BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What am I Missing? Why used M2s available?

03-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #67
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

This is normal for any car. Also a lot of people bought one without a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #68
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
I was considering picking up a 2018 as a track car, figured it will be cheaper than M3/M4 to track, went to a few local dealers, one had 11 in stock the other 8. Didn’t look like they were moving well, if at all. Was offered pretty good discount ‘to take home now’ but after test driving the 6 speed one, didn’t feel like exchanging $55k for it. Cold tires, but ride was jumpy, damping was pretty good but seemed nervous over cracks and bumps. Weird driving position too, while the seat was uncomfortable and felt crooked relative to my 9-3 grip, weak bolsters, I could not see myself being comfortable running multiple laps in it. Looking at Stingray now.
Not sure if you read this thread on Stingrays:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1177931
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #69
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Not sure if you read this thread on Stingrays:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1177931
Just read it. Seems like excellent reviews from Stingray owners.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #70
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
Just read it. Seems like excellent reviews from Stingray owners.
It's definitely a different seating position. I think the M2 seating position is probably more like my 135is. You're a little more upright and higher up. In the Vette, you're sitting a little more toward the back and the nose is a little longer. I don't think that much longer since the BMWs have an I6 vs a V8. I think I would almost compare it more to driving a Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #71
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I am finding this thread particularly timely for me.
I have been DD'ing my 2012 135 for six years now and I'm getting the itch.
I have not driven one yet (it's only been in the last week or so that any nearby dealership got one on the lot that wasn't presold) but I am going to soon.

There are things I love about the 135 more than the M2 in concept, like simplicity (I don't actually want or need different driving modes).
I've got a Dinan Stage 2, PE, etc... Just short of 80k miles.

If I get an M2, it will become my DD, just as my 135 was.

I can get an N55 M2 built if I move pretty quickly on it (my dealer still has one configurable allocation), or I decide to keep my 135 and add some more mods (DP, FMIC, suspension, etc).
I just don' want to blow $5k on mods to my 135 and be back in the same place this time next year wanting to change over.

So any of you coming from a 135 to the M2, help me out here...
Either talk me down from the ledge or push me off it!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #72
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

hello I had a 135i n54 7 years and change for a m2, it is a much better car to drive, it is basically the same car concept but much improved and in person it looks impressive. You will not regret the change, if you look for more than 500cv, better buy a m4.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #73
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian135 View Post
hello I had a 135i n54 7 years and change for a m2, it is a much better car to drive, it is basically the same car concept but much improved and in person it looks impressive. You will not regret the change, if you look for more than 500cv, better buy a m4.
I have driven an M4 at a track day event. Honestly I was not impressed. Coming from an 135 for so long it just felt way too big.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #74
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

I've had mine exactly a year now and it's only the second car that I haven't gotten a new car itch yet. The interior is a bit more spartan than my previous cars but other than that I love it. The other car that I loved was an S55 AMG. I only got rid of it was because it was 6 years old. I know that I'll only keep the M2 for a couple of more years for wanting something new and different.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4544.00
      03-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #75
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Why am I starting to see used M2s with just a few thousand miles (like 4-6k) becoming available after just a year of ownership? Are people upgrading to something else? Is there something wrong with them? With all the praise heaped on the M2, I'm kind of surprised so many are available used. I am still looking for the right one so it might be an opportunity for me.
My 2017 was purchased by the new owner in April 2017 and he put 3300 miles before trading it in for a Corvette in November. Car sat at the dealer for 3 months and 2 price drops before I purchased. Mine was obviously a toy for the first owner. This is my daily now so I'll be making up for the miles the first owner saved me
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #76
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah my M2 would be a daily driver too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #77
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I see a couple of factors at play beyond the normal number of people who buy the car and realize they prefer something else for whatever reason.

1. A lot of people I have met saw what happened with 1M prices and jumped into an M2 that they didn't really want thinking they'd be able to flip it for a profit or at least drive it for 6 months to 1 year and sell it without losing much money. These are the people you see listing their used M2s for sale at basically new prices and refusing to budge. It's no secret anymore that the M2 has been an enormous sales success, even BMW seems surprised at how many they've sold and this of course means the M2 used prices should fall down just like any other regular production M vehicle.

2. M2 Competition rumors are pushing some people to unload their M2s now before the resale values dip down further in response to the new / upgraded model being available. Some of these people are selling in anticipation of buying an M2 Competition themselves and some are selling now before the price of their own M2 dips down.

