BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs 718 boxster GTS

02-04-2018, 02:12 AM   #23
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
“Psche” has become a punching bag of late for neutering their f6 to f4, and I think they deserve every punch that comes their way. They have a f6 2.7 ready to use but, nooooo, let’s make sure Boxster/Cayman owners that spend 60-100k on the car that they are acutely aware they are a class or two beneath Porsche’s preferred clientele.

I hope Porsche comes to its sense and put a proper f6 turbo in the next Boxster/Cayman. Otherwise it might as well discontinue the line.
They seem to get to a really high level and then think "our customers are idiots, lets treat them that way!" And then people walk away from them and then they fix the issues... creating the "poor man's porsche" from the Cayman, boxster with the 718 when it wasn't seen that way before is a perfect example of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #24
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I was planning on getting a Porsche turbo when my kid goes to college... I wasn’t planing on it being a 4 cylinder lol. No but seriously. Such a turnoff...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #25
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

Got invited to testdrive a 718 gts pdk for an hour today(I think they looked up my18 m2 owners and sent invites to them) so me and a friend of mine went.

1st of the cayman is a much more special car to look at and sit in, feels (and costs) like an other league.
It felt rather special and everything feels amazing and had a very minimalistic feel to it.

Things that were superior to the m2 were steering, seatingposition and handling.
It didn't however feel that much lighter than the m2 and certainly not any quicker! We were surpised by how slow it felt.

And the sound wasnt as dissapointing as we thought it would be, way over expectation but nowhere close to the M2.

But in the end I dont think many crosshops these 2, one is a 50k usd car the other costs 80% more the way you want it.

I am however really interested in driving a Cayman R or a 981 s/gts.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Maximoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isty View Post
Got invited to testdrive a 718 gts pdk for an hour today(I think they looked up my18 m2 owners and sent invites to them) so me and a friend of mine went.

1st of the cayman is a much more special car to look at and sit in, feels (and costs) like an other league.
It felt rather special and everything feels amazing and had a very minimalistic feel to it.

Things that were superior to the m2 were steering, seatingposition and handling.
It didn't however feel that much lighter than the m2 and certainly not any quicker! We were surpised by how slow it felt.

And the sound wasnt as dissapointing as we thought it would be, way over expectation but nowhere close to the M2.

But in the end I dont think many crosshops these 2, one is a 50k usd car the other costs 80% more the way you want it.

If you drive a 981 S/GTS the "problem" with the 718 will become very clear. It sounds like hell compared to the glorious flat 6 howl of any 981 (make sure if its an S it has the sports exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #27
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isty View Post

It might not feel quicker but every instrumented test shows it is quite a bit quicker than an M2, especially as speeds increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:18 AM   #28
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It might not feel quicker but every instrumented test shows it is quite a bit quicker than an M2, especially as speeds increase.
That was something we noticed, it pulled as hard above 100kmh as it did 0-100kmh!
Appreciate 0