12-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

M2 vs M2 cs what will people be saying in a year or 2

I love my M2 and I wouldn't change it.

I'm confused, the original/first M2 comes with the N55, if the CS comes with the S engine, I bet in years to come or even sooner you will see people saying its not the classic/ true M2 as it doesn't have the N55 engine, it has the same engine as the M3/M4 ?

Before anyone says the N55 isn't a true M engine, the vehicle log book states it's an M2 so the car is an M2

I could be wrong and if I am, I'm sorry.
      12-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

In the scope of things to worry about, this is not one. It's all speculation. And in the end, does it matter? Are you looking at it as an investment? If so, that was probably an error. The beauty of the m2 is that it hit a sweet spot. Add more stuff, becomes too expensive and too heavy. In my line of thinking, in 25 years, cars now with tons of hi tech goodies will appear dated and be be expensive to repair. A good old fashion 6 speed, rear wheel car with no adjustable suspension, steering or butt scratchers will be desirable.

Now, tbh, if the s55 was the only thing added to the car for a few thousand more, I'd be in. I'm not interested in anything else that adds weight or cost.
Appreciate 2
Wilsm2187.50
      12-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
In the scope of things to worry about, this is not one. It's all speculation. And in the end, does it matter? Are you looking at it as an investment? If so, that was probably an error. The beauty of the m2 is that it hit a sweet spot. Add more stuff, becomes too expensive and too heavy. In my line of thinking, in 25 years, cars now with tons of hi tech goodies will appear dated and be be expensive to repair. A good old fashion 6 speed, rear wheel car with no adjustable suspension, steering or butt scratchers will be desirable.

Now, tbh, if the s55 was the only thing added to the car for a few thousand more, I'd be in. I'm not interested in anything else that adds weight or cost.
I totally agree, I read loads of speculation about the CS and I feel sorry for the people who own a M2 and kicking them selfs for not waiting. Enjoy the car.

Mine makes me smile every day and I love how unique it is, I have only seen one on the road.
      12-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
M2 vs M2 CS: what will people be saying in a year or two ?
1. Pfew, remember all that 2017 M2 variant speculation ?
2. What ? Still no M2 CSL ?
3. Also check what other car manufacturers have on offer.
4. I'm torn: should I order an M2 CP or M2 CS now or should I wait for the second-gen M2 ?
5. Life goes on. So do I.
      12-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I don't get it, cars will always get better. At some point, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll never have anything lol
Appreciate 1
Wharf Rat186.00
      12-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
I don't get it, cars will always get better. At some point, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll never have anything lol
There is always the next model, the newest model doesn't mean it's better.
      12-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
M2 vs M2 CS: what will people be saying in a year or two ?
1. Pfew, remember all that 2017 M2 variant speculation ?
2. What ? Still no M2 CSL ?
3. Also check what other car manufacturers have on offer.
4. I'm torn: should I order an M2 CP or M2 CS now or should I wait for the second-gen M2 ?
5. Life goes on. So do I.
Lol, Spot on. I could understand if Bmw had released official information on the cs/csl spec and date, why wait for something that could take 12/24 months to land at your dealer. And that's if they do release it.

I spoke to my local dealer the other day and he informed me they have taken 5 deposits, for a car they might not get. He said if we do we will only get 3 like the new M5. My dealer is one of the top dealers selling M cars in the UK,2nd to Park lane in London. 2 of the buyer will be disappointed ?
      12-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
And we don't know if it'll be bad either. You also just reinforced my point. The S55 In the M2 won't mean it's better, so, why wait?
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      12-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Quote:
And we don't know if it'll be bad either. You also just reinforced my point. The S55 In the M2 won't mean it's better, so, why wait?
Very true, the original M2 could become an icon with the n55.

I'm not a racing driver and I won't be taking my M2 on the track to race. All I know is, I test drove the 240i and M2 and fell in love with the M2. I loved the sound of the engine and exhaust and it was fast enough for me on IK roads. I have added the MPE and it makes it sound even better.
      12-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

My mini beast
Attached Images

12-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

12-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
jnoyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec

Quote:

I'm confused, the original/first M2 comes with the N55, if the CS comes with the S engine, I bet in years to come or even sooner you will see people saying its not the classic/ true M2 as it doesn't have the N55 engine, it has the same engine as the M3/M4 ?

Before anyone says the N55 isn't a true M engine, the vehicle log book states it's an M2 so the car is an M2

I remember when the 1M first came out, people were complaining about the N54 not being a true M engine. That talk seems to have passed entirely. In fact, it seems to have become the most coveted M car in recent history.

