BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why do people blur license plates in pictures posted online?

08-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
Blacross
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tundra

Because people don't realize that you can see them while driving... if you have privacy concerns over a picture of your plates you're a paranoid weirdo. Maybe if it's a pic of you breaking the law...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #24
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for all the answers and responses everyone.

Now here is my little weird thing I have done since I got outta military and started my business.

My tag, title, drivers license and insurance are all registered for my cabin not were I currently live and I have a state ID for my current address.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

How is this so hard to understand? When you put something online w/ your car, you're drawing *ATTENTION* to it. This is totally different from you moseying around town w/ your plate in full view because you're just a reg joe there not doing anything 'special' and not attracting attention. Cmon ppl. THINK.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSAPPE92 View Post
The driver privacy protection act has blocked out information so only police, attorneys, insurance, and DMV can use information or release information relating to there work or an investigation.
Quote:
Yep that's why I don't understand.

It also would be parked at post office, grocery, Home Depot, mall all places not only can your plate be cased but you can also people can get an idea of there victim. Heck with all the paranoia I'd think vanity plates would be super no no just so easy to remember.

Just saying
Quote:
Yea I can see if your doing things you shouldn't be doing racing and all that but posting a car for sale or just taking pics of your car.
Quote:
I don't think the cars will match seems easier to just steal or swap plates off car sitting outside
Quote:
I get it and I've done it but I also see that plates can be picked up from anywhere. If I was a criminal I think coming to my neighborhood and looking in shopping centers would be easier.

It also sucks that we have people online that work for police, lawyers, DMV, or insurance that would abuse there job and run plates for the hell of it.
Quote:

Now here is my little weird thing I have done since I got outta military and started my business.

My tag, title, drivers license and insurance are all registered for my cabin not were I currently live and I have a state ID for my current address.
So after all of that you think the 10 seconds to blur your tag is paranoia but at the same time most of what can be used to trace you goes to an address where you don't live? What's the point of a driver's license where you don't live and a state ID where you do? I'm wasting my time blurring my pictures?

I still don't see why I wouldn't spend the 10 seconds to blur it.

Last edited by David70; 08-09-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #27
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Limiting exposure. The internet is worldwide. Seeing me drive around is extremely localized. I can see how many people view my photos when I upload them. On a recent post, some photos were viewed over 10,000 times. That's a lot more active/permanent views vs. what I'd get driving to Home Depot.
Appreciate 1
shay2nak1070.00
      08-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #28
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacross View Post
Because people don't realize that you can see them while driving... if you have privacy concerns over a picture of your plates you're a paranoid weirdo. Maybe if it's a pic of you breaking the law...

I always assume these sellers are hiding a felony conviction. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #29
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Quote:
The driver privacy protection act has blocked out information so only police, attorneys, insurance, and DMV can use information or release information relating to there work or an investigation.
Quote:
Yep that's why I don't understand.

It also would be parked at post office, grocery, Home Depot, mall all places not only can your plate be cased but you can also people can get an idea of there victim. Heck with all the paranoia I'd think vanity plates would be super no no just so easy to remember.

Just saying
Quote:
Yea I can see if your doing things you shouldn't be doing racing and all that but posting a car for sale or just taking pics of your car.
Quote:
I don't think the cars will match seems easier to just steal or swap plates off car sitting outside
Quote:
I get it and I've done it but I also see that plates can be picked up from anywhere. If I was a criminal I think coming to my neighborhood and looking in shopping centers would be easier.

It also sucks that we have people online that work for police, lawyers, DMV, or insurance that would abuse there job and run plates for the hell of it.
Quote:

So after all of that you think the 10 seconds to blur your tag is paranoia but at the same time most of what can be used to trace you goes to an address where you don't live?

