08-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #23
f4 plt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Congrats on the new M!

Can you please tell us some more about experience with the GT3? What year was it?

I'm looking to add a 997.1 TT next because I feel like I have to experience Porsche ownership at least once, but the M2 is still in the running.
I have had two 997 GT3's a 2007 (997.1 with a 3.6 engine ) and one of the last thirty 2011 997.2's built ( 3.8 engine) The GT3 (997) are a beast to drive and not really enjoyable as a daily driver. The clutch is stiff and the gearing is short and "notchy" Great on the track but not that comfortable is stop and go driving. A better choice all around would be a GT 4 and I had one of those for a year. Quick and nimble, mid engine, and handles like a slot car. Probably the smoothest manual transmission Porsche ever made .

A turbo is a different animal as it is all wheel rather than rear wheel drive so it is about 350 lbs heavier. Great power however. On the track the 997.1 Turbos tended to plow in the corners. The 997.2 turbos added torque vectoring which cured the plowing and made them quicker in the corners but did wear rear brake pad somewhat quicker. On the street the Turbo (997 and 991) are great road cars. Quick and comfortable. There are a few 997 Turbos out there with manual transmission but most and all the Turbo S models have PDK

hope this helped
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4 plt View Post
I have had two 997 GT3's a 2007 (997.1 with a 3.6 engine ) and one of the last thirty 2011 997.2's built ( 3.8 engine) The GT3 (997) are a beast to drive and not really enjoyable as a daily driver. The clutch is stiff and the gearing is short and "notchy" Great on the track but not that comfortable is stop and go driving. A better choice all around would be a GT 4 and I had one of those for a year. Quick and nimble, mid engine, and handles like a slot car. Probably the smoothest manual transmission Porsche ever made .

A turbo is a different animal as it is all wheel rather than rear wheel drive so it is about 350 lbs heavier. Great power however. On the track the 997.1 Turbos tended to plow in the corners. The 997.2 turbos added torque vectoring which cured the plowing and made them quicker in the corners but did wear rear brake pad somewhat quicker. On the street the Turbo (997 and 991) are great road cars. Quick and comfortable. There are a few 997 Turbos out there with manual transmission but most and all the Turbo S models have PDK

hope this helped
Having owned a .1 997 turbo, mk2 997 GT3 (2010; same car as the 2011, as you are aware) and 991 GT3, I have to agree with your assessments. I truly enjoyed the heavy clutch and rifle bolt shifting action on the 997 but did not daily it in heavy traffic. That said, pdk-S on the 991 3 is in another world.

Love the Euro spec SC. Congrats on your M2.

Looking forward to mine in stick variety in Sept.

Last edited by devo; 08-13-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
W///7485.00
      08-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

hope this helped
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Having owned a .1 997 turbo, mk2 997 GT3 (2010; same car as the 2011, as you are aware) and 991 GT3, I have to agree with your assessments. I truly enjoyed the heavy clutch and rifle bolt shifting action on the 997 but did not daily it in heavy traffic. That said, pdk-S on the 991 3 is in another world.

Love the Euro spec SC. Congrats on your M2.

Looking forward to mine in stick variety in Sept.
Thank you both for your feedback. I know for sure the car will not see the track, and would be used on public road and mountain runs on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I don't plan on getting rid of my M's, but would like to experience a force induction car at least once.

Would love a 997 GT3 but those are way too far out of my budget.

Last question. Did the 997.1 Turbo feel special at all, or pretty sedate (if that's even possible). Do you guys miss that car?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
The 911 is a 1983 Euro spec SC and was brought into the states gray market by a previous owner. It would take all day to list all the mods but to name a few. The car was stripped and repainted a year or so ago with all glass, doors and fenders removed. the stripes are painted and under the clear coat. All new rubber was installed. It has a lightweight RS interior and a welded roll bar. The car weighs 2425 lbs with me in it and full fluids. The engine output on a very stingy dyno is 215 at the rear wheels. The suspension is all custom tuned for the car an the list goes on and on. It is a blast to drive on the track and turns heads where ever it goes.
congrats-- it's a beautiful car and I can only imagine how it drives on the track with those mods.
The SC's from the early 80's didn't get a lot of fanfare relative to some of the other 911's from the late 80's to early 90's, unless I'm mistaken, but I've seen a few that were purchased like this and then essentially re done for the track with some very happy drivers
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #27
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Thank you both for your feedback. I know for sure the car will not see the track, and would be used on public road and mountain runs on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I don't plan on getting rid of my M's, but would like to experience a force induction car at least once.

Would love a 997 GT3 but those are way too far out of my budget.

Last question. Did the 997.1 Turbo feel special at all, or pretty sedate (if that's even possible). Do you guys miss that car?
I owned the turbo for less than a year in 2006. It was in the first batch in the country.

It was too softly sprung for my tastes. Although, the awd made it feels as though on rails, it numbed the car a bit. Once I went GT3 there was no turning back.

