BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 prices taking a hit

01-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #23
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
G80 is in the 500 range.

If you guys on the m2 platform are going to be driving a 400-500 hp 3000 lb rwd car. Please be safe. That’s over kill for this car this weight...and pretty close to dangerous for a lot of people. It’s not a spreadsheet
agreed, but better going from this than straight into a car of those numbers from a daily or something. i honestly also believe thats why cars DONT get lighter even when the means to doing so becomes more accessible/cheaper cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
planned obsolence plays a huge role in this, i don't think lease discounts correlate to future value.I don't want M340is having the same power as me on the straights in a year or so

That being said, this is an amazing car but im def following my 5 year M plan and upgrading to a LCI G series M3 if it pans out to be as good as it seems on the whitepaper.
Cant wait to see it doing laps later this year .

This car poops on F series M3/4 though. its not even close IMO
What's so special about the G series? I don't really know anything about the plans. I'm still curious if they are bringing over the AWD from the M5 or what?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What's so special about the G series? I don't really know anything about the plans. I'm still curious if they are bringing over the AWD from the M5 or what?
http://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=701

It will remain RWD only.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #26
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

I agree with the OP these cars have saturated their market somewhat. I know it is the quiet time of the year but dealers have M2's on their lots. My SA told me he has 2 orders for the competition and they see the M2 sales slowing down. I don't care though they are a limited market car as others have pointed out - I don't take delivery of mine till April and i don't care they are still making 15-20 a day in Leipzig. IMHO they should stop making them now. That way we would all benefit rather than see dealers have to give them away.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
I agree with the OP these cars have saturated their market somewhat. I know it is the quiet time of the year but dealers have M2's on their lots. My SA told me he has 2 orders for the competition and they see the M2 sales slowing down. I don't care though they are a limited market car as others have pointed out - I don't take delivery of mine till April and i don't care they are still making 15-20 a day in Leipzig. IMHO they should stop making them now. That way we would all benefit rather than see dealers have to give them away.
If dealers are giving them away, can I send one of them my address and they can ship me one? I'll gladly pay shipping.

Again, you're taking what's happening in one sliver of the world - and not even for actual regular folk, but ONLY BMW employees - and extrapolating it to the rest of the planet. This doesn't work, or Food Lion would look at what's happening to the price of rice in Nicaragua and they'd jack it up to $200 per pound everywhere else. You're equating an employee incentive to dealers "having to give them away".

I'll counter you with this - I'm in Arizona, and I've got 5 dealers within 4 hours of me, including Tucson and Palm Springs. Demand is still so strong that 4 of the 5 dealers won't even taken an ED order because they don't have to, and 0 of the 5 have a 6MT M2 in ANY color. This is the 12th largest metro market in the USA, and there's not a single 6MT M2 in any color within 4 hours. Still think they should stop making them??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
I agree with the OP these cars have saturated their market somewhat.
BS - maybe in your corner of the world. Last night, I surveyed dealers in the Midwest regarding M2s on hand. Some had none or one in stock, a couple had two and a one of the largest dealers had 4. Interestingly, almost all of them had the Executive Package, none of them had a sunroof and the trans split seemed to be slightly in favor of the DCT - but there were plenty of 6-speeds available.

I would consider this to be a normal stock situation. BMW has reached full production on the M2, the special orders (some of which were a year old) have been delivered and winter's not even half over, which stifles the sales of any car that's even a little sporty. With warmer weather on the horizon by the end of March, those in-stock M2s will be gone.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
If dealers are giving them away, can I send one of them my address and they can ship me one? I'll gladly pay shipping.

Again, you're taking what's happening in one sliver of the world - and not even for actual regular folk, but ONLY BMW employees - and extrapolating it to the rest of the planet. This doesn't work, or Food Lion would look at what's happening to the price of rice in Nicaragua and they'd jack it up to $200 per pound everywhere else. You're equating an employee incentive to dealers "having to give them away".

I'll counter you with this - I'm in Arizona, and I've got 5 dealers within 4 hours of me, including Tucson and Palm Springs. Demand is still so strong that 4 of the 5 dealers won't even taken an ED order because they don't have to, and 0 of the 5 have a 6MT M2 in ANY color. This is the 12th largest metro market in the USA, and there's not a single 6MT M2 in any color within 4 hours. Still think they should stop making them??

Just stop making them for Canada. The demand for this kind of car there has got to be a lot less. Colder weather, snow, ice, and a smaller population.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #30
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Just stop making them for Canada. The demand for this kind of car there has got to be a lot less. Colder weather, snow, ice, and a smaller population.
OK OK. I understand and it is winter here......

BUT this is a specialty car - definitely not for everyone. What I am saying is that (unlike other 2 series cars) this car will have a shorter lifespan. 2 years ago you could not get one and now they are starting with the incentives and dealers have them on their lots.....

You can argue that this is specific to Toronto which is the 8th largest city in North America. I would say respectfully that you will see sales slow down this year.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #31
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
OK OK. I understand and it is winter here......

BUT this is a specialty car - definitely not for everyone. What I am saying is that (unlike other 2 series cars) this car will have a shorter lifespan. 2 years ago you could not get one and now they are starting with the incentives and dealers have them on their lots.....

You can argue that this is specific to Toronto which is the 8th largest city in North America. I would say respectfully that you will see sales slow down this year.
Some guy just bought a used MG MY17 for 51k.

HOWEVER I think prices will go down once the M2 Competition is revealed.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #32
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I feel a lot of you are correct. I fully understand that Canada does not and will never represent the entire global market but I do worry about the over supply of M2s in Canada as it always affects resale and desirability. Currently there are roughly 60+ listed on autotrader.ca which is alarming to me. Also note that employees seldom get these great lease deals on M cars. Another fun fact is that employees get to lease it for a year which leads to me believe that there will be a lot more used M2s from 16-18 on the market in 12-14 months.

