BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Benefits of an M Performance exhaust...

08-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #45
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle View Post
I admittedly have not tried the 'Performance' exhaust. However, I have a Dinan exhaust on my E36 M3 and have always loved the way it sounds. To my ears, the stock M2 exhaust is more aggressive than my Dinan when the car is in sport mode. Why anyone would find a 'louder' exhaust a necessary or desirable modification is absolutely beyond me.

I live in a small town outside of Seattle and thus far seem to have the only M2 here. People walk up to my car on a regular basis to tell me (1) the LBB metallic paint is the most striking, beautiful color they have ever seen on a car; and (2) they love the throaty exhaust, complete with crackles and pops when I ease off the throttle.

The folks at the local grocery have told me they know when I'm pulling into their parking area - they recognize and hear the sound of the exhaust from inside the store. My wife knows when I'm driving up the main street in town because she can hear the car coming from her office nearby.

Unless you feel the need to annoy your neighbors or to be confused with an oncoming fleet of Harleys or hopped up rice rockets, I cannot possibly see the need for a 'performance exhaust' that adds exactly zero to the performance of the car and merely makes more noise. BMW got the M2 exhaust right, unlike the M3/M4, which both sound like vacuum cleaners, not like gasoline powered automobiles, much less BMW M automobiles.
Nice story. It's beyond you because you've never experienced what an incredible and exotic sounding exhaust the MPE is. The best money I've ever spent and would do it again with zero hesitation.
Appreciate 1
Seagull288.50
      08-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #46
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Unless you feel the need to annoy your neighbors or to be confused with an oncoming fleet of Harleys or hopped up rice rockets, I cannot possibly see the need for a 'performance exhaust' that adds exactly zero to the performance of the car and merely makes more noise.
I can't understand all this concern on this forum about not annoying the neighbours. Annoying the neighbours is my number 1 priority - that's why I'm going to get a Fabspeed downpipe and muffler bypass. Sunday mornings 07.00, while those lazy gits are snoring away happily in bed, I'm gonna let her rip !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 5
      08-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #47
AESZ4
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle
I admittedly have not tried the 'Performance' exhaust. However, I have a Dinan exhaust on my E36 M3 and have always loved the way it sounds. To my ears, the stock M2 exhaust is more aggressive than my Dinan when the car is in sport mode. Why anyone would find a 'louder' exhaust a necessary or desirable modification is absolutely beyond me.

I live in a small town outside of Seattle and thus far seem to have the only M2 here. People walk up to my car on a regular basis to tell me (1) the LBB metallic paint is the most striking, beautiful color they have ever seen on a car; and (2) they love the throaty exhaust, complete with crackles and pops when I ease off the throttle.

The folks at the local grocery have told me they know when I'm pulling into their parking area - they recognize and hear the sound of the exhaust from inside the store. My wife knows when I'm driving up the main street in town because she can hear the car coming from her office nearby.

Unless you feel the need to annoy your neighbors or to be confused with an oncoming fleet of Harleys or hopped up rice rockets, I cannot possibly see the need for a 'performance exhaust' that adds exactly zero to the performance of the car and merely makes more noise. BMW got the M2 exhaust right, unlike the M3/M4, which both sound like vacuum cleaners, not like gasoline powered automobiles, much less BMW M automobiles.
cool story bro
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #48
rpps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '12 Golf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_stp View Post
I assume you meant ASD? You can get rid of the those fake sounds by either bypass harness or coding (eg. BimmerCode)
You can have some read here -
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=asd
Cheers.
Asked my dealer to code out ASD and instead they unplugged the module, which also took away my sound system, bluetooth phone, etc.

So, going back.
Appreciate 1
gtaM2390.50
      08-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #49
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpps View Post
Asked my dealer to code out ASD and instead they unplugged the module, which also took away my sound system, bluetooth phone, etc.

So, going back.

Ahhh man, that gave me a good laugh.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #50
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I can't understand all this concern on this forum about not annoying the neighbours. Annoying the neighbours is my number 1 priority - that's why I'm going to get a Fabspeed downpipe and muffler bypass. Sunday mornings 07.00, while those lazy gits are snoring away happily in bed, I'm gonna let her rip !
And this is why society is a shambles these days. How about neighbours who have a sick 1 year old that has been up all night and they finally get into a sleep pattern then you start up your car purely to be a nuisance? Selfish much? Then said 1 year old wakes up again and the cycle begins again. Seriously people can be so self indulged.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #51
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpps View Post

So, going back.

Funny but sad, finding a competent tech/dealer is harder than finding a reputable Doctor.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #52
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I love the idea of the MPE, but I frequently leave the house late at night or in the early morning. Nobody likes to be woken up at those hours. Certainly not by your neighbor's car's exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #53
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

If you are worried about waking your neighbors when you leave the house early in the morning, don't get the M2. Period. Even the stock exhaust at cold idle is loud. My wife complains about the kitchen utensils hanging on the adjoining wall with the garage rattling like mad every time I start the car.