I still don't see why I wouldn't spend the 10 seconds to blur it.
Lol yea it sounds bad huh it's like people's PO box
But honestly that is not why I do it it was joke I do it for insurance purposes it's cheaper to register my cars and insurance at my other address and it's legal since I live there enough along with vote there and file tax there

Mine is clearly a tax title and insurance thing just made paranoia joke outta my situation
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #30
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I totally understand though I know state employees even federal who abuse there positions or use work stuff for personal use so I definitely understand why people do it
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #31
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think my biggest i blur the lines is people always asking what you do for work that seems to be the American way of starting conversation. I give them the 2 headed stare.

I never tell people unless we are close and obviously those people I do business with and both at that point don't have to ask cause they know already haha
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #32
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
People hide their license plates for the same reason people use usernames (effectively online pseudonyms) and profile pictures/avatars instead of full legal names, IP Addresses, and passport photos to represent themselves on an open internet forum that is accessible worldwide.

Sure, John Doe has his license plate exposed while he goes for a beer run in Springville, USA.
In fact, anyone who comes in contact with him while he is at Liquor Mart will see that he is a 20-something Caucasian male, 6'2" in height and weighing 200lb.
The cashier carding him may see other information on his ID as he makes his purchase.
But these are localized forms of exposure and John Doe is forgotten by these strangers as soon as the encounter is over.
If a stranger wants to revisit the encounter, he can only do so by the memory in his own head.

Posting any of the above information on an open internet forum essentially creates a carbon-copy of a real-life encounter with those pieces of information.
But the virtual "encounter" is also forgotten as soon as the browser/tab is closed, right?
So what's the difference?
The critical difference is that unlike a "real-life" encounter, the information online is permanently fixed (until deleted, and often still available even after deletion) and has an audience that transcends time-constraints or geography.
If someone wants to revisit the "encounter" to get a closer look, he can do so with a few clicks of the mouse anytime, anywhere, and without the person knowing. He can even screenshot, save, copy, transfer, or forward the information such that it is available even after the original post is deleted.
Anyone across the entire globe can access the information for as long as they want, as many times as they want and at any given time.

As far as privacy is concerned, the internet presents a wild-card that has exponentially more variables (and potential) than a visit to the liquor store.

Of course, unless you live under a rock and never interact with society, there are always privacy risks.
But there's nothing wrong with those who take an extra step to minimize the wild-cards on the internet.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15581.00
David701567.00
      08-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #33
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I think the best answer is that it takes a very short time and it protects your privacy.

I also think most of the reasons given in this thread are pretty tenuous - but frankly it doesn't matter what I think is a legitimate concern or not, it matters only what the owner is concerned about.

Personally, I think risk of theft or reverse lookup is almost the same as when you park in a public parking lot.

If you have a black 135i and need to get fake plates, surely it's going to be a lot easier to unscrew some random car's plates, go driving around the city and find a black 135i, swap their plates with the ones you just stole and take & use the 135i plates; than it is to manufacture a second set of plates.

In Australia, everybody lists their cars for sale on carsales.com.au with photos and number plates so people can do a finance check before talking to the buyer. So, if you DID want to manufacture a second set of plates for a black 135i, it'd be dead easy to find five Australian examples of plates that you could use.

Perhaps it's different in the USA, and yes, I can understand why you don't want your plates coming up first when someone does a google search search for "black 135i".

What hasn't been said yet, and I always assumed the reason was - is mods. Most of us are running all sorts of other mods which may not be 100% street legal (catless downpipes anyone?). The last thing you want is a local cop who's low on his quota jumping on the car forums and taking down plates and mod lists to come pay you a random visit at home for a roadworthy check.

Also, obviously, if you've got a picture/video of you doing burnouts, or showing how your tune performs at 100mi/hr - it's pretty damn stupid to NOT blank your plates.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #34
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

If you do not understand why you blur your license plates on pics you post on the internet then you probably don't understand why you do not post vacation pics on social media. Hint, its for the same reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #35
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
It's stupid. Period. If someone honestly wants your car they will take it. Like most things.

