BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Any previous/current M4 or 911 owners regret M2 purchase?

12-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #23
BMW_M2
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I have driven the M4 and M3, I think they are too big & heavy compared to the M2.

I also own a 991, I don't think it is a good comparison to the M2.

Ulimately Porsche is a Porsche, handling and steering is on another level.

However the M2 gives you a more all rounded car, it's cheaper, it's less flashy, it's more of a daily driver, its more comfortable, tech is better. I use the M2 way more than the 911. Handling isn't bad but not at a Porsche level.

I also use to have a BMW M135i before my M2. After owning the M2, I believe the M135i is a bargain !

If you could only chose one car as a sports car then I would chose a 911 or Cayman S (provided it is ur 2nd car). If you can only have one car then I would chose the M2 over the 911 or Cayman.

Depending on country, if the Cayman S doesnt cost much more than the M2 then I would chose the Cayman S. Where I am from the Cayman S costs 40%+ more than the M2, so the M2 is a no brainer.

Instagram: jy8xx8
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
$190k for a GT3? The new one starts at $144k and when I played with the Porsche configurator, I didn't see the need for hardly any options...
The average MSRP with options is $172k +/-

It is quite easy to get there.

The Houston example has a large mark up of course.

The .2 may base @ $144k. However, there are quite a few 'must have' options; Carbon Buckets, Full Leather (cannot imagine a car at this price point without ~ GT3 or not), Lift, etc. For me PCCBs are must have this round.

Last edited by devo; 12-07-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #25
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

To OP:

I've owned a few 911s and a few GT3s. I use my M2 as a DD and love it. It's is perfect for its intended use given its price point.
      12-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #26
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
Manual from 911 R is still different I believe. The 911 R got a single mass flywheel that is exclusive to it. Actual box may be the same, but it won't shift the same. At least that's what a 911 R and Porsche VIP owner told me.
Correct.

However, the .2 GT3 has arguably a better engine and Motorsport derived unlike the .1 GT3/RS/R.
      12-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
JimmyS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Prior to my M2 purchase, I had a 991.1 GTS, and before that a 991.1 4S.

As the GTS lease was coming due, I took a 991.2 GTS for a test ride it just didn't do it for me. The chassis felt like they made it more "comfy" and the turbo motor while making nice power, didn't have that excitement of the screaming NA motor. As already mentioned, the GT3 fits what I want but I'm not ready to spend that amount of $$ for a new one.

So, I ended up with a 2000 mile used 2017 Performance Edition the dealer had on the lot and it will fill the gap until a nice used GT3 rolls into my dealers inventory.

I gotta say, the M2 is REAL FUN to drive on the street. It aint no 911, but the hooligan smiles it gives me has earned its spot in my garage and I no longer think of it as a "placeholder".
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #28
SHAGG
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1997 Land Rover Def ...  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 Porsche GT3 RS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post

I gotta say, the M2 is REAL FUN to drive on the street. It aint no 911, but the hooligan smiles it gives me has earned its spot in my garage and I no longer think of it as a "placeholder".
This 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #29
ags28
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Before I bought my M2, I had a 2007 997 Turbo. Neither car is my daily driver - that job goes to my 2016 Nissan Desert Runner pickup. Driving the Porsche on the street was a real challenge, because every time you really got on it, you'd be going 110 mph in no time! Obviously, the M2 isn't quite as fast, but its still plenty fast for me. Ultimately, I gave up the Porsche due to the high maintenance costs. In my opinion, the M2 is much more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #30
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

The verdict is still out for me as I haven’t passed the break in yet. I had a 997.1 C2S and I’m a little disappointed in the M2. It’s a very capable car, but when I got into the 997 it felt like a sports car at any speed, while the M2 feels more sedanish.

The M2 power delivery doesn’t feel as good (less linear, less direct connection between throttle and engine) even if it’s faster. The 997 was twitchy, it always felt like it was tempting you to go, while the M2 is much more subdued.

I have some regrets getting rid of the 997, but I really didn’t want to deal with bore scoring or any other $20k engine repairs. Plus my car was getting a little long in tooth as it was peppered with rock chips from charging the canyons.

I plan to track the M2, so I won’t pass final judgement until then.

Edit: Hi ags28! Met you at the Chevron on Fig and Colorado the other day!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
The verdict is still out for me as I haven’t passed the break in yet. I had a 997.1 C2S and I’m a little disappointed in the M2. It’s a very capable car, but when I got into the 997 it felt like a sports car at any speed, while the M2 feels more sedanish.

