BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Owner of a new M2 - Bonnet problems?

02-22-2018, 02:21 AM   #1
walkie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Owner of a new M2 - Bonnet problems?

Hello all, so first post here and I intend to stay

Picked up my new M2 a couple of days ago and am currently going through the laborious bedding in phase, however even up to 4k revs it is still much fun.

Anyways just a quick one, I popped the bonnet this morning out of intrigue and on the first pull of the flimsy plastic handle the right side (if your sat in the driving seat) popped slightly, on the 2nd pull the whole thing came up

Now imagine your stood in front of the car looking at it, when I put the bonnet back down the right side popped back in fine but the left side almost wouldn't go back in until I applied a lot of pressure. Looking at it closed the left side looks to be slightly out of line with the lines of the car and a little lower

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks

James
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:34 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

The owners handbook states when closing the bonnet to let it drop from approx 40cm, this normally allows it to engage both latches properly.
In most cases i find this does the job however if it doesn't i will re-open it and try again, i generally try to avoid physically pushing down on it to latch it in.

As for the alignment you can adjust the latches quite easily and see if that helps, there are also some rubber grommets you can wind in and out to see if that improves anything, i've messed with mine previously as i find the edges of my bonnet seem to not line up perfectly no matter what i try, also i have a slight low spot to the left the the BMW emblem.
Although the dealer offered to remove the front bumper and try and re-align it I've learnt to live with it as it's only really noticeable to my OCD eye.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:44 AM   #3
walkie
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your reply, that's definitely appeased me a little.

Being a newun I am a little OCD about it and had worried that my pushing had ruined it - knowing it can be adjusted though has calmed me down a little

I am not that bad, but you just notice these little things and struggle to unnotice them!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Walkie - You can really easily bend the bonnet if you try to close it the "old" way. A drop is essential with these new thin pedestrian impact front ends. You will get used to it!

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
walkie
Registered
Rep

Beginning to worry I may have bent it

The dip is only marginal but having a tad of OCD in me it does bother me

It may have always been misaligned?

Anyways, I've seen the adjuster on it i'll give that a couple of turns and see if it raises a little.

Will try and get some photo's up too
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
Similar situation with me, during one of the extremely cold weeks here in Canada (I wasn't driving it much in the month of January), I opened the hood to check and see where the battery terminals were. When shutting a minute or two later, the left side would not latch properly, repeated attemps, and it just wouldn't catch. Tried again after a few days and it shut properly. I'll have it checked out if it happens again, but has not happened since.

Doesn't seem to be misaligned.

S
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Congrats on the new car! Please post a photo I take delivery of mine on tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie View Post

Picked up my new M2 a couple of days ago and am currently going through the laborious bedding in phase, however even up to 4k revs it is still much fun.

Anyways just a quick one, I popped the bonnet this morning out of intrigue and on the first pull of the flimsy plastic handle the right side (if your sat in the driving seat) popped slightly, on the 2nd pull the whole thing came up

Now imagine your stood in front of the car looking at it, when I put the bonnet back down the right side popped back in fine but the left side almost wouldn't go back in until I applied a lot of pressure. Looking at it closed the left side looks to be slightly out of line with the lines of the car and a little lower

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks

James
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie View Post

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks

James
Pictures ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
walkie
Registered
Rep

Ok got some pics

1st is the right side - aligned and normal:

IMG_8608 by James Walkington, on Flickr

Right side normal:

IMG_8613 by James Walkington, on Flickr

Left side dip:

IMG_8609 by James Walkington, on Flickr

More pronounced angle:

IMG_8610 by James Walkington, on Flickr

Close up:

IMG_8611 by James Walkington, on Flickr

Thoughts? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #10
JonD999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Personally I’d take it into the dealer and get the to have a look at it, does look like some alignment is required
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Yeah left side looks like it may need a bit of adjustment, have the dealer take a gander, should be easy enough to fix or as i mentioned you may be able to do it yourself.
Let us know how you go.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Its really hardly noticeable to the average person if you ask me.

You can manually adjust the front bumper line a little, but anything beside that I doubt.

Personally, I looks acceptable to me, if you want someone else opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #13
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Dude...that would bug the sh!t out of me. As you said...once you see it...you can't un-see it. Take it in and get them to fix it. Like now.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

That is how the 2 series cars are in general. Poor front end panel gaps and alignment. I spent about 4 hours of time getting mine good enough for me. The wave you feel in the top part of the bumper is how it is made (like crap) and it varies from car to car.
      02-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #15
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

I don’t see anything worth freaking out... Except for that condensation in your headlights..!!

Last edited by S1monQc; 02-24-2018 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The double latch safety systems for the hood (bonnet) requires you drop it which kind of goes against all we have thought of when closing a hood but as stated above it is difficult to get both latches to grab properly if you don't drop it all the way. In regard to the gap you should look a the gaps all the way around the hood and how they match at the windshield, if they are consistent than not adjustment will be possible really. My guess is it is as good as it will get, I too have OCD so I know the feeling. The thing is when your driving it none of that matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #17
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
My 2012 328i has the same double pull hood (re: bonnet) opener as the M2.
The 328i wouldn't un-latch until I had the dealer re-adjust it.
No problem with the M2.
Appreciate 0