If you are coming home late, the M Performance does have a quieter mode. Then it's just up to you how you modulate the throttle.

You can still cause a racket with the regular exhaust in MDM mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #54
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

I've heard both the stock exhaust and the MPE. While I think the stock exhaust is plenty loud enough for me, I will say the MPE does sound legit. My advice would be to test out the stock exhaust first. As plenty have said here, it's plenty loud enough and has an excellent sound. If you don't think it's loud enough then by all means get the MPE.

Now off to the neighbor rant. We're literally talking about what 30 seconds coming and leaving? Maybe you sit in the car for a few minutes tops. That certainly isn't going to kill anyone, especially your neighbors. Life is way too short to care about what others think and feel about you. I'm all for being considerate but my personal satisfaction comes before others. I work way too hard in life not to enjoy the things I worked hard for. And my neighbors ears definitely hasn't stopped me from buying the car. Week 38 can't come fast enough.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #55
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Unless you feel the need to annoy your neighbors or to be confused with an oncoming fleet of Harleys or hopped up rice rockets, I cannot possibly see the need for a 'performance exhaust' that adds exactly zero to the performance of the car and merely makes more noise.
Hahahahahaha legendary I love it! I'm not apologizing for a factory installed exhaust. If it was some silly after market thing then maybe I'd be more concerned. Besides my idiot neighbors don't hesitate to fire up their lawn mowers at 8am on weekends.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #56
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_au View Post
Quote:
And this is why society is a shambles these days. How about neighbours who have a sick 1 year old that has been up all night and they finally get into a sleep pattern then you start up your car purely to be a nuisance? Selfish much? Then said 1 year old wakes up again and the cycle begins again. Seriously people can be so self indulged.
Hahahahahaha save the children! Cry me a river where are the violins!? Give me a break man people with BMW's and performance exhausts don't exactly represent the unraveling of societal values.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #57
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Your logic sucks and you're breeding.

I'd say that's much more a detriment to society than a loud rumbling at 7am.
Appreciate 2
Corinne1171.00
Poochie9104.50
      08-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #58
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
I'm willing to bet he was being tongue and cheek, but you took the bait anyway.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      08-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #59
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Best post of this thread so far
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #60
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I should perhaps explain in case more people think I'm a villain ! I live in a small (population 220) mountain village. I have 3 immediate neighbours all of whose houses are 50 metres away from mine, one to the east who is above my house and behind a thick hedge on the other side of the road, one to the north who only uses it as a holiday residence, and one to the south who has 3 children. When there's a fresh snowfall he lets his children use a sledge on my garden without asking my permission. In the summer they run riot in my garden and shout at each other. The parents have no authority over their children and shout at them continually. They have set up a heat exchanger for their swimming pool (pointing in my direction) which hums all night and keeps me awake (the village is quiet at night apart from the sound of cowbells which I like, and the sound of the heat exchanger which I don't). Furthermore they often sit out on their terrace with guests and laugh and shout until 2 am, then sleep in in the morning while I get up at 06.30 to go to work. And THAT, my dear fellow forummers, is why I intend to get my revenge
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 9
gtaM2390.50
bobert858.50
ZPrime611.50
bim2er223.50
Robin_NL8717.00
r121444.00
      08-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #61
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Allegro Vanden Plas

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
The benefits are it kicks total ass. Best sounding exhaust I've heard in years. Get it.
I'm definitely getting it now
Appreciate 1
m34m697.00
      08-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #62
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_low_man View Post
Quote:
The benefits are it kicks total ass. Best sounding exhaust I've heard in years. Get it.
I'm definitely getting it now
Your sarcasm aside you can rationalize this decision forever and never arrive at a conclusion. I'm giving you the simple way to think about it, passion. This thing DOES kick ass you will grin from ear to ear every single time you hear it. It never gets old. Don't listen to people who say stock is just as good.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #63
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M2 PE

Quote:
Don't listen to people who say stock is just as good.
Exactly, there is a drastic change in character of the car when you open those valves. Volume level yes, but more so is the sheer raw tone. Yes it's engineered but designed to create smiles for miles.

I won't argue the system isn't a little pricy to purchase. If you can afford it, I would recommend it.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #64
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think he was joking.

[Edit] It appears he wasn't

Last edited by Lieutenant Biscuits; 08-10-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #65
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Your sarcasm aside you can rationalize this decision forever and never arrive at a conclusion. I'm giving you the simple way to think about it, passion. This thing DOES kick ass you will grin from ear to ear every single time you hear it. It never gets old. Don't listen to people who say stock is just as good.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I liked your enthusiasm.

A good friend of mine is into modding BWMs. IHHO getting the exhaust done is the first thing you should do.

Last edited by Lieutenant Biscuits; 08-10-2017 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #66
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Weight savings....in your wallet....
Appreciate 1