BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Apple iPhone X- Buy or wait

11-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #287
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Here is my two cents worth and may be the experts in here can help me to reach a decision as well.

I do not think there is anything revolutionary about the X per se compared with other phones that have been there and done that.

I am a bit of a health geek and to me having millions of tiny infrared beams fire at your face to detect it is not good for you - SARS ratings aside.

I was definitely not impressed with the face id demo flop. Then it went quiet from Apple with some theories from popular news sites.

For me. Often having the phone flat on my work desk and touching the finger id button is more convenient than arching over so my face could be detected. I use apply finger id to pay for things a lot as well. Standing there and looking like I am taking a selfie does not appeal to me.

Okay yes it was established earlier that there are less iPhone 8 blowing up than wonders of the world but that does not inspire me about the X.

I have had iPhone since the 3... each model up to the 7. I read an article the other day saying what next? The phone game is at an all time high so how does it get better than this?

My wife keeps asking me if I want the X or 8 and I still cannot decide. I ordered her the X. Although my 7 is faulty and out of apple care, there is a little pressure to decide.

To me the 8 and X appear pretty similar bar camera and ugly screen notch. I think I need a home button. Anyone else managed to make a decision yet?

Even if I was in my car and the phone in the arm rest then I would have to remove it from the cradle to look at it and use it?
I've wrestled with the exact same issues you have. I decided that sometimes you just have to jump in. I didn't like the idea of finger biometrics either, but quickly adapted. If I truly dislike the X, I can either return it in 14 days, or sell it and get my money back plus more on ebay. It's almost a no brainer.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
dinonz3216.00
Soul_Glo13361.50
      11-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #288
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Here is my two cents worth and may be the experts in here can help me to reach a decision as well.

I do not think there is anything revolutionary about the X per se compared with other phones that have been there and done that.

I am a bit of a health geek and to me having millions of tiny infrared beams fire at your face to detect it is not good for you - SARS ratings aside.

I was definitely not impressed with the face id demo flop. Then it went quiet from Apple with some theories from popular news sites.

For me. Often having the phone flat on my work desk and touching the finger id button is more convenient than arching over so my face could be detected. I use apply finger id to pay for things a lot as well. Standing there and looking like I am taking a selfie does not appeal to me.

Okay yes it was established earlier that there are less iPhone 8 blowing up than wonders of the world but that does not inspire me about the X.

I have had iPhone since the 3... each model up to the 7. I read an article the other day saying what next? The phone game is at an all time high so how does it get better than this?

My wife keeps asking me if I want the X or 8 and I still cannot decide. I ordered her the X. Although my 7 is faulty and out of apple care, there is a little pressure to decide.

To me the 8 and X appear pretty similar bar camera and ugly screen notch. I think I need a home button. Anyone else managed to make a decision yet?

Even if I was in my car and the phone in the arm rest then I would have to remove it from the cradle to look at it and use it?
I've wrestled with the exact same issues you have. I decided that sometimes you just have to jump in. I didn't like the idea of finger biometrics either, but quickly adapted. If I truly dislike the X, I can either return it in 14 days, or sell it and get my money back plus more on ebay. It's almost a no brainer.
Going to bite the bullet
That's right. If I don't like it then I can I send it back.
Appreciate 1
jmg18783.50
      11-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #289
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Mine says delivery December 13-17th
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #290
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
mine too, u think it will move up?
      11-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #291
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
at the end of the day, it's an iPhone. It will function the same way as it has from the very beginning. Sure, a few new gestures, but it's simply a refinement to what Apple has been striving for since the very beginning.. a phone with all display and nothing else.

Quote:
Your face is bombarded by IR everywhere you go. There is more IR exposure from the Sun or your lightbulb or your oven than the dot projector or flood illuminator from the iPhone X. You cannot perceive IR except in the form of heat. You have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
It wasn't a flop. It worked as intended. There were other people handling the phone and when the those people activated it, the iPhone registered those faces as a false ID (i.e. not Craig Federighi). The same thing happens when you register the wrong finger on TouchID too many times. Biometric security is never perfect in anywhere. It's a safeguard to the most important security feature, which is your passcode.

Quote:

The rest depends on your use case and only you can judge whether this device is right for you. The worst thing that can happen is that you use it, don't like it, and either return it within the 14 day return policy or sell it for some profit (even if it's open). Nothing to lose really.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13361.50
      11-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #292
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Quote:
at the end of the day, it's an iPhone. It will function the same way as it has from the very beginning. Sure, a few new gestures, but it's simply a refinement to what Apple has been striving for since the very beginning.. a phone with all display and nothing else.

Quote:
Your face is bombarded by IR everywhere you go. There is more IR exposure from the Sun or your lightbulb or your oven than the dot projector or flood illuminator from the iPhone X. You cannot perceive IR except in the form of heat. You have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
It wasn't a flop. It worked as intended. There were other people handling the phone and when the those people activated it, the iPhone registered those faces as a false ID (i.e. not Craig Federighi). The same thing happens when you register the wrong finger on TouchID too many times. Biometric security is never perfect in anywhere. It's a safeguard to the most important security feature, which is your passcode.