3. Test driving an M2 in the first several months was nearly impossible, this is anecdotal and only based on my own personal experience but I had my name on the list at 2 different dealers for the first wave of M2s but decided to pass on it because neither one would let me do a serious test drive. I know I'm too picky to take a chance on a car without feeling it for myself. In hind sight now that I have had driven a couple M2s, I know that I would have loved the car but I can see how some people would have jumped in relativley blindly and later decided they weren't 100% in love with the car for one reason or another (they would have preferred a different car but didn't know since they either did not test drive the M2 or only took it on a short drive around the block).
Appreciate 3
seis-speed2426.00
Poochie9099.00
      03-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #78
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Is that $600 for tire and wheel insurance?! That would be a great deal.
yup BMW of Fairfax. I guess the positive feedback is reassuring !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #79
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I was thinking the other day, if I was in a market with the m140i, that makes the N55 M2 a tougher sell. Maybe that's partially why the UK is littered with new and used M2s?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #80
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Man I wish we had an m hatchback (or even wagon) option in the states
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #81
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
I'm seeing used with low miles at my dealership but not CPO. Why would they not be CPO at a dealership with so few miles?
Adds lots of $ to the price.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #82
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Funny you say that, I was debating between a 16 CPO with 4.5k miles, a 16 non-CPO with 6k miles and an 18 new car from three different dealers in town. I went with the CPO because it was 2k$ less than the non-CPO and it has more warranty left than I would have gotten with the new car. Tried to get the dealer with the non-CPO to beat the price but they balked.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #83
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I guess my summary statement is that if any car changes your life, then there is probably something lacking in it to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #84
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
Man I wish we had an m hatchback (or even wagon) option in the states
Reviving a much hashed-out discussion from previous threads. I'm with you, bro
      04-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #85
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I am finding this thread particularly timely for me.
I have been DD'ing my 2012 135 for six years now and I'm getting the itch.
I have not driven one yet (it's only been in the last week or so that any nearby dealership got one on the lot that wasn't presold) but I am going to soon.

There are things I love about the 135 more than the M2 in concept, like simplicity (I don't actually want or need different driving modes).
I've got a Dinan Stage 2, PE, etc... Just short of 80k miles.

If I get an M2, it will become my DD, just as my 135 was.

I can get an N55 M2 built if I move pretty quickly on it (my dealer still has one configurable allocation), or I decide to keep my 135 and add some more mods (DP, FMIC, suspension, etc).
I just don' want to blow $5k on mods to my 135 and be back in the same place this time next year wanting to change over.

So any of you coming from a 135 to the M2, help me out here...
Either talk me down from the ledge or push me off it!
I went from a 135i that I owned for 5 years to a MY 2017 M2. Don't regret the new car hit at all... it is so much better a car. I had to buy mine sight unseen, but you have many options. Test drive it. If you are only doing stoplight squeals, you may be underwhelmed. But take a few corners or hard curves with acceleration and you will never look back.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #86
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

As production ends and the newer, more expensive, +dealer mark up and wait.....There will be plenty of time for these cars to sell. A few years from now they will be seen as a bargain, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #87
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

Quote:
Okay thanks. Was worried there was some issue people aren't openly discussing. Still love my 135is, but waiting for the right M2.
I'll sell you mine lol white loaded manual, catless intake front mount lowered made a great daily but want to get ready for M2 competition
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #88
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I see a couple of factors at play beyond the normal number of people who buy the car and realize they prefer something else for whatever reason.

1. A lot of people I have met saw what happened with 1M prices and jumped into an M2 that they didn't really want thinking they'd be able to flip it for a profit or at least drive it for 6 months to 1 year and sell it without losing much money. These are the people you see listing their used M2s for sale at basically new prices and refusing to budge. It's no secret anymore that the M2 has been an enormous sales success, even BMW seems surprised at how many they've sold and this of course means the M2 used prices should fall down just like any other regular production M vehicle.

2. M2 Competition rumors are pushing some people to unload their M2s now before the resale values dip down further in response to the new / upgraded model being available. Some of these people are selling in anticipation of buying an M2 Competition themselves and some are selling now before the price of their own M2 dips down.

3. Test driving an M2 in the first several months was nearly impossible, this is anecdotal and only based on my own personal experience but I had my name on the list at 2 different dealers for the first wave of M2s but decided to pass on it because neither one would let me do a serious test drive. I know I'm too picky to take a chance on a car without feeling it for myself. In hind sight now that I have had driven a couple M2s, I know that I would have loved the car but I can see how some people would have jumped in relativley blindly and later decided they weren't 100% in love with the car for one reason or another (they would have preferred a different car but didn't know since they either did not test drive the M2 or only took it on a short drive around the block).

This is best summary I've read since; unbiased and detail. I think a lot of people thought that because the dealer mark-ups was high, due to the limited demand at the time, that vehicle's perceived value was somehow greater, making some to believe that the M2 was the Second Coming or something. They obvious never checked eBay prices on the same day a new iPhone is release, to understand how Supply and Demand works in modern day society.

The M2 is 56K, a comparable 240 is 53K; from a company that cost cut at every chance they can get; from slashing the 4 year free maintenance, to not including a $5 "oh sh!t" handles, then eliminating the blue stitching on the knee pads to save like $2 per vehicle, I don't know how much you guys thought BMW was going to give you for that extra $3,000.

M2 is just a 240i turned up a notch and it's going to depreciate as such. Anyone who has their head in the clouds and thinks that owning an M2 is a winning lotto ticket, will eventually come back down to earth when it's time to off load it.

I love the M2 in its currently form (that's why I'm here) and if I had one, it would be a keeper and I wouldn't care about the deprecation rate but I don't see it becoming anything more than another passing M car, just like the ones that came before it...

Last edited by Poochie; 04-03-2018 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50