BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Help w new vs. used

02-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Joey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG S

Help w new vs. used

Hey guys, I am a long time BMW enthusiast and M3 owner. I have had them all up till the E92, and for the reasons why you guys love your M2 is why I want one instead of a chubby M4.

I have been researching the market and the forum and can use some advice/help.

1. Originally I wanted to Individual order a Dakar/Black but as I now know this is not possible on the M2.

2. The different configurations are very limited, this is good in a sense to where its easy to find one, but not good to where it wont be quite as unique.

3. Instead of Dakar, now I would do Mineral Gray or AW with a 6 MT, no sunroof and the one executive package, no other options. Its about a 57k MSRP car.

4. Now what I dont understand is why is a used 2016 with 10k miles on it 50k? Who would buy that when you can get a new 2018 for 7k more? Am I missing something? It appears inventory is fairly plentiful, and there are WAY more used 2016-2017s out there than I had expected to see. I believe the nationwide AT search showed 90 in the country used.

I am set to drive one tomorrow, but would love to get some thoughts from fellow owners as to go used vs. new and the pricing of used M2s out there.

For example, my local dealer has a blue 2016 CPO for 53k with 6k miles. That price makes no sense when compared to new.

If anyone has bought a used one lately and can share what you paid etc. that would be awesome.

Joey
      02-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
ilvtofu
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

This is the same dilemma I came across when I got my 2018 Mineral Grey. CPO ones were going for pretty much the same as a factory ordered base M2. Getting a fresh car with new warranty and scheduled maintenance cycles was well worth it for me compared to the minimal savings they were offering going used. Not only that but taking a 2 model year less depreciation hit as well regardless of mileage.

Soon after ordering my M2, one of the local dealerships listed a 2016 at $18-20k off what an equivalent brand new 2018 would've been. Sold very quickly but I'm not sure if it had any accidents on it. I think now that 2018's are coming in, the dealerships in my area are realizing this isn't a 1M and they can't sell a used one at new MSRP...
      02-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I don't know that the current used price makes sense, but at the end of the day, the market price for used, is whatever it is. Offer what you think it's worth, if they don't come down in price, what can you do?

Something you should know is the MY19 M2 appears to be coming with a detuned S55 M3/M4 engine instead of the N55. We don't yet know the price of the MY19 M2.

I suspect more used M2s will hit the market when BMW shows the MY19 car which should bring the prices down. You could either wait for this to happen, or use this as a bargaining chip now by telling the seller depreciation is coming soon, make a good deal now while you can!

Or just buy a new one ordered the way you want!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Joey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well thank you both very much. Glad I am not crazy, and yea if there is going to be an engine change, I will likely wait for a 2019. This is a 4th car that I definitely do not need lol.

I hear you on making an offer on a used one, but I cant stand wheeling and dealing, I would rather just have a fair price and good service, it takes the hassle and guesswork out of it. That is likely why I almost always go new. Its a fair percentage off and ya move on down the road.

Any idea when the 2019s will be announced?
      02-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Any idea when the 2019s will be announced?
This July
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Joey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
This July
Well that just throws my whole purchase a curve, but I am very appreciative of you guys telling me this.

Now I am thinking either wait and find a great deal on a lightly used 16 or wait for a 19 base and order it to spec.

I am also hopeful an individual will be available, or at least some different colors perhaps coming in 19. Wouldnt a Dakar M2 be sick!!! Wishful thinking I know, I am an old BMW M head love the older non metallic colors.
      02-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
In my opinion, right now is the worst time to buy an M2, used or new. Buying new is dumb b/c they're about to announce the next M2 in a few months. The current LCI will be outdated in a year and a half. And until that announcement this summer/release of the new car next year, prices on used one's probably won't drop much.

Also you don't want a MY16. The early cars had idrive 4 and a shittier amp and a few recalls for things like brake dust shields and the soda can crunch noise. Either wait a few months for better deals on the 17/18's or order a brand new s55 M2. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 02-02-2018 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Joey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my opinion, right now is the worst time to buy an M2, used or new. Buying new is dumb b/c they're about to announce the next M2 in a few months. The current LCI will be outdated in a year and a half. And until that announcement this summer/release of the new car next year, prices on used one's probably won't drop much.

Also you don't want a MY16. The early cars had idrive 4 and a shittier amp and a few recalls for things like brake dust shields and the soda can crunch noise. Either wait a few months for better deals on the 17/18's or order a brand new s55 M2. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.
Dude you are right on and after giving it more thought I agree 100%, I appreciate your candor. I am going to order a relatively base 19 exactly the way I want.

I am from the old Roadfly days, most people on here probably dont even know what that is, but it was one of the very first BMW forums in the 90s.

It was a wealth of knowledge then, I have been out of the game for a while but this is just a refresher as to these forums make this hobby fun.

