BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Help. Car on order, how to negotiate trade in beforehand?

01-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Help. Car on order, how to negotiate trade in beforehand?

So I'm considering a dealer allocation for an 18. Its 6 weeks out. I'm going with this dealer b/c they have put in writing $2k more than any other dealer for my trade in. Which is not chump change (to me).

Of course they will not "commit" to that amount on my trade but will re-evaluate when my car comes in.

I'm a bit of a "worrier". I am tempted to go trade my car in tomorrow so I dont have to worry about this for the next 6 weeks. Of course the deposit is refundable, so worse case I just walk.

I will be talking with the sales manager and the guy who do trades tomorrow.

The sales guy, while new, continually tells me "he'll take care of me". I think he is being honest, but not experienced thus I cannot trust him.

So... any tips or suggestions of what I can do? I'm ordering the car from them with a few extra options, thinking I'm getting the extra $$ for my car so that is a wash.

TIA

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

If you have another way to get around, establish the trade-in value and give them your car now. Your car likely will never be worth more than it is today, and you won’t have to be paranoid for the next couple of months about someone hitting it or the market value taking a dive. Plus, if the M2 comes in and you don’t like it, the dealer writes you a check for the trade-in amount and you walk away.

I bought my last three new cars this way, and it saved me as much as 2K each time.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      01-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Would they consider giving you a loaner or a "parts car" for the period when you are car-less? Do you have alternate transportation as suggested by the poster above me?

I have already traded in my 135i Coupe towards my 1M; it has been gone since 12/29, and my M2 hasn't even yet gone into production. I have other cars, so it was a no-brainer for me. No dealer is going to give you a firm trade-in price now, for a car to be traded in 6 weeks from now.
      01-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

If you have time and able to spend your effort, there is always an option to sell it private not for trade-in.

I did sell mine using Autotrader (That is the biggest used car online sale available in Canada) and sold my previous car. As I only have 2 cars (one is for my wife's), I had to ask the buyer to wait until my new one arrives available and he did. And was able to get almost $2k extra compared to what BMW assessted for trade-in value.

If you have another car to roll and have no trouble to commute between the period of selling your old one and getting new one, you can always sell it as early as possible. As someone mentioned above, your car will be valued highest "right now".
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
If you have time and able to spend your effort, there is always an option to sell it private not for trade-in.

I did sell mine using Autotrader (That is the biggest used car online sale available in Canada) and sold my previous car. As I only have 2 cars (one is for my wife's), I had to ask the buyer to wait until my new one arrives available and he did. And was able to get almost $2k extra compared to what BMW assessted for trade-in value.

If you have another car to roll and have no trouble to commute between the period of selling your old one and getting new one, you can always sell it as early as possible. As someone mentioned above, your car will be valued highest "right now".
Selling privately is a good option for some people in some circumstances, and a not-so-good idea in others. It helps if you have the time and if you enjoy "dealing with the public," also depends in part what "the public" is like where you live or will sell the car. Some states incentivize trading a car into the dealer, by charging registration fees/taxes based off of the net purchase price of the new vehicle, with the trade-in(s) netted out. Other states, like Arizona (by report here) don't charge any sales taxes on registering a car that was purchased through a private party sale. That would obviously be a huge advantage to a buyer, assuming the sales price was fair.

Small, manual transmission cars are a really hard sell in some areas. I have test-driven a number of used Porsches and BMWs in Idaho, and one thing was pretty obvious every time; the sellers were not having much luck selling their used cars, and were getting very tired of the exercise. When I would go back to CraigsList or whatever site, a few weeks later, I would see the same cars I had test driven weeks before . . . . still on the market.

Almost everything is "fungible," in one way or another, so worst comes to worst you can always dump a trade-in car at the last minute, however what you get for it might not be very satisfying.
      01-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I'm sort of in the same situation, but have another car to drive. I haven't let the dealer even look at my car yet, and I'm kind of nervous to do so. I may as well get it over with.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

If you guys wait until after you've ordered your new car, you've lost all your negotiating power. You can always bleed a little more out of the trade-in side of the transaction, even if the dealer says there's no more left on the new-car side of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

I was in the same situation. Had a trade in offer that would be long expired by the time my M2 came in. My CA said not to worry, but wouldn’t give me anything in writing. I rolled the dice expecting the worst, but they honored the original trade in amount.
      01-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

You'll likely get reamed doing any trade in at the dealer. If you don't want to go through the hassle of private sale (best price for you, but most hassle), just go to Carmax. I did that with my E90 M3 before picking up my M2 and got about $500 under what I was thinking, but for 30 minutes effort it was worth it.
Once you bring in your trade in to the dealer the numbers all start getting fuzzy and there is an extra variable you should not have to deal with.
      01-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
You'll likely get reamed doing any trade in at the dealer. If you don't want to go through the hassle of private sale (best price for you, but most hassle), just go to Carmax. I did that with my E90 M3 before picking up my M2 and got about $500 under what I was thinking, but for 30 minutes effort it was worth it.
Once you bring in your trade in to the dealer the numbers all start getting fuzzy and there is an extra variable you should not have to deal with.
The other thing you can do with Carmax is to trade in a car that is not what it seems, and they are unlikely to know the difference :-)

