BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > What tool to cut exhaust pipe?

08-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
snowice
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 6MT

What tool to cut exhaust pipe?

I just bought the Dinan exhaust form x-ph.com. I'm going to try to install it myself. Did a search but nothing really came up. What tool do you guys use to cut the pipe? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowice View Post
I just bought the Dinan exhaust form x-ph.com. I'm going to try to install it myself. Did a search but nothing really came up. What tool do you guys use to cut the pipe? Thanks!
Something like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
snowice
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Something like this.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

You might be able to rent it for free from your local autoparts store. I know OReily has em
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats, post a sound clip once exhaust is installed

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I just used my SawsAll. Because it saws all.

Appreciate 2
Bazgab132.00
ZPrime611.50
      09-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I installed the Dinan exhaust and res delete as well. I rented one of those chain pipe cutters from a local auto parts store but it was super dull and I just ended up wasting and hour or two. I bought a new one online and it still took several hours to cut through the exhaust.

If I did it again I would rent one of those from the auto parts store to score the exhaust (after taking the whole exhaust off from after the downpipe). Then use a reciprocating saw to actually cut the pipe to get it done quickly.

As an aside, I am not 100% happy with the Dinan exhaust and res delete combo. sounds good when you get on it but there is significant drone at highway speeds. Thinking of getting a vibrant resonator welded in.
      09-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
I installed the Dinan exhaust and res delete as well. I rented one of those chain pipe cutters from a local auto parts store but it was super dull and I just ended up wasting and hour or two. I bought a new one online and it still took several hours to cut through the exhaust.

If I did it again I would rent one of those from the auto parts store to score the exhaust (after taking the whole exhaust off from after the downpipe). Then use a reciprocating saw to actually cut the pipe to get it done quickly.

As an aside, I am not 100% happy with the Dinan exhaust and res delete combo. sounds good when you get on it but there is significant drone at highway speeds. Thinking of getting a vibrant resonator welded in.
I ordered one from Amazon for $35, it worked perfectly took 20 minutes. However with the Dinan res delete my muffler sits crooked and has a slight leak...lol

Oh well, aftermarket exhaust FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax
Quote:

I ordered one from Amazon for $35, it worked perfectly took 20 minutes. However with the Dinan res delete my muffler sits crooked and has a slight leak...lol

Oh well, aftermarket exhaust FTW
Wish I had gotten the same one. the one I had had a link that was too loose and one that was too tight when I was first starting out so it was really hard to get a good cut started. It wasn't until I decided to drop the exhaust that it was any easier.
      09-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Wish I had gotten the same one. the one I had had a link that was too loose and one that was too tight when I was first starting out so it was really hard to get a good cut started. It wasn't until I decided to drop the exhaust that it was any easier.
Ohhh I see, well atleast you got it done
Appreciate 0