My license plate is posted all over here and other forums. Someone go and get my address. If you do, good for you. My E92 is nothing special.

If you own some super rare or exotic you will have it insured for it's value. There are plenty of events to see extremely rare expensive cars and the plates are on them.

IMO it's all over a few guys who in the 90s had their tricked out cars stolen from them. Like the supra with 80k invested in it...that he left parked out doors. They followed him home from a car meet and stole it.

Again, it's stupid, we drive BMWs.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Smh, some ppl simply just don't get it and are w/ the "I don't have anything to hide so will expose everything!!!" crowd. Might as well get microchipped while you're at it lmao.

Also, right, cuz the 'only' thefts are of super-exotics, not Civics and other reg cars /sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #37
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
They can live in Riviera Beach and drive to Palm Beach Gardens, Delray Beach, Boca Raton and lurk and watch people doing there business in business parking lots at least then they can see what kinds person they will be going after and what to expect.
I was surprised to see someone from Alabama mention Riviera Beach. Have you had the pleasure of visiting? The only good thing about Riviera Beach is that (if so inclined) you could drive through town drunk at 90 mph dragging a dead hooker and the cops wouldn't blink an eye.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #38
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
People hide their license plates for the same reason people use usernames (effectively online pseudonyms) and profile pictures/avatars instead of full legal names, IP Addresses, and passport photos to represent themselves on an open internet forum that is accessible worldwide.

Sure, John Doe has his license plate exposed while he goes for a beer run in Springville, USA.
In fact, anyone who comes in contact with him while he is at Liquor Mart will see that he is a 20-something Caucasian male, 6'2" in height and weighing 200lb.
The cashier carding him may see other information on his ID as he makes his purchase.
But these are localized forms of exposure and John Doe is forgotten by these strangers as soon as the encounter is over.
If a stranger wants to revisit the encounter, he can only do so by the memory in his own head.

Posting any of the above information on an open internet forum essentially creates a carbon-copy of a real-life encounter with those pieces of information.
But the virtual "encounter" is also forgotten as soon as the browser/tab is closed, right?
So what's the difference?
The critical difference is that unlike a "real-life" encounter, the information online is permanently fixed (until deleted, and often still available even after deletion) and has an audience that transcends time-constraints or geography.
If someone wants to revisit the "encounter" to get a closer look, he can do so with a few clicks of the mouse anytime, anywhere, and without the person knowing. He can even screenshot, save, copy, transfer, or forward the information such that it is available even after the original post is deleted.
Anyone across the entire globe can access the information for as long as they want, as many times as they want and at any given time.

As far as privacy is concerned, the internet presents a wild-card that has exponentially more variables (and potential) than a visit to the liquor store.

Of course, unless you live under a rock and never interact with society, there are always privacy risks.
But there's nothing wrong with those who take an extra step to minimize the wild-cards on the internet.
Probably the best answer I really enjoyed it!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #39
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
If you do not understand why you blur your license plates on pics you post on the internet then you probably don't understand why you do not post vacation pics on social media. Hint, its for the same reasons.
Well you don't post vacation pics that show you snorting coke or smoking pot or other drugs or things that can have your fired or hurt your personal business same as plate blurring for racing burnouts or speeding 155mph on empty stretch of interstate but that says nothing about why people do if they don't break the law or speed/race or burnout in public places
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #40
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I only blur plate when I don't want people to know which state I am from. Other then that it's pretty stupid.

I can give anyone in here my plate. Run it, give me my address and name etc. I want to see what you come up with lol
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #41
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well you don't post vacation pics that show you snorting coke or smoking pot or other drugs or things that can have your fired or hurt your personal business same as plate blurring for racing burnouts or speeding 155mph on empty stretch of interstate but that says nothing about why people do if they don't break the law or speed/race or burnout in public places
Let me break this down as simply as I can.

