08-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #23
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIKE M View Post
Am I the only one who likes the pre-lci cluster better?? Even though they have the dim issue.

Something nostalgic about it to me. Reminds me of the bmws of my past(came from e46 M3). Feels more in line with the pure purpose of the M2 vs the digital dash. Maybe I'm just crazy lol.
No, your not crazy, the gauges are indeed reminiscent of M cars of old. But I dont remember having visibility issues like this with my E46 M3's!

Perhaps there could be a way of enabling the orange backlighting without having the lights on, perhaps not. But BMW should have really noticed this issue and done something about it.

To me at least, it looks like the hood that encases the gauges is too deep, the gauges are set well back in that hood stopping a lot of ambient light getting to the gauges.

Only fix is to fit LCI gauges.

I am not sure what position a person would be in if they were stopped for speeding, or involved in an accident where speed was the ultimate cause of the accident, only to tell the authorities that they could not see the speed they were doing due to inadequate visibility of the gauge cluster!
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoZZa View Post
No, your not crazy, the gauges are indeed reminiscent of M cars of old. But I dont remember having visibility issues like this with my E46 M3's!

Perhaps there could be a way of enabling the orange backlighting without having the lights on, perhaps not. But BMW should have really noticed this issue and done something about it.

To me at least, it looks like the hood that encases the gauges is too deep, the gauges are set well back in that hood stopping a lot of ambient light getting to the gauges.

I am not sure what position a person would be in if they were stopped for speeding, or involved in an accident where speed was the ultimate cause of the accident, only to tell the authorities that they could not see the speed they were doing due to inadequate visibility of the gauge cluster!
This has been covered before, and enabling the back lighting may not be adequate in itself. I really believe BMW should be held liable for this issue. Almost everyone has complained about it and it is the one major drawback to the car.

The cowling/hood depth is fine. A shallower hood would possibly create more reflection. The contrast is the issue. A retrofit to the LCI cluster should be on BMW's pocketbook.

I like the appearance of the gauges themselves, but if you can't read them then what is the point of having them in the first place, it's crazy.

My system is to start out with the temp showing until the car is warmed properly and then switch to the speed display so I can glance at that instead of the speedo itself. Even that display should be larger, but at least I can read the f'n number! Sorry for the rant, but it really is quite pathetic.

Oh, and good luck telling the occifer you were speeding because you couldn't see the gauges on your $60K performance car!
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      08-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #25
M2BSM17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

I think the pre-LCI gauges look dim sometimes because of the bright lighting of the fuel gauge and digital screen. If the whole dash was analog looking, it would maybe seem easier to read. Either way, I like the gray gauges and the orange glow. I like the LCI as well, but will stick with my pre-LCI look.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #26
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I also much prefer orange back lighting.
Right i like more the orange back lighting
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #27
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIKE M View Post
Am I the only one who likes the pre-lci cluster better?? Even though they have the dim issue.

Something nostalgic about it to me. Reminds me of the bmws of my past(came from e46 M3). Feels more in line with the pure purpose of the M2 vs the digital dash. Maybe I'm just crazy lol.
No, I'm with you. Prefer an analogue gauge cluster versus digital.
      08-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #28
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I went to a cars and coffee today, and a guy was there with his 2 day old LCI. I got to say, I like the old gauges. The new ones are really flat. No depth or texture. I still hate the bad visibility in some lighting conditions, but that's a minority of the time. I'd love to see a software update to backlight them all the time. As others have said, it sounds simple enough.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #29
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M2 PE

I'm feeling quite lucky, I've yet to find myself in the position of not being able to read my cluster. Hope the day never comes because I quite like the pre-LCI cluster!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #30
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430409M2 View Post
I'm feeling quite lucky, I've yet to find myself in the position of not being able to read my cluster. Hope the day never comes because I quite like the pre-LCI cluster!
I've not really had an issue either but there are times when I have my shades on and it's maybe went overcast for a few minutes and it is hard to see then. I like new cluster but would prefer something a bit more special and different to regular 2 series, maybe a full digital cluster with personal configuration .
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #31
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Some say turning on backlighting early will not be enough. How was this determined? Seems to me that is all that is needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #32
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Think it was discussed somewhere in this thread>

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Gauge
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #33
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I've had the car 5 weeks now and never had a problem seeing the gauges. In fact I never even need to look at them. I have my MPH on the middle digital section. What more do you need?

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #34
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
I've had the car 5 weeks now and never had a problem seeing the gauges. In fact I never even need to look at them.
Not needing to look at the gauges would indeed seem to be a solution to the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #35
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've had the car 5 weeks now and never had a problem seeing the gauges. In fact I never even need to look at them. I have my MPH on the middle digital section. What more do you need?
More carbonfiber!
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      08-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #36
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
More carbonfiber!
That's the ticket! A matching carbon fiber gauge cover....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #37
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
yeah I actually have not had a problem yet, though the new ones clearly stand out more.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #38
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I usually have water/oil temp on the digital system, so I know when I can get on it!
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #39
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsaville View Post
It looks like F & F Retrofitting in Germany have installed the LCI M2 gauge in a 1 series F20 Diesel:

Now we just need a brave soul to go ask their dealer if they can assist, after all dealers must have to fit and re-code gauges all the time due to faults, I'm guessing.....

MJ
You do realize that you just posted the same video this topic is about?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #40
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Not needing to look at the gauges would indeed seem to be a solution to the problem.
Yup, even though it would be nice to see them at all times, I can hear the engine (rpm) and know what gear I am in (speed).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #41
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
Yup, even though it would be nice to see them at all times, I can hear the engine (rpm) and know what gear I am in (speed).
Yes, most of us are capable of establishing our RPM and approximate speed form knowing which gear we are in and the sound of the engine.

But that still does not detract from the fact that this is a design flaw with the car.

I do prefer the look of the pre-LCI gauges, but their functionality is poor. Remember that we are not blessed with blue skies and sunshine regularly in the UK and it's often overcast. The majority of the roads I drive on are edged with tall trees already blocking the dull light provided by the overcast skies.

90% of the time I cannot see the gauges during daylight, and if the sun does put in an appearance, the sunglasses go on, then of course gauge visibility is nonexistent!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #42
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, most of us are capable of establishing our RPM and approximate speed form knowing which gear we are in and the sound of the engine.

But that still does not detract from the fact that this is a design flaw with the car.

I do prefer the look of the pre-LCI gauges, but their functionality is poor. Remember that we are not blessed with blue skies and sunshine regularly in the UK and it's often overcast. The majority of the roads I drive on are edged with tall trees already blocking the dull light provided by the overcast skies.

90% of the time I cannot see the gauges during daylight, and if the sun does put in an appearance, the sunglasses go on, then of course gauge visibility is nonexistent!
I live in Nova Scotia... not too different climate from the U.K... and I think it is hard to read the gauges about 50% of the daytime. Of course, maybe I work to hard and am driving home at night too much!

But I was being flippant. I agree that it is a design flaw and should be fixed. I cannot see why they cannot just adjust the ambient sensor to turn on the backlighting sooner.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #43
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
I do the same thing. I put the MPH on the center display. Reminds me of my Porsche.

If the new LCI guage had shift lights like my e92 M3 - well I may do it. I just like lights
      08-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #44
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep

I had an interesting thought, I wonder if the majority of people with visibility problems also have the km/h version of the gauges. I could see that because a factor.
Appreciate 0