BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Ordering M2 in Canada and importing to US

01-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Ordering M2 in Canada and importing to US

Currently resides in Canada and might be moving to the Bay Area later this year. Does it make sense to order the M2 in Canada and then importing it down states side? It's like a $10k difference given the currency these days. 61k CAD = 42k USD.

How much hassle would it be? Is it mandatory to change the gauge to MPH? I love the clean look of only KPH on the speedometer.

Thanks!

Last edited by BiscottiGelato; 01-14-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Since you are ordering, consider the dual speedo. You wanted clean look but less headache as mandatory to have mph in US.
This should be Special Order, but they might refuse as worried about exports.
Unlike US speedos are dual.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
jc9elfer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BSM M2, 08 Porsche 911

Check for taxes when you go to import to the U.S.
I am American living in Canada, i had to pay taxes on my 328i to import it... you pay current book value times h.s.t. The U.S. may require the same thing.
Also, at the time, BMW did not / would not transfer my warranty to Canada. Fortunately i didn't need it, but i lost my Free oil changes.
Other than that, good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

A friend of mine bought 2 fully loaded Jeeps in Canada and exported them to Germany. He said that he made a huge profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
txx3ddq442
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2015 X5

Importation from Canada

Shouldn't be a major problem. Years ago, I flew from Louisiana to Buffalo, drove to Toronto, picked up a Nissan Pathfinder and drove it home.

There was some legwork ahead of time but since you live in Canada, you won't have to deal with funding, etc. like I did.

You'll have to pay import duties when you bring it into the States, but you'll get a refund of the Canadian taxes you paid (may be different if you are a citizen of Canada). When you register it, you'll have to pay whatever state fees you have.

You'll also need to get an affidavit that it meets all US safety and emission standards (this may not apply since it's BMW NA - Nissan was Nissan US and Nissan CA). I think you need this at US Customs to import it.

Never had to switch the speedo or tachometer but I'd recommend getting the dual if you can. Having 100K km and trying to explain that it's like 62K miles to a buyer can be a challenge. Also note that it'll make it a bit more difficult to price for resale since the standard equipment, options, etc. may be a bit different. For me, I had a Pathfinder that couldn't be bought in here and it probably hurt the resale in the end.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Inquire about a leased car they allow you at some point to drive while doing business in the USA. Then you return to Canada when the lease is up to return the car. Or you will get a bank loan in the US, to pay off BMW Financial.

Considering the suckage of your dollar if I were you I'd wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Registering a Used Car in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
Currently resides in Canada and might be moving to the Bay Area later this year. Does it make sense to order the M2 in Canada and then importing it down states side? It's like a $10k difference given the currency these days. 61k CAD = 42k USD.

How much hassle would it be? Is it mandatory to change the gauge to MPH? I love the clean look of only KPH on the speedometer.

Thanks!
My e36 M3 cost a bundle to register in California when I moved from Florida in 1996. Check registration fees for out of state cars on the dmv.ca.gov web site. You are looking for the term nonresident vehicle and there is a calculator for an estimate.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Inquire about a leased car they allow you at some point to drive while doing business in the USA. Then you return to Canada when the lease is up to return the car. Or you will get a bank loan in the US, to pay off BMW Financial.

Considering the suckage of your dollar if I were you I'd wait.
It's more like the CAD suckage that I'm considering to buy now instead of later when even the price on the Canada side goes up.
      01-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato

Thanks!
My e36 M3 cost a bundle to register in California when I moved from Florida in 1996. Check registration fees for out of state cars on the dmv.ca.gov web site. You are looking for the term nonresident vehicle and there is a calculator for an estimate.
I guess you had to pay full state tax on the vehicle?
      01-15-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Sometimes they should leave people alone. Other times bad people should be given a situation that is unfavorable. Wish could vote in the US
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
I guess you had to pay full state tax on the vehicle?
Not sales tax, but a very high registration fee for cars coming into California.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0