BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Drunk yells at van to move his car and the van backs into my M2

03-17-2018, 02:00 AM   #1
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Drunk yells at van to move his car and the van backs into my M2

Y'all want to see a drunk man tell someone in a van to back into my M2 while his wife blocks the van from the front for no reason?

https://ring.com/share/6533765268728268796

Can't feel the scratch at all with finger or nail, 100% smooth. I think it indented and crushed the paint or clear coat but the PPF didn't take any damage, I don't know it's super fucking weird. Didn't get plate of the van. If I have my insurance pay for fixing this is it going to be an accident car?

When outside I take care to park someplace it's very unlikely to have someone bump into me. In this case I assumed the van would have no reason to back up and could easily pull forward as no one could park in front of them... but I didn't account for someone parking in the crosswalk blocking the van and then a drunk person screaming at them to move the van.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

You have a $500 deductible? I can’t see how that would cost more than the deductible. I’d just pay for it out of pocket if u got a deductible
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Find that DRUNK and make him pay! If you witnessed it and you're sure he was DRUNK and then GOT INTO HIS CAR TO DRIVE, you got him! Did you photo his plates????

Take the MF on Judge Judy, She'll make him pay!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      03-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Could have been worse. Having the license plate on may have helped in this case? You could always throw it back on and be done with it?
Appreciate 1
Aronis2271.50
      03-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

It looks like there is more damage than can be covered with a license plate. Can't be sure given the poor image quality, however the grills look to be scratched, and the plastic bumper cover indented slightly, plus obviously scratched. I think a body shop could fix the bumper damage, if present, it will probably pop back out given the right motivation :-)

Cleaning the car up in the effected area would show the real extent of the damage.

It is a shame to have to park a car like this in a lot like that. I wouldn't do it.
      03-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Y'all want to see a drunk man tell someone in a van to back into my M2 while his wife blocks the van from the front for no reason?

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Can't feel the scratch at all with finger or nail, 100% smooth. I think it indented and crushed the paint or clear coat but the PPF didn't take any damage, I don't know it's super fucking weird. Didn't get plate of the van. If I have my insurance pay for fixing this is it going to be an accident car?

When outside I take care to park someplace it's very unlikely to have someone bump into me. In this case I assumed the van would have no reason to back up and could easily pull forward as no one could park in front of them... but I didn't account for someone parking in the crosswalk blocking the van and then a drunk person screaming at them to move the van.
File it under comp.

Nothing goes against you and you only pay the deductible.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
You have a $500 deductible? I can't see how that would cost more than the deductible. I'd just pay for it out of pocket if u got a deductible
It's hard to tell until the bumper is removed. His M2 was shoved back quite a bit so it's hard to say what the extent of the damage is. I bet they will come back to the bar they were drinking at.

I would be hunting for that Van to get the plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep

The damage just appears to be the line on the front bumper, I don't see anything else, no dents, no nothing. My friend's video from above shows the M2 getting pushed back maybe a couple of inches. The van was definitely moving slow.

more pictures here.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

If you have Xpel ppf then I would first apply hot water to it, it can self heal and if the damage is the actual ppf then it may recover. Its doubtful the paint is damaged if you have PPF but its possible. Pretty hard to tell much by the photos. I would first go to a good detailer and than follow their advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Could have been worse. Having the license plate on may have helped in this case? You could always throw it back on and be done with it?
That is the main reason why I have the OEM license plate holder sitting there...
      03-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
That is the main reason why I have the OEM license plate holder sitting there...
Screw that.

They look like crap and cause damage just being against the paint and effect aerodynamics.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      03-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Screw that.

