BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > How much will the M2 Competition cost? (base price without options)

View Poll Results: How much will the CS cost? (base price without options)
Between $65K and $80K 205 79.46%
Between $80K and $95K 50 19.38%
Between $95K and $110K 3 1.16%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

03-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #155
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
Some good points. But I am not sure the market of people to be drawn in by the M2 Comp and redirected to other BMW vehicles is enough to justify the lost profits of pricing the M2 Comp too low. Sony TV is a whole different world in terms of volume.

The approach of putting out residuals that steer people from the M2 toward the M3/M4 in a lease decision shows that they care about the price point, but are using other mechanisms to redirect buyers. If the M2 Comp comes in too low, then they cannot use those redirect strategies because the residuals would become ridiculous.

They also should be careful not to damage the M2 Comp in their desire to use it to leverage M3/M4 sales. If they get the M2 Comp right, it could become the face of the M car, but will have all that ridiculous pricing scheme baggage around it.

I guess we will know soon... though it is not clear we will understand what BMW comes up with
" LOST profits of pricing the M2 comp too low " ... again I say.. the M2 ... whatever flavor you name it.. M2 base.. M2 comp.. M2 this.. M2 that.. they are ALL involve " lost profits " and less margin compared to the sale of a similarly equipped M240, M3 or an M4 . Those " losses" are controlled by a tightly limited production volume... (that's not limited )

if there is ONE thing to understand about MERCHANDISING is that not every product is on the sales floor to generate MAX PROFIT, and the ones that are designated to be profit centers are specifically designed, built, packaged, marketed , and sold as such.

it's easy to see by looking at BMW sales that BMW sells around 6-10X as many 3 series as they do 2 series. BMW has focused far more energy into the 3/4 compared to the 2 series and when it comes to the M cars... once this new car comes out.. they will have saved as much money as possible by grafting over the ENTIRE underpinnings of an M3/M4 onto the smaller chassis.... not just the suspension.. it's now the suspension and complete drivetrain and perhaps even the entire exhaust set up.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-19-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
dmboone254970.50
Chako105.00
      03-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #156
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
" LOST profits of pricing the M2 comp too low " ... again I say.. the M2 ... whatever flavor you name it.. M2 base.. M2 comp.. M2 this.. M2 that.. they are ALL involve " lost profits " and less margin compared to the sale of a similarly equipped M240, M3 or an M4 . Those " losses" are controlled by a tightly limited production volume... (that's not limited )

if there is ONE thing to understand about MERCHANDISING is that not every product is on the sales floor to generate MAX PROFIT, and the ones that are designated to be profit centers are specifically designed, built, packaged, marketed , and sold as such.

it's easy to see by looking at BMW sales that BMW sells around 6-10X as many 3 series as they do 2 series. BMW has focused far more energy into the 3/4 compared to the 2 series and when it comes to the M cars... once this new car comes out.. they will have saved as much money as possible by grafting over the ENTIRE underpinnings of an M3/M4 onto the smaller chassis.... not just the suspension.. it's now the suspension and complete drivetrain and perhaps even the entire exhaust set up.
Yes sir - they started with the E92 --> 1M tranformation, then the got more of the F80 --> M2, and the Comp will mechanically be an M3, just in a 2 series body.

I can't wait.
      03-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #157
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Great post
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #158
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
They're not going to reveal pricing during the cars debut. That comes later, most likely 1st week of June. In other words, we all need to keep wearing Depend's and changing them often.
the price is the most important piece of info ammirite? so yeah i guess let's keep chugging along.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #159
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:

I understand the business mechanics. My point is that the investment needs to pay off... in increased sales of the target offering to offset the lost profits of the sacrificial (or bait) offering. Merchandising is a business decision, and business decisions are always to ultimately achieve profit that outweighs the cost... at a percentage that is equal to or greater than other opportunities to invest that money. Not sure I see that with the M2 Comp as a vehicle to increase M3/M4 sales... at least to the degree that points to very aggressive M2 Comp pricing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #160
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

IMO the base MSRP will be close to the actual M3/M4 price.

My estimate for the M2 Comp is between 61K and 64K while the M3/M4 are 67-68K.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #161
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
I understand the business mechanics. My point is that the investment needs to pay off... in increased sales of the target offering to offset the lost profits of the sacrificial (or bait) offering. Merchandising is a business decision, and business decisions are always to ultimately achieve profit that outweighs the cost... at a percentage that is equal to or greater than other opportunities to invest that money. Not sure I see that with the M2 Comp as a vehicle to increase M3/M4 sales... at least to the degree that points to very aggressive M2 Comp pricing.
True in the P&L view in finance department, COM must be always at certain level. This also is usually an average in given portfolio segment (like 2-series with ex. 25%, 3-series with ex. 34% etc.). Within that series you have various models with different margins.

As for marketing standpoint, some of the products might have lower margin (which is to some extent mitigated by low volume) but these, like the M2 can have the halo effect boosting overall sales for given series. They 'earn' more in free (unpaid for) consumer reach (publicity, reviews, tests, general buzz on the Internet, this forum, etc.). This usually is not taken into consideration by any finance department into ROI calculation or margin.

The regular cars and M Performance have probably higher margin than M cars in general. But M division is all about building aspiration. Everybody would like to drive an M car, to be in the club but the aggressive pricing doesn't allow this. People who cannot afford or justify an M car go for other (better for BMW) option - like M240i or M140i (building profitable volume and keeping the margin on an acceptable level for the whole range).
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #162
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanLife View Post
I was told by my local dealer north of Toronto to expect to be in the range of 95k+ OTD on the Competition - was told there will absolutely be dealer markup and already several people in line I was told to expect 100k+ if I wanted to secure one of the first ones.

