BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will I regret ordering M2 now instead of waiting for M2 Competition ?

02-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Will I regret ordering M2 now instead of waiting for M2 Competition ?

The lease on my '15 m235i is expiring in the end of May, so I stopped by my dealership today to order a new m240i, but ended up ordering the M2.

Now I'm a little bit worried that I made a rushed decision. I really don't want to read though all the pages of information (and rumors) on the upcoming M2 Competition, so can someone provide cliff notes?

One of the thing that I'm least happy about with the M2 is lack of colors. I happen to like bright colors - my current m235i is red, and I was ready to order orange m240i. I went with blue on the M2, but I'm not to crazy about it. Would love it in red or orange.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Moris3.00
      02-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #2
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I'd wait until comp is out and decide for yourself. Least possible thing is original m2 appreciates in value by then.
      02-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #3
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

If you're not excited about a LBB M2 then you could ride out your lease on the m235i and then begin the wait until the M2 CS is available for order & the longer wait until you can actually get one.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #4
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

M2 CS won’t come until 2019. M2 Competition will start production this July. It will have a bright orange colour.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
M2 CS won’t come until 2019. M2 Competition will start production this July. It will have a bright orange colour.
Sunset orange I think, same as you can get on the 240i, but when can you get an M2 Competition (for the OP)? Starts production July but how long before your dealer can actually get you the car considering there may already be a waiting list for the car? Will you be getting one of the first delivered? Or will your car get to you in a year later in July 2020?

If you're going to own the car find a way to get what you want, if you're a serial leaser just get whatever and move on with your life because you will just get a different car after that lease is up again and again.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #6
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

I believe that (in Canada anyway) for $5k you can order a custom color. It has to be approved by Germany. Maybe if the color is super important to you - you could ask your dealer. Either way your will not get the car till mid summer.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
och
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
Thanks for the input. I'll just keep my order as is I guess.

What is the usual wait time for these cars? When I ordered my m235i, I believe I waited for roughly 3 month.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll just keep my order as is I guess.

What is the usual wait time for these cars? When I ordered my m235i, I believe I waited for roughly 3 month.
Have you receive a production order # or a wk build date?
      02-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
och
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Nah, thats not going to be for a while, I only ordered the car yesterday. I know with my m235 it took over 3 month, placed order in the end of Feb 2015 and got the car in the beginning of June.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Nah, thats not going to be for a while, I only ordered the car yesterday. I know with my m235 it took over 3 month, placed order in the end of Feb 2015 and got the car in the beginning of June.
It will depend on when your car gets pulled into production. Once it starts production, it'll be anywhere from 6-8 weeks to when you take delivery.
      02-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
I believe that (in Canada anyway) for $5k you can order a custom color. It has to be approved by Germany. Maybe if the color is super important to you - you could ask your dealer. Either way your will not get the car till mid summer.
Not on the M2. BMW doesn't have individual color capability the leipzig production plant. They will do a custom color but its going to be absurdly expensive because the car is going to have to be moved to another location to be painted.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      02-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
corcovado
Rep
Drives: E38 750iL

I don't want to be rude, but who else can decide whether you'll *regret* doing something besides you? All of these threads that go on and on about either "I'm keeping my original M2 and I'm happy about it!" or "Guys should I wait?" really confuse me. Shouldn't you have your own personal standards for these sorts of things?

If you just want the summary of the expected changes without earning them through the hard work of reading 100+ forum pages (lol), the new colors will not be bright, it will be a subdued orange and a "classic" silver. There will be slight exterior changes such as new grill and mirrors. There will be slight interior changes such as the addition of new stitching color option (orange), new leather option (perforated or non-perforated), and possibly sport seats from the M3/M4. There will be a couple of extra new options such as PDC in the front. There will be new wheel options. The largest change is that the car is going to have a detuned S55 instead of N55. And a slightly different badge.

If you want the opinion of others, here is is mine - if yours is on order, it depends on how long you can wait. Production doesn't start until July so depending on where you get in line, you might have to wait until the end of the year or even until next year. Oh, and it's probably going to be a couple of extra grand.
Appreciate 3
bobert858.50
krizze928.00
      02-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
Not on the M2. BMW doesn't have individual color capability the leipzig production plant. They will do a custom color but its going to be absurdly expensive because the car is going to have to be moved to another location to be painted.
Are you sure if this? Leipzig produced more cars than the m2 right. Those cars have others colors. My SA told me another customer ordered another Color it cost $5k CN plus extra for the paint....can't remember the color....silver i think. He may have made this up but don't see why he would.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

