BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > To clutch or not to clutch?

View Poll Results: Do you always use the clutch when shifting with 6MT?
I use the clutch every shift 66 91.67%
Sometime I just slip it in... 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

02-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I can do it, but I can also park on a hill and pop start the car, double declutch and make hand signals. Doesn't mean I do any of them regularly.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
For track use, that is correct. Albeit, the most stress that you put on a synchro is when you are forcing quick gear changes while using the clutch.

For getting around town, I am not that worried about the little lag that is caused by waiting for a 12:1 compression engine to slow down on an upshift (2-3). Downshift (3-2) requires a blip to match revs. If you are good at it (more of a challenge with drive by wire as the computer can get in the way), it is seamless and rewarding. This is one of the reasons I like standards. It takes more skill to drive them well.

It is also a great skill to have if you enduro race. Track we run has ~11 shifts per lap and 75 laps in a 2 hour stint for 825 shifts per stint. Over the 24 hours, the transmission will be shifted ~9900 times. If we do not rev match and use some finesse, even though we have synchros, you will upset the car as well as wear out the transmission and clutch.

Row row row your boat!!
using clutch while shifting doesnt upset anything.. actually the whole reason is of having a clutch is for making it smoother..

for able to shift faster without a clutch d need closer gear ratios.. like at most 500rpm difference on upper gear since the whole time of shifting ll require less time.. and for it you d need a 8-9speed manual gearbox which only can be found in trucks or something.. or you have to change ratios manually with aftermarket parts or something like in this video..

to sum up.. you may have more fun by not using clutch.. no one can tell anything about it but i dont think it requires more skill also.. or it requires the same skill driving with dark sunglasses in the night without headlights.. needless effort.. cause shaving time in track requires different skills which can not be copied.. only can be sharpened by time if you have some skill inside..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #25
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
using clutch while shifting doesnt upset anything.. actually the whole reason is of having a clutch is for making it smoother..
I disagree a little. Using the clutch AND matching revs will not upset the car. However, if you pile into a corner and downshift to 2nd gear and just dump the clutch, you will find yourself pointed in the wrong direction.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #26
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Only need to use the clutch when starting from a dead stop or coming to a stop. Clutch-less for both up shifts and down shifts.

I use clutchless on my motorcycle for upshifts, but downshifts are a bit tricky to do while rev-matching. Do you have a quick shifter or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #27
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
As suggested, do you always use the clutch when shifting gears or do you just slip it in?
That's what she said!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #28
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
I disagree a little. Using the clutch AND matching revs will not upset the car. However, if you pile into a corner and downshift to 2nd gear and just dump the clutch, you will find yourself pointed in the wrong direction.

Cheers,
i guess there is a misunderstanding Scharbag.. i ve said it cause it were sounding like using clutch is a bad thing for syncs etc.. other than that rev matching is of course needed..
Appreciate 0