BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 to M2C

10-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #133
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

IMO, overall front bumper design of M2C is much worse than OGM2. The grill, fangs, vents and general shape. It's a shame because I'd love to have the added front stiffness, steering controls and extra power.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #134
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
There are fans of both designs. I much prefer the M2C new design over OG M2 (except for the fugly muffler). M2C has a more agressive front end and the grills on OG M2 already look dated IMO. Yes, you read it right, I prefer the more angular, connected (aka Kia) grills.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8732.50
      10-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #135
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I don't mind the three front slats, though I'd wish they were functional because somewhere along the way someone is going to ask you what they do and it would grate on me to say "they're just for looks, they don't do anything". But I especially like them when you get the car in white and put the three M stripes on - that looks really good. I also don't have an issue with the fangs, and I don't even care about the parking sensor circles - they don't look distracting to me at all, though I know they bother others.

It's that damned grill though. I just don't get it. Why, BMW, why did you have to take what was such a beautiful car in the front and do that to the grill? It basically forces you to buy the car in black, so the grill blends in and sort of becomes invisible. I know this horse has been beaten to oblivion, but I expected the passage of months would allow the grill to grow on me. It hasn't - it's still awful. I don't care if they shove a Rolls Royce jet engine under the hood and it goes 0-100 so fast it warps time...it just looks wrong. YMMV, but I want to enjoy my car even when it's not moving. The irony is, I agree that the new design makes the original M2 design look "dated", in the same way that Porsche's fried-egg headlight design instantly made the round 993 headlights look "dated" back in 1997. But we all know how that lousy idea turned out. Porsche came to realize that everyone liked the "dated" look better. And with the huge muffler can, BMW actually found a way to take a successful design and go backwards at both ends of the car.
Appreciate 5
      10-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #136
KayCM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I am just going to leave this here.

Evolve shows dyno numbers from Stock N55 to Stock M2C, stage 1 with intercoolers n55, and m3/4 s55

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #137
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCM2 View Post
I am just going to leave this here.

Evolve shows dyno numbers from Stock N55 to Stock M2C, stage 1 with intercoolers n55, and m3/4 s55

What's interesting with these results is that they are consistent with factory rating spot on, contrary to the prevailing wisdom that F80/82 is hugely underrated and F87 not so much.
      10-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #138
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Yep, thanks I was looking for this image to post. If you think a N55 M2 is nearly as fast as a S55 M2 you're in denial. That's stock for stock. Add a tune to both cars and the gap is hilarious.
Comments of M2C owners/fans when their car is getting spanked by a Camaro;

Quote:
That's if track performance is your only criteria for buying a car like this.
Quote:
Unless you live your life "a quarter mile at a time" a Camero tracking faster lap times than a M2C is not really news..
Quote:
My car choices aren't just about 0-60 times or how fast it goes around the ring. It's the whole experience.
Quote:
Most M2c owners wont be using their car the same way 1le owners will.
Quote:
I am not a track rat and I want a car that I actually want to be seen in and enjoy driving.
Interesting how the goal posts of being fastest move depending on where your car places in comparison.
Appreciate 1
akkando5867.50
      10-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #139
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Comments of M2C owners/fans when their car is getting spanked by a Camaro;

Interesting how the goal posts of being fastest move depending on where your car places in comparison.
He's comparing N55 to S55, which I assume you are aware of the difference. Not only the stock vs stock power difference but also the difference in terms of tuning potential. So not really sure what's your point replying to his post with bunch of comments and excuses from Camaro thread. Yes, it's funny to see some of these comments because Camaro SS 1LE, Mustang GT350, or even the new Mustang 5.0 with Performance Pack perform better than any M car while they cost significantly less at least in the US (their track performance either head to head with M4 GTS or even better at some tracks).

However, since you brought up these excuses, I recommend you putting the same effort on OG M2 forum as well. Whenever there is a mention of the power difference between the OG M2 or M2C, you can easily see comments like "OG M2 has more than enough power already", "I don't track anyway, it's already perfect for street driving and no need for more power", "You can't even use all that power on the street" etc. On the other hand, when there is a track related discussion, these same OG M2 owners, while stating they don't track their cars in other threads, also don't hesitate to go into heated arguments about lap times and brag about how capable the OG M2 (of course only when it matches or beats the lap time of another car. If the results are not in favor of OG M2, of course they don't care because they don't track and all they care is how amazing it sounds and handles when they are commuting to work).

That being said, the point you are trying to make goes both ways. People who never been to a race track in their lives or people who are scared to turn off their traction control brag about lap times or argue how great their cars are on track. This is not news on this forum and as I said, you can see this in any subforum regardless of the car model (OG M2, M2C, M3, M4 doesn't matter).
Appreciate 10
Robin_NL8732.50
Craig335d152.50
Defiant2282.50
fullstack337.50
Dblaz43.50
BlkSVT388.50
pz6193278.50
O Haiii191.50
      10-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #140
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
He's comparing N55 to S55, which I assume you are aware of the difference. Not only the stock vs stock power difference but also the difference in terms of tuning potential. So not really sure what's your point replying to his post with bunch of comments and excuses from Camaro thread. Yes, it's funny to see some of these comments because Camaro SS 1LE, Mustang GT350, or even the new Mustang 5.0 with Performance Pack perform better than any M car while they cost significantly less at least in the US (their track performance either head to head with M4 GTS or even better at some tracks).