They look like crap and cause damage just being against the paint and effect aerodynamics.
I have never understood this front license plate fetish, but one reads it on almost any car forum for any car that enthusiasts care about. Lots of states require front plates in addition to back plates. Sure, you can leave it off and maybe you will get away with it, and maybe you won't. Or you can buy one of those gadgets that might hold your front plate without having drilled holes in the bumper. If you leave the front plate off and you happen to pass by the wrong state trooper, you can end up getting pulled over and cited for both the absence of the front plate and for the 7 mph you were going over the speed limit, which the guy might not have bothered pulling you over for if that was your only offense. That will look just great on your driving record, and really help to lower your insurance premiums :-)

I have never, once, heard of a collectible or semi-collectible or enthusiast car transaction that did not go through because of a couple of small holes in the front bumper cover. Hell, for not too much more than $1000-$1200 you can get most any front bumper cover replaced and repainted at a decent body shop and start all over. Plus, most of these sorts of cars have really low front bumpers and at some point in their lives someone misjudged one of those concrete things at the front of a parking space and scratched the hell out of it. Sometimes you are just better off replacing the thing when you buy used, if you are that fastidious.

People, these are cars. They develop blemishes as they are used. If the most serious problem with a used or vintage car you are considering buying is that someone installed a front license plate holder and had a plate on it, you are looking at a sweet used vehicle.
      03-18-2018, 03:13 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Does your car feature M-DCT ? The first thing I'd care about in a situation like this (parked car being pushed back with force) would be the transmission mechanics, rather than bumper cosmetics. OK, it can take a 'beating', but it ain't made of kryptonite. Get it checked.
      03-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Does your car feature M-DCT ? The first thing I'd care about in a situation like this (parked car being pushed back with force) would be the transmission mechanics, rather than bumper cosmetics. OK, it can take a 'beating', but it ain't made of kryptonite. Get it checked.
Hmm yeah I did note in the manual that the car must be flat bedded rather than towed if DCT which made me wonder about the car being moved at all while parked. For what it's worth I did have the e brake pulled, and I usually pull it pretty tight. Drove it probably 50 miles today, I didn't notice anything strange. I guess neither clutch is engaged when in park. Not sure if there was a problem if it would be in odd or even gears or both? Sometimes it's reverse when I turn off and sometimes in first.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Think the towing thing with DCT is purely because it'll overheat with no fluids circulating: clutch packs can be partially engaged with the hydraulic servos not being powered. Therefore some drag is adding to the heat buildup. This applies even if its in neutral with the emergency release and theres usually a really low towing distance (get out of the middle of a road and off a motorway style scenario) due to these factors. Id be more worried about the parking pawl being damaged if engaged and it took a shunt (that moved the vehicle).
Appreciate 1
Artemis29396.50
      03-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Screw that.

I have never understood this front license plate fetish, but one reads it on almost any car forum for any car that enthusiasts care about. Lots of states require front plates in addition to back plates. Sure, you can leave it off and maybe you will get away with it, and maybe you won't. Or you can buy one of those gadgets that might hold your front plate without having drilled holes in the bumper. If you leave the front plate off and you happen to pass by the wrong state trooper, you can end up getting pulled over and cited for both the absence of the front plate and for the 7 mph you were going over the speed limit, which the guy might not have bothered pulling you over for if that was your only offense. That will look just great on your driving record, and really help to lower your insurance premiums :-)

I have never, once, heard of a collectible or semi-collectible or enthusiast car transaction that did not go through because of a couple of small holes in the front bumper cover. Hell, for not too much more than $1000-$1200 you can get most any front bumper cover replaced and repainted at a decent body shop and start all over. Plus, most of these sorts of cars have really low front bumpers and at some point in their lives someone misjudged one of those concrete things at the front of a parking space and scratched the hell out of it. Sometimes you are just better off replacing the thing when you buy used, if you are that fastidious.

People, these are cars. They develop blemishes as they are used. If the most serious problem with a used or vintage car you are considering buying is that someone installed a front license plate holder and had a plate on it, you are looking at a sweet used vehicle.
An interesting rant, but you haven't convinced me to install a front plate on my bumper.

I've been pulled over multiple times and never been ticketed for not having a front plate for state ( although it has been suggested I should add one occasionally )

Of course vehicles develop blemishes , many of them UNITENTIONAL, as opposed to license plate holes which are the opposite. Many of us don't like inflicting damage ( no matter how Minor , no matter what legal status ) on our soon someday not to be pristine vehicles.