Having said that, I am fairly hardcore when it comes to sports cars. I could dd a 997.1 GT3 with the only minor gripe being having a manual in stop and go traffic.

The 2007 -2009 turbos have the iconic Mezger engine. Not that the later 9A1 is bad but it's not the true dry sump race bred Mezger. You can also get a manual, although yes PDK is better to retain boost for FI cars of course.

.1 turbos can be had fairly priced imo. I'd put a set of KWs or other good coil overs, a set of BBS wheels and call it a day. Be sure to find one with A.S.S. . (Adaptive Sport Seats)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #28
wenklaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

Its funny the entire DCT or manual debate. I've had manuals all my life in many fast(ish) cars and have to say the DCT makes a lot of sense in the UK, in fact on the M135i/140i's and M240.235i the vast majority are auto ZF's. Manuals are seen as a bit niche market in these sorts of cars and for me personally I much prefer the DCT/ZF than I do the manual in either car. However a bad auto just ruins a car and that's where I think over the pond you have a different perception as so many lazy, unresponsive autos exist over the pond maybe the reason why autos are seen as inferior?
Is all about personal choice, preference at the end of the day, neither makes you more of a driver or enthusiast than the other IMO.

Oh and I have the DCT!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #29
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenklaw View Post
Its funny the entire DCT or manual debate. I've had manuals all my life in many fast(ish) cars and have to say the DCT makes a lot of sense in the UK, in fact on the M135i/140i's and M240.235i the vast majority are auto ZF's. Manuals are seen as a bit niche market in these sorts of cars and for me personally I much prefer the DCT/ZF than I do the manual in either car. However a bad auto just ruins a car and that's where I think over the pond you have a different perception as so many lazy, unresponsive autos exist over the pond maybe the reason why autos are seen as inferior?
Is all about personal choice, preference at the end of the day, neither makes you more of a driver or enthusiast than the other IMO.

I really enjoy PDK-S in my GT3. I was unimpressed with PDK in any other Porsche aside from the RS of course.

My brief drive in the M2 DCT was impressive. I chose the six speed but that was 50/50.

I should get a .2 Gt3 allocation ~ at least I hope. If so the transmission choice there is very difficult. I'll go with the manual as i can always get a dual clutch again but some of these auto boxes are incredible.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #30
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't yours, but there was a late '70's or early '80's 911 SC parked at my bar last week.

Seeing it in person, it's a real beauty!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #31
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
To answer some of the questions. That is 60 years of licensed driving. Yes I got the double clutch as my wife wants to drive it.

the picture is some other toys, I have no intention of growing up and the 911 is not stock and has a third peddle
#GOALS
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #32
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:

Good observation.

I haven't decided yet on which one to get, manual or DCT, but IMO they are both good choices, no clear winner, it really depends on your circumstanced.

If all I cared about was involvement and nostalgia, then manual would be the choice. However, DCT means wife can drive it, faster on track, faster on acceleration and cool in it's own right. Drawback is really the price if you buy a new one.

Quote:
To answer some of the questions. That is 60 years of licensed driving. Yes I got the double clutch as my wife wants to drive it.

the picture is some other toys, I have no intention of growing up and the 911 is not stock and has a third peddle
Nice classic 911. Congrats on the M2
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #33
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
Good observation.

I haven't decided yet on which one to get, manual or DCT, but IMO they are both good choices, no clear winner, it really depends on your circumstanced.

If all I cared about was involvement and nostalgia, then manual would be the choice. However, DCT means wife can drive it, faster on track, faster on acceleration and cool in it's own right. Drawback is really the price if you buy a new one.

Resale on manual might be better. Cost of replacing DCT is an arm and a leg too. Manual also easier to fix if there is a problem. Perhaps more reliable if you are considering keeping the car for a long time.

I do very much like the DCT myself though.

Last edited by akkando; 08-16-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      08-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #34
Olgunan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
What generation/year 911 is that? It's beautiful btw.
I've had one eye on an air cooled 930 turbo, but the current price bubble seems a bit crazy to me, given the rise over the last 7-8 years.
The 911 is a 1983 Euro spec SC and was brought into the states gray market by a previous owner. It would take all day to list all the mods but to name a few. The car was stripped and repainted a year or so ago with all glass, doors and fenders removed. the stripes are painted and under the clear coat. All new rubber was installed. It has a lightweight RS interior and a welded roll bar. The car weighs 2425 lbs with me in it and full fluids. The engine output on a very stingy dyno is 215 at the rear wheels. The suspension is all custom tuned for the car an the list goes on and on. It is a blast to drive on the track and turns heads where ever it goes.
It's funny how people with the same loves, air and land, flock to the same crowds! Congrats on the M2. I have had mine for a little over a year and love it.

Nice bird too!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #35
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Resale on manual might be better. Cost of replacing DCT is an arm and a leg too. Manual also easier to fix if there is a problem. Perhaps more reliable if you are considering keeping the car for a long time.