The M2 power delivery doesn’t feel as good (less linear, less direct connection between throttle and engine) even if it’s faster. The 997 was twitchy, it always felt like it was tempting you to go, while the M2 is much more subdued
Not surprising. I think given the choice, money no object for a non-daily car, most people would pick the 997. I probably would. I think the "whole package" aspect of the M2 is pretty appealing, though. Maybe track time will change your mind...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #32
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Used to own a 981 Cayman GTS, with all the goodies, PDK, PTV, PCCB, etc etc, previous to that I had a E46 M3, E92 M3, E82 1M, current car is the F87 M2 All briljant cars, but best was the 1M and M2

Than the CGTS came along, briljant in looks interior and exterior wise, as stated in another post; the PDK is indeed lightyears ahead compared to BMW M-DCT (a test-drove a F82 M4, I disliked the DCT) its much more alive, crisp, intuitive.
Road compliance on the GTS was out of this world, there is now way BMW can hold that level, non of mine previous BMW`s have ever had that kind of excellent road behavior.
The weekst point to me on the GTS was it steering, it has a relatively slow steering ratio compared to the 1M and certainly to the M2, this initial steering input is the best I have ever had, feeling is not that wel, but the way it reacts is expert level IMHO. The CGTS was so annoying on steering input I sold it, otherwise it was perfect.
Now the M2 is a nice car, but a little bumpy on the backside, on sound not that bad, CGTS clear winner on sound obviously.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #33
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I went from a Cayman S (981 Nasp 3.4) to the M2 via an order for the 991.2 carrera T. Ive driven plenty of 911s at Porsche's experience centre. My take is the 911 is a car you drive very seriously. Same with the cayman its a serious car for serious drivers.... I test drove the M2 and thought "this is a bloody laugh (actually laughed out loud), and hang on 45k cheaper than the 911???" Needless to say I cancelled my order and my M2 is now sat outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #34
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Same boat as others here (even though I don't have my m2 quite yet). I've had a couple Porsche GT cars and driven a lot of non GT variants. They're excellent cars, and I'll likely have more in the future. M2 is more than enough car for the street and being so much less expensive (and offering slightly more utility), makes it less worrisome to toss around, mod, etc.
      01-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #35
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
Prior to my M2 purchase, I had a 991.1 GTS, and before that a 991.1 4S.

As the GTS lease was coming due, I took a 991.2 GTS for a test ride it just didn't do it for me. The chassis felt like they made it more "comfy" and the turbo motor while making nice power, didn't have that excitement of the screaming NA motor. As already mentioned, the GT3 fits what I want but I'm not ready to spend that amount of $$ for a new one.

So, I ended up with a 2000 mile used 2017 Performance Edition the dealer had on the lot and it will fill the gap until a nice used GT3 rolls into my dealers inventory.

Kinda funny. I currently have a 991.1 GTS, 991.1 4S prior. Same cars as you.

I'm simply looking to downsize my car allowance a bit, feeling a bit guilty driving around a $100k DD. Just other things more important in life, plus some of the jealousy you get driving a $100k Porsche.

Which led me to the M2, GT350, or E92 M3.

Test drove the M2 today. Its not as well engineered as the GTS, nothing is as precise. Its like everything has a little rubber around it vs the GTS. Plus the NA motor just sounds sooo good behind you. So flat out the GTS is better at everything, and the back seats are fine for my kids the frunk is decent sized.

BUT is it $50k better? For my needs, no. I"m highly considering jumping into the M2 as its a fun all around car. I'm afraid of going back to the E92 due to the engine issues, even though my heart loves that V8.

I owned a 15 M3 for 5 months. The sound was crappy, and its just too BIG for fun backroads driving where I live in Nashville. If I lived in a city "grid" I would go M3. But if you want a backroads carver that sounds decent then M2.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #36
tacoma290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT | 01 330Ci

Just turned in my M4, and picked up my M2 this weekend. I'll post later with more experience as the new car smell decreases.

Initial impressions:
Size: The M4 was big. Bigger than it needed to be; really a GT that aspires to be sporty. I drive into the city often enough that the size of the M2 is an advantage. I am struck at how much smaller the car feels, in a good way.
Feedback: M2 is nimble. The M2 gives so much more feedback and feels quite planted. M2 is a big improvement over the M4 in that way.
Interior appearance: The M4 interior is so much nicer. I struggled during order and wait process with the downgrade interior of the M2... until I drove it. I spend way more time looking out than looking at the boring black seats. I can live with it no problem.

What do I miss from the M4:
Seats: Seats were more comfortable in the M4. I am hoping I get used to the M2.
Sound: I was one of few who somehow liked the sound of the M4. While I didn't hear the angels sing as I tore through a corner, I did like the raw anger. Although the M2 has a better engine note quality, it is more subdued from the inside.
The HUD: Even worked pretty well with sunglasses.
The power: I am missing a bit of the power and torque, but its not the end of the world. [I will be putting in the Dinan turbo, tune, exhaust, intercooler kit at break-in so take that with a grain of salt]
Fuel Tank: The tank goes for 15.9 gallons in the M4 to 13.7 gallons in the M2.