Appreciate it.
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

Glad you stated this as an opinion; as we know, opinions are like . . . . . everyone has one.

I think it comes down to what are you expecting from the car and what are your intended uses? If you think you are buying a "collectible" car, some sort of an investment, then, could I interest you in a bridge I have for sale?

No one on this board knows what the 2019 model year refresh is going to be like, other than the reputed swap of the N55 engine for the detuned S55. Whatever the merits of the new engine, this is NOT like the swap of the S54 for the S52 in the old Z3M Coupe at the end of its run, 240 hp vs. 315. Rather, this is more like starting out with what is already an overpowered car, for most uses, and then adding a little bit more power to it. And the new engine or the car overall could turn out to be very problematic; no one can know at this point.

And then, the 2019 will again be refreshed in 2020, and then maybe BMW will stop making MT cars altogether. This will happen, the only question is when.

Not buying now is basically just having faith that what comes out next will be better. It might be, but then it might not be. Some believe that the M2 is no improvement on the 1M; I'm in that camp myself. Fortunately I have one, but I'll use the M2 in ways I'd avoid using the 1M, because I want to own it forever. As to the M2? Not so sure, about the one I have on order, nor whatever they will be making a few months or a few years from now.
      02-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Well that just throws my whole purchase a curve, but I am very appreciative of you guys telling me this.

Now I am thinking either wait and find a great deal on a lightly used 16 or wait for a 19 base and order it to spec.

I am also hopeful an individual will be available, or at least some different colors perhaps coming in 19. Wouldnt a Dakar M2 be sick!!! Wishful thinking I know, I am an old BMW M head love the older non metallic colors.
The speculation is announcement in April, cars get made for the public in July. They typically would make a change like this in July after their big vacation in the summer so I can't imagine it would be beyond July, but it makes sense they announce it way before that. They're a ton of VIN numbers now for the new m2 so seems like an announcement and press sooner rather later. It's hard to imagine used prices going up rather than down after that, unless you want Mineral Gray, because not a single S55 m2 has that color, and they made more than 100. MG replaced by a new lighter silver color.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:

There will always be improvements to cars with better stuff. I kind of understand what you're saying but, the same could have been said this time last year before the LCI was announced. You can keep waiting and waiting and never get the car you want.

In my case, due to my impatience; I've been waiting over two years and can't wait anymore. I am glad things worked out where I will have the LCI model, plus a moonroof, something I wanted on the M2 from the beginning.

Having said that I would have gladly bought an pre-LCI car, and still been very happy with it. It will be fun to see what the new M2 will be like and I'm looking forward to seeing member uploads of pics, but I will have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Hey guys, I am a long time BMW enthusiast and M3 owner. I have had them all up till the E92, and for the reasons why you guys love your M2 is why I want one instead of a chubby M4.

I have been researching the market and the forum and can use some advice/help.

For example, my local dealer has a blue 2016 CPO for 53k with 6k miles. That price makes no sense when compared to new.

If anyone has bought a used one lately and can share what you paid etc. that would be awesome.

Joey
I just went through the buying process. I was fine spending up to $60k, but I'm a budget / resale guy. So I wanted a base MG manual w sunroof.

Logic was the same for me. I can get a $57k MSRP car w $2k off for fleet so spending $55k. vs. $53k for a used 17. No brainer.

I ended up buying a 17 4k miles MG manual w MPE for $51,500. Why not get a new one?

1. There were only 2 18 MG manuals on dealer lots across the East U.S. And I had a trade. The dealer with the 18 MG was lowballing me on my trade.

2. Low inventory - you will see dealers with M2's listed for sale but they are not in the dealer. Its a "bait and switch" to get you to call them, so they can talk you into a future allocation.

If you can find an allocation and wait for delivery 2 months or so, you should be fine. I was in a position where I needed to get a car within weeks and not months. Then I was STUCK on MG manual so that meant buying a new 18 was no go.

White and blue seem to be most popular.

So my local dealer made me a sweet deal on a 17 MG manual MPE exec pack apple car play 4k miles, and a great price on my trade. So I jumped on it.

Again, if you can wait for an order there are allocations you can get. Its not so much the M2 is "super hot selling over MSRP" but the simple fact these are low production cars. When I called the smaller dealers, they think this car is gold as they might only get 1 or 2 allocations for an M2 the entire year. So there would not budge off MSRP and were giving me low trade offers.

If you want the 19 then probably need to call around to get on a list. I didnt want to deal with that, who knows when I could get an actual car - December?

Lastly for me, I went w the 17 since I get the car now. If I'm blown away by the 19 then I should get a decent trade for minimal loss then make the move.

But your assessment is correct and spot on. Buying brand new is the best bet, but you have to get an actual car which can be very challenging.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0