Quote:

The rest depends on your use case and only you can judge whether this device is right for you. The worst thing that can happen is that you use it, don't like it, and either return it within the 14 day return policy or sell it for some profit (even if it's open). Nothing to lose really.
So those who didn't pre order because it was too expensive or they weren't sure they wanted to upgrade should have pre ordered anyway. If you change your mind you can return it or sell it and make a profit!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #293
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So those who didn't pre order because it was too expensive or they weren't sure they wanted to upgrade should have pre ordered anyway. If you change your mind you can return it or sell it and make a profit!
Pretty much! Otherwise you are left scrambling trying to find one at retail price, stock will probably be pretty low until after Christmas.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562985.50
      11-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #294
ASAP
Major General
Rep

fyi... best buy will no longer sell iphones at full price
      11-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #295
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
or is waiting a month for a bloody freakin phone that difficult?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #296
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
or is waiting a month for a bloody freakin phone that difficult?
I think it's going to be longer than a month and why wait if with better planning you can have it sooner?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #297
ASAP
Major General
Rep

i am to this day trying to figure out who the asshole behind the flat interface was... talk about an indistinction between edges, and the entire phone menu bing completely messy... thank god they brought back the bezeled 3d layout back w ios11 and it finally looks clean again
      11-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #298
Swizzie7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

My order through T-mobile just updated from 11/17 ship date to 11/2-11/3....let's see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #299
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Hopefully they don't cancel current orders. I have 2 for store pickup next week.

After some early reviews I am not that confident it's worth the upgrade (I have 6s plus). I Will probably play with 1 of the phones to see if I like it. If I don't I will return all 4 that I pre-ordered.
- touchID is way more convenient for me. I can unlock the phone at work without lifting it.
- the notch just seems weird. You don't get the full screen benefit and doesn't flow well with apps).
- repair prices (substantially more expensive to repair. $279 screen replacement and $549 everything else).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #300
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
Quote:
Hopefully they don't cancel current orders. I have 2 for store pickup next week.

After some early reviews I am not that confident it's worth the upgrade (I have 6s plus). I Will probably play with 1 of the phones to see if I like it. If I don't I will return all 4 that I pre-ordered.
- touchID is way more convenient for me. I can unlock the phone at work without lifting it.
- the notch just seems weird. You don't get the full screen benefit and doesn't flow well with apps).
- repair prices (substantially more expensive to repair. $279 screen replacement and $549 everything else).
Face ID can be fooled if you have a twin brother or sister, vs. Touch ID cannot. Not an issue for me, but seems like Touch ID is more secure, though it can be fooled though not as easily. I brought mine for $1200, but am trading in my old phone and also I'm doing it by payments. Also made several thousand dollars the same day I brought the phone in Apple stock thanks to the stock price increasing by nearly $10 a share in the 3 days after the iPhone went on sale. I'm just getting it so I can have the latest model, and I've already made back the money that I spent . That's why I tell all the scalpers out there to buy stock instead, I've already made my money back, literally the same day I brought the phone! . As far as repair prices, I'm thinking of getting Apple Care, but I've never damaged my screen or broke my phones in the past.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #301
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Quote:
I think delivery dates might very depending on service provider, I'm Verizon
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:44 AM   #302
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think delivery dates might very depending on service provider, I'm Verizon
unlocked from apple, full cash price
      11-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #303
ASAP
Major General
Rep

What's interesting is that I started reading the specs on these phones in terms of processing speed -

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

If you ask me, the best value of all iphones right now is the Iphone 7... except with the 10 you get the OLED screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #304
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
What's interesting is that I started reading the specs on these phones in terms of processing speed -

If you ask me, the best value of all iphones right now is the Iphone 7... except with the 10 you get the OLED screen.
Yeah that's was my original posting. How the 7 is the best bang for the buck spec wise. But the 8 and 10 have their own perks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #305
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

single core performance was slightly bumped up, but its the multi-threaded workloads you have to look at. Apple is really pushing AR, therefore the newer 8s and Xs will benefit from the updated chips. ive played with a few basic AR apps/games and my 7+ started draining through battery and got hot really really quick, whereas i haven't seen issues like that with the newer phones.

but when it comes to basic tasks (texting, checking email, whatever), then yes, the speed difference wont be as drastic. depends on everyone's use case.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #306
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

single core performance was slightly bumped up, but its the multi-threaded workloads you have to look at. Apple is really pushing AR, therefore the newer 8s and Xs will benefit from the updated chips. ive played with a few basic AR apps/games and my 7+ started draining through battery and got hot really really quick, whereas i haven't seen issues like that with the newer phones.

but when it comes to basic tasks (texting, checking email, whatever), then yes, the speed difference wont be as drastic. depends on everyone's use case.
biggesr concern is overall mutlitasking speed and app switching etc
      11-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #307
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
that shouldn't be too resource intensive. pretty much both the 7 and 8/X will be fast. X and plus models have 3GB of RAM which should make a bit of a differnce in terms of memory.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #308
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that shouldn't be too resource intensive. pretty much both the 7 and 8/X will be fast. X and plus models have 3GB of RAM which should make a bit of a differnce in terms of memory.
The X will most likely be the same as the 8 in terms of speed, with the larger memory version having faster flash storage than the base model so it will be noticeably faster. Surprised no one has tested the 64gb vs the 256 gb to see if it's faster. As is the case with the 7 plus.
Appreciate 0