BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A (private) dealer sold me an M2 with a flagged VIN... what do I do?

05-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #155
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannydraws View Post
Sorry I went MIA for a few days, I was out of town for a triathlon trying to forget about this bullshit so I could focus on the race. But, here's the current SITCH on my M2:

There's good and bad news. As a quick recap, I took my car to bmw to get serviced and a diff fault fixed, consequently learning my warranty is voided because the car was tuned, there's also a downpipe installed and the rear diff has been beat to shit so i need a new one. Yipee. After talking and begging and whining with BMW tirelessly, they have decided that they will "honor" my warranty for future parts and services if I tune back to stock and reinstall the cat. So I have to pay around 7 grand for the de-tune, cat install and new diff/ install.. which obviously sucks, but they say they will then honor the warranty for the remaining 4 years. And this offer is coming from an official BMW rep, I forget his exact title but he oversees all of Socal BMW dealerships. I'm trying to get as much on paper and written down as I can, but for the most part I'm just going to have to take their word for it. They know my car and situation now, they feel bad that all this falls into my lap and I'm honestly impressed with how they are dealing with the situation. I will be going to the original private BMW dealer (CA Beemers) later to have them take responsibility for as much of the costs as possible, but I have no idea how that will go. At this point, I'm just happy I'll get my car back in working order. And I'm glad the BMW rep is so understanding and willing to work with the situation in an honorable fashion. Wheeeew.. this has been interesting.
The reason they will " honor " the original warranty is because they are required to by federal law.

They are trying to make this sound like a favor but if they had any other position you should be calling the FBI.

Return your car to stock ( which is the way any person who really cares about their vehicle warranty should keep it ) , and sorry about the differential. I'm still not sure how it's been proven that the diff failure is from a tune and removing the catalytic converter, but it certainly seems possible that the prior owner may have damaged the car and knew it and dumped it before the problem got worse... and of course they dumped it by selling to a non BMW dealer so that the issue wouldn't immediately be known.

If you actually went and pursued the dealer legally this all might come out under discovery ... but that's a long and more expense path more than likely and I'm certainly not recommending it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #156
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Hey Andrew, I'm curious, what did you mess up in coding; did you de-code "no clutch pedal to start" and inadvertently disabled the clutch pedal sensor (needed for rev-matching)?
Yea that's exactly what happened
      05-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #157
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannydraws View Post
Sorry I went MIA for a few days, I was out of town for a triathlon trying to forget about this bullshit so I could focus on the race. But, here's the current SITCH on my M2:

There's good and bad news. As a quick recap, I took my car to bmw to get serviced and a diff fault fixed, consequently learning my warranty is voided because the car was tuned, there's also a downpipe installed and the rear diff has been beat to shit so i need a new one. Yipee. After talking and begging and whining with BMW tirelessly, they have decided that they will "honor" my warranty for future parts and services if I tune back to stock and reinstall the cat. So I have to pay around 7 grand for the de-tune, cat install and new diff/ install.. which obviously sucks, but they say they will then honor the warranty for the remaining 4 years. And this offer is coming from an official BMW rep, I forget his exact title but he oversees all of Socal BMW dealerships. I'm trying to get as much on paper and written down as I can, but for the most part I'm just going to have to take their word for it. They know my car and situation now, they feel bad that all this falls into my lap and I'm honestly impressed with how they are dealing with the situation. I will be going to the original private BMW dealer (CA Beemers) later to have them take responsibility for as much of the costs as possible, but I have no idea how that will go. At this point, I'm just happy I'll get my car back in working order. And I'm glad the BMW rep is so understanding and willing to work with the situation in an honorable fashion. Wheeeew.. this has been interesting.
Is the dealer willing to tell you the launch control count? Not that it matters at this point but I'm betting it may be related more to excessive launches vs. a tune?

If they will accept it, it might be worth looking for a used cat from someone who installed a downpipe and also reselling the downpipe that's on the car.

Shame you inherited someone else problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #158
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Hey Andrew, I'm curious, what did you mess up in coding; did you de-code "no clutch pedal to start" and inadvertently disabled the clutch pedal sensor (needed for rev-matching)?
Yea that's exactly what happened
Happened to me also; I was soo scared that I messed up my car.. lol. But I just used the back-ups to fix it... Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #159
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Happened to me also; I was soo scared that I messed up my car.. lol. But I just used the back-ups to fix it... Thanks for the reply!
This was a long time ago. For some reason backups didn't fix the issue. That's why I had to use my last resort and have the dealership deal with it.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50