BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Supercharging the N55

08-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Supercharging the N55

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
*this is also theoretical; there is no need for hate*

Could one convert the aspiration of the M2's motor from Turbocharged, to Supercharged? If all the Turbocharging components were removed, a Supercharger kit was fabricated, and the ECU re-tuned.

I'm curious if possible, what sort of sound it would make, and power could be made.

Please don't comment unless you can contribute to the the discussion.
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
[QUOTE=mWHO;22136796

I'm curious if possible, what sort of sound it would make, [/QUOTE]

That supercharging whine that everyone seems to love......I can't stand it. It sounds like the engine is broken. Give me the whoosh/hiss any day from a turbo.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
That supercharging whine that everyone seems to love......I can't stand it. It sounds like the engine is broken. Give me the whoosh/hiss any day from a turbo.
Yea its like when your E92 power steering line is leaking and the levels get dangerously low
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I guess the only question I can think of is...why? What are you hoping to achieve? Higher power than a bigger turbo on an N55?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I guess the only question I can think of is...why? What are you hoping to achieve? Higher power than a bigger turbo on an N55?
Linear power, throttle response, exhaust note, individuality
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52274.50
      08-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
NOLAGUY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I'm not sure if there is enough room for a supercharger. There isn't a nice saddle for it to sit in like for a V6 or V8. It would have to sit off to the side.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
Grayson1098
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Supercharger will take power to make power, It will be heavier and would probably require a hood modification. With VGT/DVT turbo's torque is there from a little above 1K rpms with lag almost being non-existant.

A turbo is easier to change/tune out inefficiencies as new modifications are installed.

I had a compound turbo set up with a supercharger on my CTD. Different, expensive and just a lot of headache....but it looked majestic.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2017, 01:51 AM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Yea its like when your E92 power steering line is leaking and the levels get dangerously low
I'll take a stroker s65 over a supercharged one any day of the week despite of huge power deficit.

To the topic:

Making 15+ psi (which is stock M2 boost) to a 3.0L requires a very large supercharger and very small pulley (so pulley RPM could be high for any given engine rpm). That will consume a tremendous amount of power at crank and most likely will be a packaging issue because L6 engine is V12 long.

We take Audi 3.0T V6 as a sample, it comes from factory 11psi making 333hp at crank, a tune gets you 380@15psi without changing pulley. You'll get 430@19psi at crank with a pulley kit.

With turbocharged N55, you can do 450whp (520 crank hp) on 18-19psi on pump gas from PS2, a hybrid turbo, which is a compromised unit (99% of hybrid turbo is not optimal), downstream of a very restrictive factory turbo manifold designed to fast spool a 300hp small turbo. A proper Borg Warner EFR unit (including turbofold) should make 450whp easily while spooling way faster.

What I'm getting at is you'll get a whole lot more efficiency(520 vs 430) with turbocharger running the same boost. No mention the 430hp is from a V6 that's engineered to work with supercharger from factory. Try do N55 that you'll be getting even less.

The tradeoff doing turbocharger is the responsiveness of power, but middle range and up top power are more than making up for that. There is a lot of way to address turbo responsiveness issue, most recently is the electrical blower that maintain boost when turbo is off, a technology that is going to be found on incoming 3.0T of Merc.

One more issue from supercharger is reliability. This thing really looks like a huge "piggyback" bolted on to engine block at front and is consuming so much power via belt of rubber. Belt itself eats up a great % of power it conveys. And the more power it handles, the quicker it wears out and put the entire system in risk. There are so many reasons supercharger is being phased out, no doubt.
mWHO118.50
      08-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Modern superchargers use about half a horsepower while cruising and make way more than they lose. My Tundra is supercharged and around 550hp. If that blower takes power away from me, I would never know it as I am pinned into my seat with the wheels burning off.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I'll take a stroker s65 over a supercharged one any day of the week despite of huge power deficit.

To the topic:

Making 15+ psi (which is stock M2 boost) to a 3.0L requires a very large supercharger and very small pulley (so pulley RPM could be high for any given engine rpm). That will consume a tremendous amount of power at crank and most likely will be a packaging issue because L6 engine is V12 long.

We take Audi 3.0T V6 as a sample, it comes from factory 11psi making 333hp at crank, a tune gets you 380@15psi without changing pulley. You'll get 430@19psi at crank with a pulley kit.

With turbocharged N55, you can do 450whp (520 crank hp) on 18-19psi on pump gas from PS2, a hybrid turbo, which is a compromised unit (99% of hybrid turbo is not optimal), downstream of a very restrictive factory turbo manifold designed to fast spool a 300hp small turbo. A proper Borg Warner EFR unit (including turbofold) should make 450whp easily while spooling way faster.

What I'm getting at is you'll get a whole lot more efficiency(520 vs 430) with turbocharger running the same boost. No mention the 430hp is from a V6 that's engineered to work with supercharger from factory. Try do N55 that you'll be getting even less.

The tradeoff doing turbocharger is the responsiveness of power, but middle range and up top power are more than making up for that. There is a lot of way to address turbo responsiveness issue, most recently is the electrical blower that maintain boost when turbo is off, a technology that is going to be found on incoming 3.0T of Merc.

One more issue from supercharger is reliability. This thing really looks like a huge "piggyback" bolted on to engine block at front and is consuming so much power via belt of rubber. Belt itself eats up a great % of power it conveys. And the more power it handles, the quicker it wears out and put the entire system in risk. There are so many reasons supercharger is being phased out, no doubt.
Great post

What lead me to asking this question is that I have a built 400whp STI, and the lag (which was supposed to be moderate) from the GTX3076r is ridiculous. You have no power and then wham your head smacks the back of the seat. It's still fun, but not in a traditional 'BMW driving' sense. So the thought of being stuck with the M2 hp levels from the factory, and not being able to reproduce their smoothness at higher hp numbers frightened me.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

To the topic:

God dont bring up the belts on blowers My 2004 kenne bell cobra snacked them on a regular. If you didn't replace them you would get belt slip and boost loss.