I do very much like the DCT myself though.
Excellent points if you keep the car for a very long time. Short term none of them apply. Both manual and DCT seem to be going for about the same price on slightly used cars and warranty covers the other tow.

Based on other, older models, you are correct though. Manuals get better resale and are more durable.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 02:22 AM   #36
wenklaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

Maybe in the USA but the DCT will be the higher resale car in the UK even after the warranty has expired
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Agree, M2 is a good overall package. I've driven my GT3 a lot less since I got my M2.

Inconceivable! I mean come on. .. it's not even as good as your wife's M3!

I'm pretty sure that's what YOU said. ..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #38
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good observation.

Quote:

" Wife can drive it. ".

I sure hope she says the same about you for HER car !! If you're gonna get the transmission she wants does she get to pick the color too ?

Or .. You could buy a manual and TEACH her how to drive you know ...

You can teach an old (or young ) wife new tricks you know !

or.. if you want a DCT leave your wife out of it and man up and start talking more about how the DCT is Faster ... Right Franklin Joseph ?

If you want 6MT.. Don't be an automotive eunuch. Ask her for your balls back and go to the dealer and Get the car YOU want. Not the car your wife wants.
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
      08-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #39
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Why does every single M2 conversation devolve into a P.....orsche measuring contest and a debate on MT vs DCT?
Appreciate 3
bobert858.50
Spa2k1194.00
Not Sure212.50
      08-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #40
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Why does every single M2 conversation devolve into a P.....orsche measuring contest and a debate on MT vs DCT?
Actually this one is turning into a debate about spouses.

If your spouse says .. go ahead honey .. get the transmission you want .. then you know she's a keeper..

If she says anything else .. you've probably lost your man card.
Appreciate 3
M2Nebula547.50
atxsk8r1569.50
bobert858.50
      08-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #41
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Porsche....P<~~y....same thing, and everyone wants the performance model.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #42
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Wait - you forgot the MPP vs. Conti tire debate! JK - please don't.

I'd just like for one happy, positive thread to make it to the end without someone crapping on it with unnecessary negativity. (It's too much to hope for a thread that doesn't get hijacked to a totally different topic...) Oops - I think I just did that.

Back to the OP: Are you noticing any excessive or slightly excessive mechanical whining from the DCT or rear end? I've only driven my '18 a few miles, but my probably oversensitive ears are hearing a whine that sounds like a Ford 9-inch rear end that needs to have the lash adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #43
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
" Wife can drive it. ".

I sure hope she says the same about you for HER car !! If you're gonna get the transmission she wants does she get to pick the color too ?

Or .. You could buy a manual and TEACH her how to drive you know ...

You can teach an old (or young ) wife new tricks you know !

or.. if you want a DCT leave your wife out of it and man up and start talking more about how the DCT is Faster ... Right Franklin Joseph ?

If you want 6MT.. Don't be an automotive eunuch. Ask her for your balls back and go to the dealer and Get the car YOU want. Not the car your wife wants.

It has nothing to do with manning up. I have two cars right now, well actually 3 if you count my wife's (aka the family SUV). I am just debating if I should go back to one dual purpose car for myself, rather than having a DD and HPDE/garage queen car. Two cars, each for their own purpose has its advantages, but also its disadvantages.

Anyway, the thinking behind the wife's comment is not that she is demanding anything, but I know that sometimes, when I have to haul things with the trailer, I need to use "her" car, thus leaving mine for her to drive. Right now when I do that I make sure my DD DSG is in the garage when that happens. However, if I were to go back to just one car, then it would be better if it were not a manual, so that she can easily drive it.
My wife is very gifted in many ways, but driving a manual is not her thing, sadly.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
It has nothing to do with manning up. I have two cars right now, well actually 3 if you count my wife's (aka the family SUV). I am just debating if I should go back to one dual purpose car for myself, rather than having a DD and HPDE/garage queen car. Two cars, each for their own purpose has its advantages, but also its disadvantages.

Anyway, the thinking behind the wife's comment is not that she is demanding anything, but I know that sometimes, when I have to haul things with the trailer, I need to use "her" car, thus leaving mine for her to drive. Right now when I do that I make sure my DD DSG is in the garage when that happens. However, if I were to go back to just one car, then it would be better if it were not a manual, so that she can easily drive it.
My wife is very gifted in many ways, but driving a manual is not her thing, sadly.

IF you get rid of the third vehicle..
IF you take her car.. to use the trailer.
IF she wants to go out.. at that exact same time that you have borrowed her vehicle.....

the 2017 M2 with 6MT hardly can just barely be considered a manual transmission car..

EASY clutch engagement /friction point
extremely light clutch effort
extremely light gearbox effort
traction control
Hill holder
auto rev match

With auto rev match... It's not like she can even grind a gear... and of course.. she doesn't even need to USE the clutch.... so...

Anyone that is INTERESTED in driving this car that is over the age of TWELVE and can reach the pedals.. can.. it's not a 1980s Porsche 930 Turbo slantnose...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-17-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0