The fact that the M2 will eventually exist with another engine will make the N55 cars no less great, and likely no less coveted in the future IMO.
Appreciate 3
Wilsm2187.50
bobert858.50
      12-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Quote:

I remember when the 1M first came out, people were complaining about the N54 not being a true M engine. That talk seems to have passed entirely. In fact, it seems to have become the most coveted M car in recent history.

The fact that the M2 will eventually exist with another engine will make the N55 cars no less great, and likely no less coveted in the future IMO.
Very true, like I said, I'm not racing the car so 1/2 second faster doesn't interest me, a nicer sounding engine or and ok sound ??? I know what I would be choosing
      12-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

You have to do the thought experiment if after the n54 1m they did another model year placing the s65 engine into the following years car. How fondly would people view the n54 version? They probably wouldn't. Obviously everyone would be wishing they had picked up the classic s65 version of the 1m, with the "proper" m engine.

The s55 m2 will be looked back on as the way the m2 was supposed to be. The n55 version a fraud and a cruel joke on early suckers.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #15
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You have to do the thought experiment if after the n54 1m they did another model year placing the s65 engine into the following years car. How fondly would people view the n54 version? They probably wouldn't. Obviously everyone would be wishing they had picked up the classic s65 version of the 1m, with the "proper" m engine.

The s55 m2 will be looked back on as the way the m2 was supposed to be. The n55 version a fraud and a cruel joke on early suckers.
Hahaha. You're silly. We need more of your type on the forum. More humor. Welcome!

Last edited by six-n-twins53; 12-24-2017 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      12-25-2017, 03:24 AM   #16
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Fraud ???? How can it be fraud when it's the first M2.

If BMW release a full electric M car and they will, will that car be a fraud ??????

The way I look at it, if it states it's a M car on the log book it's a true M car.
      12-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #17
jnoyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fraud ???? How can it be fraud when it's the first M2.

If BMW release a full electric M car and they will, will that car be a fraud ??????

The way I look at it, if it states it's a M car on the log book it's a true M car.
The S52 M Coupe and Roadsters remained legit cars even when the S54 versions of the same cars came out. Granted, they were all "S" motors, but it's the situation most like this one. No frauds. All great M cars. Happy drivers. Once both versions are available in the secondary market, it's a just a matter of picking which engine you like best. No different than color or transmission.
Appreciate 2
Wilsm2187.50
      12-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #18
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
My mini beast
That's actually a really interesting photo. Would be even better without that advertisement on the pole, but I can Photoshop that out. Do you have that photo at a decent resolution, I'd like to see it larger. It's such a beautiful car - my first stop on the computer each morning is the LBB Photos thread on this forum to see if anyone has posted new shots of their M2. Such a great color, fantastic lines, sweet car. My passion for cars really dwindled over the last 10 years...and then I saw my first photo of an LBB M2. You're a lucky individual!

Edit: Just saw the other thread - this was an anniversary gift? Fantastic!

Last edited by Fear-Mongrel; 12-25-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #19
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

When I look back at the debut everyone was bummed that it didn’t have M Mirrors, CF Roof, bulged hood, M interior and lack of an M engine. Those were the most prominent complaints at the time. Yes some are purely aesthetic while others are for pure performance. From what we know the M2 Competiton will address some of these initial grievances. M mirrors are standard while optional sport seats (same as M3/4 Comp) will be offered and it gets the s55 engine. Like it or not it will be highly coveted by many. That’s not a knock on the current M2, just a fact. Ask yourself, if when buying the M2 they offered it with two engines, which would you choose? Bet the majority would go with the s55, exhaust tone warts and all.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

They'll probably be saying, "I wonder what those obsessed Worried Willies were saying a year or two ago"
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #21
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

I don’t know the reason why all you bought your M2, but I didn’t buy mine to please anyone else, or sell it. I definitely didn’t want an s55 car, if anything a b58 would have made me wait. Lots of reasons why I don’t want a “true M engine”, mostly because the n55 is at the end of line and incredibly reliable now.
Appreciate 2
Wilsm2187.50
bobert858.50
      12-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #22
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

I wanted an M3 until the M2 came out. Bought one & love the car. Don't care what iteration of the M2 comes next; I never live for the "next best thing."

But to answer the OP, I think they'll be saying 'nah, don't need the current M2, gonna wait to see what comes next, as it surely is gonna be better.'
Appreciate 0