BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Pandora's Box

02-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 - LBB /6-spd / Exec.

Pandora's Box

My 2018 M2 seems to be unreasonably enamored with Pandora and I don't know how to stop her irrational obsession. I need your advice!

Every time I start up the car, instead of going back to my last audio setting - say FM radio - she decides to start up Pandora instead. I can't say that I'm jealous of her fixation on Pandora and not with me, but I will say that I'm starting to get a little annoyed.

What is something I said? Does anyone else have this issue? And more importantly, has anyone figured out a way to keep them apart?

Serious - WTF is up with Pandora starting every single time I start the car?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Connecting your phone to the car via usb or bluetooth?

iPhone or Android device?

Apple car play?

Make sure the pandora app on your cell is closed before starting your car. Also make sure the phone screen is locked. Connected apps will auto open on my iPhone if it's unlocked during start up.

You can also try changing your app settings for pandora on your phone. Turning off cellular data ought to do the trick.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I guess I should have included that info, sorry.

I'm using an iPhoneX on the latest iOS. No CarPlay, connecting only through Bluetooth. Also, I just checked the settings on my Pandora app on the phone and "cellular data" was never selected. What the heck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post

Apple car play?

Make sure the pandora app on your cell is closed before starting your car. Also make sure the phone screen is locked. Connected apps will auto open on my iPhone if it's unlocked during start up.

You can also try changing your app settings for pandora on your phone. Turning off cellular data ought to do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGiant View Post

I'm using an iPhoneX on the latest iOS. No CarPlay, connecting only through Bluetooth. Also, I just checked the settings on my Pandora app on the phone and "cellular data" was never selected. What the heck?

Quote:

Apple car play?

Quote:

Quote:

Apple car play?

Same thing. Will switch to pandora a few minutes after starting up the car. I don?t even have a pandora account and last time I used the app was years ago.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Same as me; iPhoneX, no clar play, bluetooth. Strange, I have a 2017 and it doesn't do that. It's either being caused by the newer istep version you guys have or it's a setting you need to change on your phones. Hard to be sure. I doubt it's happening because of an idrive setting. I just went through them all and I didn't see anything in there that would help.

Next time you get in the car make sure the pandora app is completely closed/exited. It can't be running in the background, it has to be force quit. Also make sure your phone screen is locked prior to starting the car. See if it still happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKepan View Post
Same thing. Will switch to pandora a few minutes after starting up the car. I don?t even have a pandora account and last time I used the app was years ago.
Have you deleted the app from your phone? That would solve the issue rather quickly I would think.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

About to do that and get in the car to test out exactly that. I wonder what the car will decide to fixate on now

Quote:

Have you deleted the app from your phone? That would solve the issue rather quickly I would think.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I deleted Pandora and tried it again. Everything works as it should now (so far)... except for the fact that I can no longer use Pandora in my car.

Quote:
About to do that and get in the car to test out exactly that. I wonder what the car will decide to fixate on now
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I deleted Pandora and tried it again. Everything works as it should now (so far)... except for the fact that I can no longer use Pandora in my car.
Reinstall it but don't open the app after you do. Make sure the phone is locked. Start the car and see if it tries to connect. It shouldn't.
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well, I reinstalled and did what you suggested, but it still wants to open Pandora... I have my 1,200 mile service tomorrow so I'll mention it to the SA, but I doubt they'll have any idea how to fix the issue. Oh well - BYE PANDORA!

Quote:
Reinstall it but don't open the app after you do. Make sure the phone is locked. Start the car and see if it tries to connect. It shouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I reinstalled and did what you suggested, but it still wants to open Pandora... I have my 1,200 mile service tomorrow so I'll mention it to the SA, but I doubt they'll have any idea how to fix the issue. Oh well - BYE PANDORA!

Quote:
When you drop off or pick up the car from service, tell your SA you'd like to speak to a BMW genius. They might send you from service to sales for that. If anyone at Bmw would be able to help, that's who it would be. They're the people who walk you through the features of your car when you buy new and pick it up. I think that's your best bet.
      02-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Probably yet another iDrive bug. Mine was doing this for a while and then stopped basically on its own.
It gets even more annoying if you use the ConnectedDrive app on the phone, and have searched an address with it. Sometimes the car will decide "oh hey, you must want to go to this address because you searched it in the CDrive app on your phone, right?" and throw a popup asking you to navigate there. And it will keep doing this every time you get in the car...

I eventually got rid of that one by just telling it, "Sure, navigate to that address," and then I cancelled the route like 30 seconds later.

I can't understand what triggers the car to decide that it needs to do something with a phone app.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #12
haslamhazza1
Rep
Drives: M2

Got excited about this thread. Just not what I was expecting🤔
Appreciate 1