant believe I am reading this in here. Is like me saying, Hey my X1 can tow that three ton fifth wheel too, I just need good tires...
I really think it just depends on the type of terrain you live in. I agree with most of the points you made and I have run conti DWS on our 2008 328xi back in the day and it was amazing. The one aspect like you mentioned is how versatile the setup is. But there are some things that are negative about it as well, like summer performance suffers if all year round on the DWS and also the DWS will not perform as well in those super freezing days as the compound as good as it is still gets hard.

As mentioned snow tires on RWD sand bags in the trunk its more than enough on snowy flat terrain. My wife does it now in my F30 with good year ultra grip ice and she did it in her 228i lease on blizzaks both RWD so its completely doable. It still amazes me with guys at work that are completely oblivious with their mustang GT and Chargers and I hear them saying all the time how they need AWD and wanna trade in their car becase of snow. I tell them about snow tires and its how I make it to work with my RWD truck and they give me this gaze of like WTF am I talking about how lol .
      02-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #82
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
I must say the stock exhaust sounds good. Drive wise not that great. Numb steering takes away all the fun.....Bmw electric is still better....although I hate that too.
Electric steering cannot be fun....never driven 911's so cannot comment on those, but last week I drove new Cayenne S in upstate New York mountains.....it was really crappy numb steering, even in sport plus mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #83
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Honda’s been doing electric power steering for decades, the S2000 had EPS and I don’t even know if that was their first attempt. They’ve had a lot of time to work on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #84
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ah I see. I want to try AWD and see if I like it. I may start at the S3 level so its not as much cash down the road to unload.
Quote:
Just the 981.

Oh yeah I forgot lol. I went to Audi of Orland Park I think they had a Mythos blk rs3 there they let me sit in it and play around inside but no go on the drive it was sold as most of them are. But check out the car sale sights like car gurus a ton of them used on the market under 2000 miles I am guessing people are not that happy with what they got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Ha Ill take your word for it. If they do it anything like Lexus its yuck.
Quote:
You know it was surprising to me as well and I am on my 2nd F30. The S3 had much better dynamic steering feel and it was so much lighter well because it really is by a few hundred lbs. But the steering felt much more direct and snappy over my f30 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post

I can live with no manual, but damn does it look like an S3 you have to look at the exhaust to really know. The one thing that it does make up and that you dont hear being discussed alot and this is generally pointed to those who like to tune is how blistering fast it is tuned and how cheap it is. Unitronic and UM got their RS3 with just a stage 1 flash to do 10.9 in the 1/4 thats insane value if drag strip is your thing. Cant go wrong there.
Quote:

I really think it just depends on the type of terrain you live in. I agree with most of the points you made and I have run conti DWS on our 2008 328xi back in the day and it was amazing. The one aspect like you mentioned is how versatile the setup is. But there are some things that are negative about it as well, like summer performance suffers if all year round on the DWS and also the DWS will not perform as well in those super freezing days as the compound as good as it is still gets hard.

As mentioned snow tires on RWD sand bags in the trunk its more than enough on snowy flat terrain. My wife does it now in my F30 with good year ultra grip ice and she did it in her 228i lease on blizzaks both RWD so its completely doable. It still amazes me with guys at work that are completely oblivious with their mustang GT and Chargers and I hear them saying all the time how they need AWD and wanna trade in their car becase of snow. I tell them about snow tires and its how I make it to work with my RWD truck and they give me this gaze of like WTF am I talking about how lol .
fortunately, I am able to have a winter truck..and a spare winter car. I don't need an AWD sports car. I do NEED the RWD though. a sense of freedom(hooliganism)
      02-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #85
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Quote:

I’ve never asked a dealer to do that for me - had no idea that was even an option.

And I think the interior is hot on the RS3 - the quilted seats look really nice and I love the virtual cockpit as well. Flat bottom steering wheel from the R8 is also a nice plus.

The M3’s sound just isn’t very satisfying and I have no desire to spend an additional 5-6k on an MPE that only subjectively helps the sound, and the car is a lease....
Ugh. Maybe it looks better when turned on.

Have to say, I feel MB is crushing Audi in the interior department and BMW Is doing the same. But then again, maybe everything changes when it is on?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #86
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Ugh. Maybe it looks better when turned on.

Have to say, I feel MB is crushing Audi in the interior department and BMW Is doing the same. But then again, maybe everything changes when it is on?
http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/...edan-cabin.jpg

I just think this looks so good.

And a far far improvement over the 2er.
      02-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #87
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/...edan-cabin.jpg

I just think this looks so good.

And a far far improvement over the 2er.
We just returned our 228i m sport lease and as much as my wife liked the interior it was total cheap shit. The interior door handles looked out of place, the slope of the passenger dash looked like a tumor (much improved on the LCI), the center console arm rest was way to high and everything looked so minimal and plain. Sorry. I drove an s3 last week and have to say the interior was much better than any 2er I have ever seen. But then again my current F30's interior is much better then the S3 so its what you like in the end. I do like the RS3 interior as well and I do not think it looks like crap like most have commented.
      02-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #88
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
We just returned our 228i m sport lease and as much as my wife liked the interior it was total cheap shit. The interior door handles looked out of place, the slope of the passenger dash looked like a tumor (much improved on the LCI), the center console arm rest was way to high and everything looked so minimal and plain. Sorry. I drove an s3 last week and have to say the interior was much better than any 2er I have ever seen. But then again my current F30's interior is much better then the S3 so its what you like in the end. I do like the RS3 interior as well and I do not think it looks like crap like most have commented.
The M2 is a slight notch above the average 2er’s interior, but that’s not saying much if I am honest. It just feels cheap, or low rent as I’ve said before. Not befitting of a $60,000 car at all - when you get into one of these, it’s for performance first and foremost, which I can understand but don’t necessarily agree with.

We all spend 100% of the time we drive inside the car - and the interior absolutely matters to me as a result. The F80 does quite well in this department -especially compared to the F87. It’s a bargain proposition for a reason. I’ve always thought that the comparable Audi or Porsche has the. Upper hand in the interior department - and the RS3 is no different.