The car is my everything car (trip to AutoX, business, groceries), and so compromises are expected. I love driving actively so the M2 is a net improvement to me. Hope this helps!
      02-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #37
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma290 View Post
The power: I am missing a bit of the power and torque, but its not the end of the world. [I will be putting in the Dinan turbo, tune, exhaust, intercooler kit at break-in so take that with a grain of salt]
The Dinan P2 package will transform the car whereby generating stock M4 power with a deeper exhaust note. Add a downpipe (Fabspeed is the most popular) and I guarantee you you'll like the sound better than your M4, maybe by a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:36 PM   #38
ilvtofu
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Heh although I probably wouldn't have spent the extra money if it were an option, it'd be nice to see HUD on the M2.

Former 997.1 Turbo 6MT owner, the Porsche is on a different level in terms of the sense of quality, I don't think any BMW comes close. That being said, I'm having a lot more fun in the M2 thanks to the size, powerband, and FR dynamics. The M2 doesn't have the same sense of occasion but I'm really enjoying it as a daily driver.
      02-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #39
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Just turned in my M4, and picked up my M2 this weekend. I'll post later with more experience as the new car smell decreases.

Initial impressions:
Size: The M4 was big. Bigger than it needed to be; really a GT that aspires to be sporty. I drive into the city often enough that the size of the M2 is an advantage. I am struck at how much smaller the car feels, in a good way.
Feedback: M2 is nimble. The M2 gives so much more feedback and feels quite planted. M2 is a big improvement over the M4 in that way.
Interior appearance: The M4 interior is so much nicer. I struggled during order and wait process with the downgrade interior of the M2... until I drove it. I spend way more time looking out than looking at the boring black seats. I can live with it no problem.

What do I miss from the M4:
Seats: Seats were more comfortable in the M4. I am hoping I get used to the M2.
Sound: I was one of few who somehow liked the sound of the M4. While I didn't hear the angels sing as I tore through a corner, I did like the raw anger. Although the M2 has a better engine note quality, it is more subdued from the inside.
The HUD: Even worked pretty well with sunglasses.
Fuel Tank: The tank goes for 15.9 gallons in the M4 to 13.7 gallons in the M2.

The car is my everything car (trip to AutoX, business, groceries), and so compromises are expected. I love driving actively so the M2 is a net improvement to me. Hope this helps!
Getting a downpipe and charge pipe too?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #40
tacoma290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT | 01 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Getting a downpipe and charge pipe too?
Yes thinking about the DP. For now, my immediate focus is getting through break-in to add the Dinan P2 go faster parts.
      02-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #41
shao_khan
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 330dxm & M2 lci

991 c4s was previous car, had to sell as needed something bigger so replaced that with a MAcan S and have the M2 as something to have a bit of fun in.

The 911 was a fantastic car, but you know what I love the M2 as well, it isnt as 'good' as the 911 but it makes me smile when I drive it and I think thats what matters. Given the cost differential I doubt I'd buy another 911 as both cars currently cost less than that one, so I have fun and practical, in my circumstances I doubt that will change any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #42
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shao_khan View Post
991 c4s was previous car, had to sell as needed something bigger so replaced that with a MAcan S and have the M2 as something to have a bit of fun in.

The 911 was a fantastic car, but you know what I love the M2 as well, it isnt as 'good' as the 911 but it makes me smile when I drive it and I think thats what matters. Given the cost differential I doubt I'd buy another 911 as both cars currently cost less than that one, so I have fun and practical, in my circumstances I doubt that will change any time soon.
I sold my 911 GTS and replaced it with a 17 M2 and a brand new 18 Q7 for my wife. Got 2 cars for the price of 1

The M2 is a great "3 tenths to 7 tenths" car. Where the 911 is a great "7 tenths to ten ten" car.

I can honestly say I dont "miss" the 911. But I do miss my E92 M3.

At some point I'll add something to the stable for weekend and back roads blasts. Either Boxter GTS, E92 M3, etc. In the meantime I'm enjoying the extra cash in the bank and trying out the M2 experience.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #43
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Yes thinking about the DP. For now, my immediate focus is getting through break-in to add the Dinan P2 go faster parts.
Well, the DP and P2 certainly transforms the car. The chassis, suspension, and brakes can cope with the extra 100+ hp on the street. Wider rear rubber is suggested though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #44
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximoosh View Post
I went from a Cayman S (981 Nasp 3.4) to the M2 via an order for the 991.2 carrera T. Ive driven plenty of 911s at Porsche's experience centre. My take is the 911 is a car you drive very seriously. Same with the cayman its a serious car for serious drivers.... I test drove the M2 and thought "this is a bloody laugh (actually laughed out loud), and hang on 45k cheaper than the 911???" Needless to say I cancelled my order and my M2 is now sat outside.
that's what I felt after driving a 911. they are too serious for my taste. I love how easily I can get in to the M2, go fast, stop fast, and still look good while saving a bunch of money.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1