-You post a car pic with plates unblurred online. Innocent enough right...
-you later post on the "what watch are you wearing today thread"
-maybe a month later you post on another forum under the same handle some new toy you bought (firearms, 4KTV, etc.)
-maybe you post on the "what do you do for a living thread"
-post post post post....
-it eventually may add up to a compelling profile and it's a permanent database of yourself and your lifestyle online.
-now all it takes is for you to post that you'll be at this track event, or a car meet, vacation, PCD, ED, blah blah...you get the picture.

You have now given essentially everyone an insight on what you have, where you live, and when to get it. This is common sense, probably why not everyone gets it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:18 AM   #42
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You guys haven't been on the intarweb long, have you?

Back in the late 90s/very early 2000 time frame, when auto crossing and HPDEs were gaining momentum and traction (pun intended), there were multiple instances where people posted pictures of their car participating in these events online, and when they bring their car(s) to dealerships for routine maintenance or warranty repairs, they were denied service and their warranty voided because the dealership or the manufacturer's rep had scoured the mighty intarweb and found pictures with the accompanying license plate numbers to prove the "competitive event" or "because race car" clause. Two very active lifestyle car brands, Mazda and Subaru, were rumored to have collected thousands and thousands of license plate numbers in their sh*tlist by scouring the forums.

So unless you're an absolute saint, have a bone stock car, or don't ever plan on having BMW do any service for free on your car, *I* wouldn't post any pictures of my car with a readable license plate on it.

Another story. This didn't get as much play as it should have, but 5-6 years ago a friend who was a LEO at a local municipality impounded a car, told my friends and I about it because he knew we were BMW guys. The BMW had a bunch of none-CARB legal parts on it, the driver had been driving without a valid license, had OPEN alcoholic containers in the car, and the driver (in his teens) was pissed because they had to drive his BMW to the impound lot rather than flat-bed it because it was too low and he was freaked out that it would SCAPE.

So eventually one of us came across a post on a popular BMW forum (not this one) about a guy ranting about a d*ck cop that pulled him over because he was jealous of him, a young guy, driving an expensive BMW. Douche had given way too much information about the stop, the location, time, and date. So we put two and two together, told our LEO friend about the thread, and he did a little more digging around said BMW forum and found pictures of his car, matching the description, and a bunch of his YouTube videos of him doing triple digit runs on local streets. It didn't end well, I believe the case was submitted to the city DA's office to have the impounded car crushed due to the new found evidence. Don't know if they actually went through with it, I think I asked my friend about it and he said they eventually gave the offender back the car, as the car crushing program isn't technically kosher and the DA didn't want to press charges.

It would be stupid to post any pictures of your car with license plate clearly visible.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #43
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

I just don't put license plates on any of my cars.
Appreciate 2
xQx902.50
      08-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #44
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
But honestly that is not why I do it it was joke I do it for insurance purposes it's cheaper to register my cars and insurance at my other address and it's legal since I live there enough along with vote there and file tax there

Mine is clearly a tax title and insurance thing just made paranoia joke outta my situation
You can do this to avoid taxes but it's not legal, your primary residence for tax purposes and likely for insurance is where you spend over half of the time. You already said the cabin isn't where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
It's stupid. Period. If someone honestly wants your car they will take it. Like most things.
Do you lock your car and house? Same applies, if they really want it they will get it. With the house, I lock it because it is simple and decreases my odds but reality is the lock is a joke for someone that really wants to get in. My house has a dead bolt on it but at the same time is surrounded by glass windows. I have been locking my door for 40 years, likely not once did it matter as someone would have to actually try to open the door to see if it is locked. I still use it.

My goal is to do really basic things that take little time that make it difficult enough the thief moves on to someone else, if he really wants anything I have and is a professional, the locks or internet postings won't make any difference.

Also agree with the above, if everyone was allowed to post their full name, address and picture in their profile virtually no one would, nothing to be gained and at the very least it increases your odds some amount of something negative happening. No forum would even consider doing this.

Last edited by David70; 08-10-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0