Some of you have mentioned that cars aren't investments and you don't give a lick about how the car depreciates, that's great and more power to you. I have over 10 cars that I enjoy occasionally and I try my best to make the right decisions to have a bit of free fun. I buy/look for funs cars such as GT4s, 1M, ariel atoms, Z8, Viper ACR, Z3MCoupes, E39 M5s, Z4MCoupes, GT3, 458, 430scud, and new limited sports cars ie Camaro ZL1 1LE, ZR1, demon.

In a way, I was honestly looking for the M2 to have some resale characteristics as the 1M but it seems to look a bit more like the M3/4s in terms of depreciation. I've had my "special" M2 deposit in since Sept 2016 and have been wanting a 6pd M2 for an occasional wife DD. Seeing the local market trends and strong opinion from high up not to get an M2 in the meantime, has made me question if this is trending across the border. I hope its not and I apologize if my topic has offended some M2 owners. If you all believe that this is BS then great. I'm perfectly fine for being wrong on this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #33
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

The RS3 is slaying the M2 in Canada. It's cheaper, and much more weather friendly.
Appreciate 1
SW192441.50
      01-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #34
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
The RS3 is slaying the M2 in Canada. It's cheaper, and much more weather friendly.
Oh yea I forgot about that. The RS3 is cheaper there and make more sense as a DD up north anyway. In the US I think the M2 ends up being the cheaper car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #35
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

I guess mine (took delivery in June 2016) is probably worthless since I am almost at 30K miles. Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #36
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

The new prices are stabilizing mostly to MSRP, with fewer dealers adding outrageous markups.

It's in the used market that prices are falling. There are 2016 and 2017 M2s that have been sitting on Cars.Com and AutoTrader for more than 2 months, and many are now available for $51,000 or less. This is a natural correction as the initial demand from true enthusiasts begins to be satisfied, and probably as some potential buyers await the upcoming competition model that goes on sale this summer.
'17 M2 San Marino Blue, 6MT; 2011 335iS, 2007 328i, 19 Ram 1500, '18 Yamaha MT-07, '14 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. SOLD: '16 European Delivery M3 San Marino Blue, 6MT. '13 335iS, 2002 M3 6MT, 1997 M3, 1998 M3, 1996 328is (picked up in Munich at OLD ED Center), '88 Mustang GT 5.0, '84.5 Mustang SVO Turbo, '77 Rabbit,a cool 1992 Taurus SHO, and KTMs.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #37
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

As I am not taking delivery of my car till the end of March my SA has promised me that I am down for any sales incentives that BMW have - so far it is just $1k because I presently own a BMW (In January they had a free track day if you bought in-stock). I think that they will be wary of cash incentives as that will drive down the prices but I bet they will add something....

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #38
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Try to receive an allocation for a m2 as a company employee when demand remains high. You will not get priority. A consumers interest and loyalty will be the GM's main priority. Sorry, go stand back at the end of the line - always.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #39
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I have seen more than usual used M2's on lots in my city, mostly 2016 models. It just makes me wonder why those people did not keep them; especially when they most-likely were on wait list to get them.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it seems like the prices are gonna take a big hit. I just got notice that all M2's (in Canada at least) can be leased by an employee of BMW for roughly $600cad a month.

I've been in line for an M2 variant for quite a while (first at my dealer), and I have been looking to get an M2 to satisfy the itch in the meantime. Now I'm seriously contemplating if I should go forward with my Competition or CS allocation when it comes.

I know I'm going to stir some pots here but I'm trying to gauge how you guys in the US are seeing this situation. My feeling is that M2 production has ramped up but no one wants these cars. I know a lot of pre lci M2 orders have been dropped for the lci but I don't know if people actually stuck around for the LCI.

An employee friend of mine leased a new 2017 M2 for roughly $965cad (employee pricing) about 5 months ago and with it being about $600 now, that's a worrying trend that I think the M2 is facing. Thoughts?
Did you notice that televisions are on sale right now? The super bowl is coming. oh and 2018 televisons are coming out...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #41
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Here in Austin they sell immediately. Plus I never see other m2s around so no worries on saturation
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #42
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

It's true there is stock in Canada here and there but I don't see any discounts offered yet aside from the usual 1000 CAD loyalty.

I personally don't expect much of a drop when the new models will be revealed as their supply will be constrained for a while.
Would be nice though. Since I really want a manual rwd bimmer in my life again.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #43
dtmpower98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Lol well not everyone is a BMW employee. Most dealers don't even honor employee leases on M's. At least it was that way when i used to work at a Bmw dealer last year.
Follow me on Instagram- @dtmpower98
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #44
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Buying a new car with the assumption that it will always be the hot thing and demand MSRP or MSRP plus is a surefire way to be disappointed. Personally I could care less what happens to M2 values, I bought my car for the long term as I always do, I drive my cars, enjoy them and when they are worn out get another one or in the case of the M2 turn it into a track car. The guys who buy a car they perhaps cannot afford and trade in cars every couple of years are the only ones who lose. I am always amazed by the guys who buy a new car put a few thousand miles on it and then move on to the next hot car. Did that once when I was young and when I realized the thousands I flushed down the drain I changed my approach to buying cars with a focus on not buying anything I would not be willing to stick with for at least 4 years.

I wouldn't gauge the lease pricing as a indicator of loss of value though. When the M2 first came out there was no residual value history so BMW did what any smart company would do and declined to take residual value risk to move units, they were moving units just fine without having to take that risk. Now that there are established residuals (at least in the short term) it is not surprising that the numbers will change.
Appreciate 1