if you're asking you'll probably regret it. lol.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      02-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Are you sure if this? Leipzig produced more cars than the m2 right. Those cars have others colors. My SA told me another customer ordered another Color it cost $5k CN plus extra for the paint....can't remember the color....silver i think. He may have made this up but don't see why he would.
The paint shop at the plant is very small and cannot accommodate special colors because it would require a complete shutdown of the production line to make the change to something nonstandard. In a plant running at full capacity, this would never happen. It may be a possibility when the remodeling of the plant, which includes an expansion of the paint shop, is complete. Your SA is misinformed.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50
      02-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
The paint shop at the plant is very small and cannot accommodate special colors because it would require a complete shutdown of the production line to make the change to something nonstandard. In a plant running at full capacity, this would never happen. It may be a possibility when the remodeling of the plant, which includes an expansion of the paint shop, is complete. Your SA is misinformed.
Spar2k. Just trying to understand and not trying to be a smart arse.
My understanding Leipzig make 10 different BMW vehicles. I have been and worked on assembly lines and they all used the one line and the one paint shop for all the vehicles made. I assume BMW use the same system.
When you watch you car being made and the M2's before and after yours they do not get made all at once they seem to be made hours apart and Leipzig make approximately 20 M2's a day. My point being that they are going through the same paint area that the X1 goes through right?
The robots respond to the vehicle build # and therefore pickup the gun/color for that Build. Clearly the spray area is equipped to spray at least 10 different colors (likely way more). So all we are talking about is a change to the basic program for that vehicle. That is why they would charge you the special fee.
Maybe you know something I don't, but form my limited knowledge of these things does not seem that complicated for the robot to pick up an x-1 color instead of an M2 color.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
If the previous CS cars are any indication then the M2 CS will be absurdly expensive and you should feel very comfortable that you will not regret your decision. Yes you will want the CS when it comes out. But you will likely either not be able to or want to pay the huge premium plus the dealer markup over sticker. You'll be busy enjoying your M2. Go for the M2 now and enjoy.
Appreciate 2
qnet681.50
      02-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #18
och
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
With the color I can always do a custom wrap, and change it up once a while once I get bored of the color. I'll just keep my order as is.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #19
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Certainly in theory BMW should be able to offer an "individual"-like option where they would paint M2s in any of the other colours that Leipzig is set up for on other models but they don't even allow that option. They only offer the 4 colour palette.

I would guess there are 3 probable reasons why they don't offer it:
1. They'd rather limit the options to try to push potential customers up market to M3/M4.
2. Potential issues with coordinating colours, BMW make changes to the other models produced on a different schedule to the M2 so a colour that might be available on one model today might not be produced in 2 months time.
3. They predict insufficient volume to justify introducing more complexity into the order and production processes.

There is almost certainly not going to be enough volume to justify adding proper "Individual" colour options, it would only make sense if they were going to produce enough other vehicles at Leipzig that would also benefit from the feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
With the color I can always do a custom wrap, and change it up once a while once I get bored of the color. I'll just keep my order as is.
I think this is solid thinking. And a good PPF not only lets you play around with color options to keep things fun, but you get that added protection against all the bad stuff that happens to paint jobs. Given the cost of these cars, the modest depreciation curve, and that they're more to us than just point A to point B people haulers, I think the protective wrap is good thinking given that you like the car you've ordered but just wish you had more color choices. I'd love to see what the M2 would look like wrapped with something like that Frozen Red that BMW offers on the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

There is no confirmed CS coming. The upcoming Competition will not be absurdly expensive(debuts in April, arriving this Summer). The Competition will be the M2 as it sits now, but with a detuned S55 from the M3/M4. New additions(brakes, wheels, seats, etc.) will all be options, it will up to customer how much he wants to spend.

The car(N55 M2) you are ordering will end production in July. If you are leasing I wouldn’t worry about that. If you are purchasing, then I personally would have reservations about future resale value.

Also your concern in lack of color choices(no orange). There will be additional color choices with the Competition, including Sunset Orange.

Last edited by M3_WC; 02-17-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #22
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Any advice is much appreciated.
1. You ask to compare a car that we know with a car that's not even officially announced yet. Complicated to make sound statements.

True that we all got a couple of assumptions of what the M2 Competition could be like, but as long as BMW M doesn't come out of the woods or some relevant document (such as for example an 'M2 Competition Technical Training') doesn't leak, we all remain grounded in the 'speculation playground'.

There are enough reviews and testimonials around about the current M2. The M2 Competition is supposed to be an improved iteration of what's already a wicked car. I trust that BMW M will succeed with this project, but remain curious if the M2 Competition will be as well-balanced power-wise as the current M2 (IMHO the current M2 has just as many hp as required for properly putting the power down) and how the exhaust is gonna sound IRL. Letting the M2 MPE 'sing its song' in the high-rev range inside a narrow mountain tunnel, is something no-one can properly describe without having experienced it IRL.

2. "Regret" is a personal emotion. Exactly the same situation can be experienced differently by different persons. Inevitably you'll get all sorts of answers. Hence, again, that complicates making sound statements for your situation.

Don't get possessed now or in the future by the "what if I had made a different choice ?" question. Consider, decide, look ahead and move on. Life's too short.

3. You would love to get a red or orange M2.

If that's your preference and you dislike a wrap: man the boat and get in line for an M2 Competition in Sunset Orange (paint code C1X) with orange contrast stitching (code LCNZ (plain leather) or code MDOE (perforated leather)).

Maybe your dealer can allow you this Spring to spec an M2 Competition "HEA" car (HEA = Handler-Erst-Ausstattung = dealer demo car = BMW code 999) with the purpose of selling it to you shortly after launch (that's the way how a lot got their M2 shortly after the April 16, 2016 launch; my April 2016 M2 is no HEA car).

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to taking my car back to my favorite playground this Spring.