Made my decision easy to buy Ohlins + M Performance buckets for my LCI
This is close to similar to what I was told in the Calgary Area as well, I was given ~90K CAD "out the door" not including any mark-up - from a sales guy who I know very well, more than just a Sales guy relationship and folks thought I was crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #163
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby P View Post
This is close to similar to what I was told in the Calgary Area as well, I was given ~90K CAD "out the door" not including any mark-up - from a sales guy who I know very well, more than just a Sales guy relationship and folks thought I was crazy.
~$90k CAD out the door with typical options selected sounds right to me
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      03-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #164
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
I was told by my local dealer north of Toronto to expect to be in the range of 95k+ OTD on the Competition - was told there will absolutely be dealer markup and already several people in line I was told to expect 100k+ if I wanted to secure one of the first ones.

Made my decision easy to buy Ohlins + M Performance buckets for my LCI
I do believe markup is illegal in AB.

Given that, thats basically 15K more than an M2 probably more with options. seems right in line.
      03-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #165
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Given that, thats basically 15K more than an M2 probably more with options. seems right in line.
I paid 63.4k for mine brand new for my LCI - I am not sure a S55 + M4 seats and larger brakes is worth 35+k more - I would much rather be in a P car for that money
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #166
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I paid 63.4k for mine brand new for my LCI - I am not sure a S55 + M4 seats and larger brakes is worth 35+k more - I would much rather be in a P car for that money
Sorry you are saying you paid 63K **out the door** in Canada???
      03-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #167
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry you are saying you paid 63K **out the door** in Canada???
WOW! you must be one master negotiator!! Considering 18 M2s average MSRP is 75K CAD throughout Canada..
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      03-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #168
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
WOW! you must be one master negotiator!! Considering 18 M2s average MSRP is 75K CAD throughout Canada..
Yup, I paid website MSRP -1000 dollars
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:36 PM   #169
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I paid website MSRP -1000 dollars
No you didn't. Moving on...
      03-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #170
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Glad you know what happened at my transaction better than I do - show's how credible any information you have is

Guess you over paid and are mad?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #171
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Glad you know what happened at my transaction better than I do - show's how credible any information you have is
Well for one, MSRP is $65,200 before you do anything at all including ship it to Canada. So you say you paid $63,500 which is even MORE than "$1,000 off website MSRP". I will assume your car is AW, manual, no sunroof, no LED headlights. You still have to pay destination (at least $2K), almost always either doc fee or antithetft, so at least $500 between those. You live in Ontario, so you'd even have to pay HST which even on your $1,000 less than MSRP is a whopping $8K.

You are telling this forum you got roughly $10K or maybe more off a brand new LCI M2. I simply don't believe it and not sure why you'd bother bragging about something like that. I got a discount, pretty typical one with some extras that essentially 100% of people can get on the forum with the exception of you apparently. So I'm not mad, just think it's peculiar that not only would you make such a claim but find it to be a point of pride.
      03-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #172
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Guess you over paid and are mad?
Hard to believe you got such a steal, well done. In that case it doesn't make much sense to get or wait for an M2 comp. which will easily cost 90K+ CAD
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #173
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well for one, MSRP is $65,200 before you do anything at all including ship it to Canada. So you say you paid $63,500 which is even MORE than "$1,000 off website MSRP". I will assume your car is AW, manual, no sunroof, no LED headlights. You still have to pay destination (at least $2K), almost always either doc fee or antithetft, so at least $500 between those. You live in Ontario, so you'd even have to pay HST which even on your $1,000 less than MSRP is a whopping $8K.

You are telling this forum you got roughly $10K or maybe more off a brand new LCI M2. I simply don't believe it and not sure why you'd bother bragging about something like that. I got a discount, pretty typical one with some extras that essentially 100% of people can get on the forum with the exception of you apparently. So I'm not mad, just think it's funny that not only would you make such a claim but find it to be a point of pride.
First of all I'm about to take a pic for you of my invoice so you can finally STFU and stop being such a condescending idiot.

Second, you over paid and suck at knowing the right people.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #174
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry was off by a grand - where's my apology?

Last edited by eatingpizzainthef87rules; 03-23-2018 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #175
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Sorry was off by a grand - where's my apology?
A $1,300 discount? Is that "knowing the right people"? Hahaha. Hey man capture the rest of that invoice where it lists what you ACTUALLY paid. As I said in my previous post literally surrounded by asterix, **out the door**. Either you can't read or you're trying to argue a totally different point. But you probably shouldn't be calling people condescending idiots.

Backing up to the point of my post, the Canadian rumors Chako heard about the Competition's pricing seem to be plausible and this only goes to support that.
      03-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #176
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A $1,300 discount? Is that "knowing the right people"? Hahaha. Hey man capture the rest of that invoice where it lists what you ACTUALLY paid. As I said in my previous post literally surrounded by asterix, **out the door**. Either you can't read or you're trying to argue a totally different point. But you probably shouldn't be calling people condescending idiots.
Dude, seriously? Read what you wrote again.

That is what I paid + HST. There is no a/c fee, freight, PDI, or admin fee on my invoice after that number.

I was told by the same contact for this sale that the Comp would be 100+K if you wanted to skip the line and have the 2nd Comp as they could not bump the 1st for legal reasons - 90+ if you wanted to be back of the line - that is NOT with tax / pdi / freight - the equivalent price to what I just posted.

I am not sure how you guys from out west think, but out here people don't talk after tax/fees when they buy cars - just like how auto-trader price is not with tax freight pdi etc etc etc.
Appreciate 0