You lose. Thanks for playing though !
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      03-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Screw that.

An interesting rant, but you haven't convinced me to install a front plate.

YOU LOSE.

Thanks for playing though !
Bam !
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Screw that.

Regardless of the drunk man yelling at him, it's the owner of the van that's responsible for your damage. In fact, the drunk guy was probably trying to keep his own vehicle from being hit , thereby intimidating the driver, however the driver of the van still is responsible for making sure he keeps control of his own vehicle. In addition it looked like he backed up farther than he needed to in order to get out anyway.

If you wish to submit this claim to your insurance company then potentially your uninsured motorist coverage could be used to handle the damages. Clearly such a loss is not an at fault loss and many US insurers have a lower deductible for that type of loss than what many people carry for collision coverage.

It also provides for a rental vehicle while yours has been repaired. Happy to see that the damage was relatively minor. You can cover it up with a front plate ... or get it repaired .
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #19
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
I always have the front plate put on. In fact when I ordered my RS6 ( was dropped off at my office by flat bed since I lived three hours away from the dealer) they had me fax back a signed waver! LOL. It would be nice though, if the front of the car was designed to have a place for the plate that was not just an after thought. Some cars just don't have a good place to add that front plate.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Screw that.

Regardless of the drunk man yelling at him, it's the owner of the van that's responsible for your damage. In fact, the drunk guy was probably trying to keep his own vehicle from being hit , thereby intimidating the driver, however the driver of the van still is responsible for making sure he keeps control of his own vehicle. In addition it looked like he backed up farther than he needed to in order to get out anyway.

If you wish to submit this claim to your insurance company then potentially your uninsured motorist coverage could be used to handle the damages. Clearly such a loss is not an at fault loss and many US insurers have a lower deductible for that type of loss than what many people carry for collision coverage.

It also provides for a rental vehicle while yours has been repaired. Happy to see that the damage was relatively minor. You can cover it up with a front plate ... or get it repaired .
Yep, but...

Screw mounting a front plate !!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #21
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Screw that.

Yes; the look is a little less...but don't care and it's a personal thing if you are bothered by those kind of things. Cause damage...you don't see, because there is the license plate holder on that spot Effect aerodynamics...hmm that is a good one... I think people who fit aftermarket spoiler, front lips, etc will upset the aerodynamics way more then the original license plate holder
      03-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
An interesting rant, but you haven't convinced me to install a front plate on my bumper.

I've been pulled over multiple times and never been ticketed for not having a front plate for state ( although it has been suggested I should add one occasionally )

Of course vehicles develop blemishes , many of them UNITENTIONAL, as opposed to license plate holes which are the opposite. Many of us don't like inflicting damage ( no matter how Minor , no matter what legal status ) on our soon someday not to be pristine vehicles.

It's just a car. And how the cops treat the absence of a front plate varies by jurisdiction. I know people who HAVE been cited for the absence of a front plate.

I do think it is great when other people break the laws in ways that are not harmful to me or other motorists. For example, every time someone passes me at a high rate of speed, I am delighted. I am generally going 5 mph over, myself, which is usually tolerated by the police in my state. This happened 5 or 6 times on my long drive on Thursday back home, on twisty, curvy 2 lane mountain roads. Every time someone passes me going 90 in the 65 mph zone, I heave a sigh of relief, because if there is a cop in front of us a few miles, that guy is my insurance policy. He's going to get pulled over while I sail by, knowing that there probably isn't another cop for the next 25 miles, at least, given the rural areas I'm driving in. I do enjoy spirited passing myself, often at very high speeds, but this occurs over a short enough area that generally I'm not taking too much of a risk getting pulled over, because I'll have slowed down by the time the next cop is in evidence.

So, flash me your blinkers when you drive by, with your front plate missing. If there is an otherwise bored state trooper down the road, he's going to pull you over (in my state) and similarly, thanks again, for clearing the path for me!!