BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Crazy maybe, but I like Demuro

02-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The guy is annoying as hell... he has good points but it's all washed out by his lack of finesse.

His writing is very good however. I'd rather read his articles than watch his videos.

There's a ton of youtube car people. I can't say I like any one of them - they're all just acting for the camera. I ran into Shmee in person in Germany and he wasn't a complete douche but definitely not as friendly as his videos make him out to be. But I guess they make money and have millions of viewers so they can't be who they are in person vs on camera.

I do like the youtube Evo Magazine reviews and Autocar too. They have good reviewers and content. I also miss Fifth Gear with Tiff, Plato and Vicki... real car reviews, not vlogs.

Last edited by Z K; 02-01-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
He's annoying. So anyone can test brand new cars for a living now? How do I get in on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #25
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Doug is annoying i agree, but what else do we have ?? There definitely are much worse out there, at least Doug's format is unique and engaging somewhat.

If we only talk about YouTube automotive reviewer, then Savageese is right on top for me

no one else does better than Savageese.

I find that he is usually 90 to 95% in agreement with my views of car and what a car should be.

He can be a bit boring at times, but the subtle humor and sarcasm make up for it.

Rising stars are also TheStraightPipes guys Yuri and whoever I forgot his name....
They are funny !
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #26
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Doug is annoying i agree, but what else do we have ?? There definitely are much worse out there, at least Doug's format is unique and engaging somewhat.

If we only talk about YouTube automotive reviewer, then Savageese is right on top for me

no one else does better than Savageese.

I find that he is usually 90 to 95% in agreement with my views of car and what a car should be.

He can be a bit boring at times, but the subtle humor and sarcasm make up for it.

Rising stars are also TheStraightPipes guys Yuri and whoever I forgot his name....
They are funny !
+++1 on both SavageGeese and StraightPipes (the other guy is Jakub - just like Jacob).
I've been a fan of SavageGeese since their first review ever, they are the best independent source on Youtube, period!
And StraightPipes are just two guys who drive and review cars from a regular persons's perspective - they are by no means experts but they do not pretend to be and they are clearly having a blast while doing it. They are funny and they have some really surprisingly good filming going on in there too...
Definitely recommend both channels!!!

Still, DeMURO is a classic and I appreciate the fact he reviews some very interesting cars from time to time.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #27
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

He needs to learn to speak with a British accent. And learn to drift.

I dunno man. I tend to agree with 90% of his points. Yes his voice sucks. No he's not the most well dressed man. And no he doesn't drift around every corner. But I can't help but chuckle and nod. He has a way of pulling what's in MY head out in a comical voice and delivery.

But he is what he is. The Dan Neil of auto vlogs IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2018, 03:13 AM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I've followed him for years. I like that he's honest and doesn't hold back on ripping cars that deserve it. From the unique cars he reviews to his "quirky" personality he's definitely carved his own niche. I don't follow the youtubers who just show off the money they were born into and perform dangerous stunts with their cars for clicks.

The only questionable vid from Doug was the NSX. It definitely felt like Honda was paying him to say such nice things about such an obviously flawed car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:16 AM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
There's a ton of youtube car people. I can't say I like any one of them - they're all just acting for the camera. I ran into Shmee in person in Germany and he wasn't a complete douche but definitely not as friendly as his videos make him out to be. But I guess they make money and have millions of viewers so they can't be who they are in person vs on camera.
I met Porker and Eddie from VV when they were still in Michigan and doing vids together. Porker was actually pretty nice and appreciated me noticing him. He asked me a lot about what I do and the like. He did give off a slightly douchey vibe but was find otherwise. Eddie was the nicest guy ever.

But ever since the story about how Porker treated Eddie and him going all clickbait and moving to LA, I've completely stopped watching his stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #30
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

All of these YouTube car people reviewing the same HyperCars gets old quickly. That’s why channels like Petrolicious are so rewarding. Let the owners tell the story behind their cars. And the cinematography is a lot better than some YT “influencer” holding a go-pro at his own face.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #31
maxvegas
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 530xi

I feel as though, compared to other automotive youtubers, doug tries to appeal to the general mass and potential buyers, not pure car enthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #32
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I like that he talks about every day cars and goes over them. The driving part is my least favorite. I could care less about Shmee “reviewing” yet another short term lease he pocked up.
Appreciate 0