However, since you brought up these excuses, I recommend you putting the same effort on OG M2 forum as well. Whenever there is a mention of the power difference between the OG M2 or M2C, you can easily see comments like "OG M2 has more than enough power already", "I don't track anyway, it's already perfect for street driving and no need for more power", "You can't even use all that power on the street" etc. On the other hand, when there is a track related discussion, these same OG M2 owners, while stating they don't track their cars in other threads, also don't hesitate to go into heated arguments about lap times and brag about how capable the OG M2 (of course only when it matches or beats the lap time of another car. If the results are not in favor of OG M2, of course they don't care because they don't track and all they care is how amazing it sounds and handles when they are commuting to work).

That being said, the point you are trying to make goes both ways. People who never been to a race track in their lives or people who are scared to turn off their traction control brag about lap times or argue how great their cars are on track. This is not news on this forum and as I said, you can see this in any subforum regardless of the car model (OG M2, M2C, M3, M4 doesn't matter).
Mate, you nailed it
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 02:54 AM   #141
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post

So true

I’m new here but I have noticed it’s usually from the same handful of high activity OG and M2c owners. Im here up to share enthusiasm but found mostly division and putdowns. Lots is my d**k is bigger than yours kind is thing.
Appreciate 2
TripleU170.00
      10-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #142
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
So true

I’m new here but I have noticed it’s usually from the same handful of high activity OG and M2c owners. Im here up to share enthusiasm but found mostly division and putdowns. Lots is my d**k is bigger than yours kind is thing.
Sometimes it seems like there is more opinion than fact in peoples post. The point of this thread was to get facts from members who use to own an M2 and now own an M2c.

I am not one of them. I still own an M2. Just trying to see the difference as a daily driver how much of an improvement the M2C is.
Appreciate 2
D22M21373.50
Robin_NL8732.50
      10-27-2018, 04:40 AM   #143
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

OG M2 is a blast, irl normal traffic there is off course not much difference.

But the thrust when WOT is imho the biggest difference and OG M2 is no slouch at all either.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
Romo1764.50
DanG10765.00
      10-27-2018, 04:44 AM   #144
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Last march at the Nordschleife. What a car, yes that's me smiling

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 5
Romo1764.50
heavyD^23688.50
Davil6570.50
Karmic Man1996.00
M-Pilot4861.50
      10-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #145
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Great pics Robin, the Mrs has fun to
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8732.50
      10-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #146
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
LBB is a pretty nice color as it changes with light. It looks blue in the first pic and teal in the next.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 09:52 PM   #147
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Couldn’t do that around here without a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 01:35 AM   #148
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Couldn’t do that around here without a helmet.
On other trackdays(Assen /Zandvoort/Spa etc) overhere helmets are mandatory. @ Nordschleife on Touristenfahrten it's not.

Quote:
During these public sessions, the track officially is a one-way public toll-road with no speed limit. Your car must be 100% road-legal (no racecars allowed), noise-limited of 95dB and insured. The circuit is seen as a public road, and the normal German road traffic law applies.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #149
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
On other trackdays(Assen /Zandvoort/Spa etc) overhere helmets are mandatory. @ Nordschleife on Touristenfahrten it's not.

Cheers
Robin
Nice. I wish the US had a track like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #150
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Just got my M2c.

Breaking in under 4000 rpm feels the same car with touchy brakes.

The biggest improvements are.
New improved idrive.
I can see the guages!
Front parking sensors!
Appreciate the fake sticking
Cool stripe seat belts.
Probably top end of engine whereas I recall the OG ran out of breath.

I love the f87. The real deal successor from the E46 imho.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8732.50
Dblaz43.50
      11-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #151
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Yea I wish I had front sensors on my OG

But im glad i have this car tho!

I was pulling out slowly out of my gym last night, it was dark and foggy, and as im creeping out i hear this loud farting noise for a second, i was wtf, look over it was this guy in a longer looking bmw, couldve been 5 series, i checked for the m4 fender gills, but they werent there

But it sounded pretty awful , im sure the guy did it to grab my attention but it didnt have the intended envy effect i think he was going for
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #152
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It's subjective. I've seen them side by side in person and the M2C makes the OG bumper look dated, in my opinion, which many people share and many people do not.
Lol. The bumper is almost identical except the Competition has those random notches cut out of it. How does that make the OG bumper look dated? I honestly want to know. All other things being mostly the same (let's ignore the grill for the sake of this point), how do those notches make the Competition bumper look better?

it's just newer, as in newer model year. had the dates on the designs been reversed people would say the OG bumper makes the C look dated.
Appreciate 1
kfscoll208.50
      11-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #153
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Lol. The bumper is almost identical except the Competition has those random notches cut out of it. How does that make the OG bumper look dated? I honestly want to know. All other things being mostly the same (let's ignore the grill for the sake of this point), how do those notches make the Competition bumper look better?

Bumper actually looks totally different. The only thing you can call similar and but not identical is fangs are still present.

For a start the fangs are narrower and are slanted further horizontally and the bumper centre opening (mouth) is of a different shape and is wider. The bottom of the mouth also has three prominent slats which are not presented in the OG.
I promise you if I bought a lbb one and swapped the badge not a single person who sees my car would know I switched from a 2017 to a 2019. Lol totally different.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #154
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
it's just newer, as in newer model year. had the dates on the designs been reversed people would say the OG bumper makes the C look dated.
I dont really think the bumper can make it look dated

Robably the headlights and grill have most affect on 'dating' the car
Appreciate 0