I was looking at a white M3 a couple of years ago that was at a Carmax near LA, but it just didn't look right. I thought it might be a special edition of some sort, given the way it appeared to be painted. I posted the link on the M3 forum and it turned out that it was a hack job, with used wheels from a low end 5 series, and a bunch of other anomalies. Basically, some guy had parted out all of the removable stuff he could sell for cash, and put a bunch of cheap shit on the car, then traded it in to Carmax as though it was original. They had it priced like it was original, also.
      01-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #11
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
So I'm considering a dealer allocation for an 18. Its 6 weeks out. I'm going with this dealer b/c they have put in writing $2k more than any other dealer for my trade in. Which is not chump change (to me).

Of course they will not "commit" to that amount on my trade but will re-evaluate when my car comes in.

I'm a bit of a "worrier". I am tempted to go trade my car in tomorrow so I dont have to worry about this for the next 6 weeks. Of course the deposit is refundable, so worse case I just walk.

I will be talking with the sales manager and the guy who do trades tomorrow.

The sales guy, while new, continually tells me "he'll take care of me". I think he is being honest, but not experienced thus I cannot trust him.

So... any tips or suggestions of what I can do? I'm ordering the car from them with a few extra options, thinking I'm getting the extra $$ for my car so that is a wash.

TIA
You sound like you got a great trade in value! I wish I was like that, I’m sure I lost money on my trade in...like everytime. My running joke now is I got a The car for free because I paid Nearly $60k for the M Motorsport hat.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks all for the posts. I decided to just pull the trigger on a local used on, its a 17 but mint w 4k miles on it for a great price. I didnt want to have to worry about a trade in 2 months from now. I'd think about it every day lol... wanted to just get it over with. And I'm trading in a $100k 911, so the value could easily take a $2k to $3k swing when dealing with cars that expensive.

Plus the local trade was matching what I would have gotten on new.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Congrats on your purchase. Ironically there are about 5 used M2's at a dealerships, one I've worked with in the past. This is not a common occurrence. They range from 5 to 7 thousand miles on the odometer. I'm tempted, but really want the one I ordered because it's configured exactly like I want, with a moonroof. I also want to experience the PCD.

I don't have a 100k 911 to trade, just a Focus RS, LOL. It's actually not a bad car, but not a 911 or M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #14
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I don't have a 100k 911 to trade, just a Focus RS, LOL. It's actually not a bad car, but not a 911 or M2.

Lots of people love the RS... when it came out I remember the golf r and sti guys loved it... another plus is it still looks better than the new civic type R
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #15
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
Lots of people love the RS... when it came out I remember the golf r and sti guys loved it... another plus is it still looks better than the new civic type R
Now there's a backhanded compliment!
      01-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really like the RS, but the head-gasket issue had me worried. Ford just released a FSA for the problem. I'm taking mine in Monday. I got contacted by a CA at a dealer I had previous talks with. They had a configurable M2 going into production and he asked if I was still interested.

At the time, I didn't think Ford would ever address the issue. Now that I've started the process, I'm too excited about the M2; and don't want to back out now. At least I'll have the RS fixed for the next buyer. I actually had no symptoms of gasket failure, but was still worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:08 AM   #17
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I really like the RS, but the head-gasket issue had me worried. Ford just released a FSA for the problem. I'm taking mine in Monday. I got contacted by a CA at a dealer I had previous talks with. They had a configurable M2 going into production and he asked if I was still interested.

At the time, I didn't think Ford would ever address the issue. Now that I've started the process, I'm too excited about the M2; and don't want to back out now. At least I'll have the RS fixed for the next buyer. I actually had no symptoms of gasket failure, but was still worried about it.

I think you’ll enjoy the m2, The 6 cylinder inline + twin scroll turbo RWD drives + LSD drives differently than a highly boosted 4cylinder awd. I don’t know about the new RS forward LSD in the 18 models tho.

Drive is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:09 AM   #18
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Now there's a backhanded compliment!
I do that a lot... people can’t tell if it’s a compliment. But people do think I’m an a$$hole. Until they get to know me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
I do that a lot... people can’t tell if it’s a compliment. But people do think I’m an a$$hole. Until they get to know me.
I thought it was kinda funny, but true!
      01-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you’ll enjoy the m2, The 6 cylinder inline + twin scroll turbo RWD drives + LSD drives differently than a highly boosted 4cylinder awd. I don’t know about the new RS forward LSD in the 18 models tho.

Drive is different.
I had a M235i so of sort of know what I'm getting into. My transition between cars have been the same pattern since 2016. I had a Evo X, traded it for the M235i, then traded that car for the Focus RS. All this time I still wanted the M2.

I should have just waited, and got the M2 from the beginning.
Appreciate 0