BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2NH M Sport Brakes & M Performance Parts Brakes: bigger and ± 16 kg / 35 lbs extra

01-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #331
tonym2c
Thailand
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
If your car was built before March 2019 it can be locked and unlocked at will through the OBDII port. If it was built before July 2020 it can be bench unlocked. The only ones that need a new (old) ECU are cars built after July 2020.

There could be something else wrong with your car having nothing to do with the tune.
my car was built in 2018. what is software for unlocking? ista+?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:28 AM   #332
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

1F2108 code is when the DME appears not to match the engine variant or vice versa. I think some f##k up has occured by your tuner!

If your tuner is using ecutek or any other mapping software via the OBD port then your DME is not locked for tuning of course, regardless of age.

Ecutek is great software by the way. Ista+ is BMW workshop diagnostic PC software. This gives much better diagnostic information than carly etc. I'm suprised yout tuner does not have this already, or at least some other quality diagnostic equipment?

Dont worry about the interior light fault, that is irrelevant.

I had a similar DME software version fault before when mapping failed with BM3, but mine didn't give a drive train malfunction, it was just logged in the DME. I had to reflash stock and back to my stage 2 then it cleared.

You might want to re-post this in the DME / tuning section and maybe reach out to forum member "Enabled" on here, he really knows his stuff.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=722

Last edited by doughboy; 01-05-2022 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #333
tonym2c
Thailand
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
1F2108 code is when the DME appears not to match the engine variant or vice versa. I think some f##k up has occured by your tuner!

If your tuner is using ecutek or any other mapping software via the OBD port then your DME is not locked for tuning of course, regardless of age.

Ecutek is great software by the way. Ista+ is BMW workshop diagnostic PC software. This gives much better diagnostic information than carly etc. I'm suprised yout tuner does not have this already, or at least some other quality diagnostic equipment?

Dont worry about the interior light fault, that is irrelevant.

I had a similar DME software version fault before when mapping failed with BM3, but mine didn't give a drive train malfunction, it was just logged in the DME. I had to reflash stock and back to my stage 2 then it cleared.

You might want to re-post this in the DME / tuning section and maybe reach out to forum member "Enabled" on here, he really knows his stuff.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=722
Thank you for explaining.
After i research i am wonder he don’t use other diagnostic software and also ista+. i think he did something wrong to my car. i feel very bad to my car that i trusted wrong tuner.

Yes, i will repost my issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 01:55 AM   #334
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Just blowing some life back into this old thread because a lot of info has been given here except one important one:

What is the height difference between the M-sport caliper and the M-Performance caliper, measured from the rotor, does anyone know this?

This is very important to know regarding wheel spoke clearance when changing from M-sport brake system to M-Performance brake system with aftermarket rims with especially high concavity.

EX: e92 335d: 350hp@4400rpm and 698NM/521 ft lb@2760 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:47 AM   #335
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
Just blowing some life back into this old thread because a lot of info has been given here except one important one:

What is the height difference between the M-sport caliper and the M-Performance caliper, measured from the rotor, does anyone know this?

This is very important to know regarding wheel spoke clearance when changing from M-sport brake system to M-Performance brake system with aftermarket rims with especially high concavity.
M Sport and M Performance calipers are exactly the same, the only difference is the color (silver vs red).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 07:05 AM   #336
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post

Not sure exactly what you mean by M-sport vs M-performance.

Are you asking about spoke clearance difference between the standard 4-pot blue brakes and the 2NH 6-pot anthracite/red/blue/gold brakes?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #337
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Yes!

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:08 AM   #338
danvansan81
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2C ; MR2 MKII Turbo ; E36

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this was already covered.
But beside weight, and size difference (calipers, pads,rotors,piston amount) between the blue M2 Brake vs the silver sportbrakes I often read that there is no benefit in breaking power even tho the silver brake should have 30% more capacity to take on heat. One argument that is always read and tossed around is ABS slip and tire grip which are the leading forces you run into at the exact moment on blue and silver brakes. Where I am very unsure if that's true at all, at least on the big brakes you reach that point much earlier due to the higher friction on the 1st stage so to say - the disc vs the pad.
The big heat sink (in size) leads to the effect that it takes longer to cool down. (A/V relation).
Comparing this to water-intercoolers, I know that this can lead to misconceptions of measured real world data where you don't have a constant addition of heat transfer (boost) vs cool down periods. On water-intercoolers, it's proven that massive heat sinks outperform smaller cores in most scenarios, giving the extra reserve that always supplies with cooler charge air.
Having at least direct brake ducts to the front wheelarches might compensate the effect of bigger heatsinks a bit.
Anyway, what's your opinion, and were there topics covering this?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 04:52 PM   #339
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Just to be back to my earlier question which may not have been so clear and so I am now illustrating with two pictures:

Does anyone here know the distance/height of size A and size B or the difference between size A and B measured from the centre line of these two different calipers?

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 01:39 AM   #340
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Not sure of the dimensions, but pretty much the large caliper will allow 19" wheel miminum and the blue one 18".
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 04:48 AM   #341
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

I am actually more concerned with whether you have less clearance with the wheel spokes at a given spoke concavity with the 6-pot calipers compared to the 4-pot caliper.

Very important to know but i can't find anything about this on the net.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 09:43 AM   #342
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I recall a few years ago a thread reporting some drama about CCB's on the M4 (not properly fitting, getting damaged: replacing those rotors hurts your wallet if not replaced under warranty).
This is not entirly accurate.
The latest CCB have friction layer made out of Silicon Carbide. SiC does not oxidizes at high temperature like Carbon.

Porsche initially came with PCCBS then switched to PCCBH. The CCBS type had friction layer with a lot of carbon which was not durable for trackdays. Perhaps this is when the idea of replacing PCCB with grey iron rotors developed.

The third type is CCM and is used by Ferrari and McLaren. This carbon ceramic brakes do not have friction layer and oxidizes even faster then CCBS on trackdays.

Luckily the friction layer can be restored,
no need to buy new, and the friction layer is the latest technology. It will last 3 times or more than grey iron rotors and the cost is less than half of new.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 12:17 PM   #343
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Interesting videos (I guess by forum member FaRKle!):

Comparison:

M2C 2NH brake pads and brake rotors change: