BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Break-in period strictness

06-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave93 View Post
Also, the Nurburgring was tremendously fun. I strongly recommend it for anyone who is going to do a European Delivery.
Did you happen to ask about whether the insurance BMW provides is valid on the 'ring?
      06-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #24
Shockwave93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 M2 6MT, '05 330Ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Did you happen to ask about whether the insurance BMW provides is valid on the 'ring?
I did not. If I had to guess, you're not covered, so just be careful out there. For me, it was probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I couldn't pass it up. That said, if you want to be extra cautious, check with BMW. They can tell you for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #25
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Isn't the ring considered a "normal" german road where speed limit is unlimited but everything else is road rules ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #26
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
Isn't the ring considered a "normal" german road where speed limit is unlimited but everything else is road rules ?
It's technically a toll road. Not sure about insurance coverage from BMW. I know track damage is definitely not covered under any insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I suspect the coverage in Europe is the same whether you're from Canada or USA, I was explicitly told when I was signing the paperwork for insurance that the Nurburgring is excluded from the coverage.

I went anyway. I had originally expected that the level of risk on the Ring is about the same as track days back here in Canada, after doing it I would say it is higher risk (the days I have done have had much stricter marshals and rules). I would still do it again although I would probably give renting a prepped car more consideration too, that way the car has brake pads and fluids which are suited to the track.

But that isn't to dissuade anyone from taking their ED car on the ring, I did enjoy it immensely. The track is so famous for a reason and getting to experience it in your car is a great experience, just perhaps not one I would need to do every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #28
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I suspect the coverage in Europe is the same whether you're from Canada or USA, I was explicitly told when I was signing the paperwork for insurance that the Nurburgring is excluded from the coverage.
Do you know who told you that? UK policies are definitely trouble because the contracts say they can come back ok the driver, but when I go looking for German answers, I've been finding things like this:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=6

Do you think people are wrong, has something changed in the last year?

I want to be responsible about this before I go, so appreciate your thoughts!
      07-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #29
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The first thing you do when you arrive at the Welt for delivery is go through a bunch of paperwork, they inspect your passport (that was photocopied and sent through with your original ED paperwork) and they then have you sign 4 or 5 documents. One of those documents is the insurance coverage (14 days included free, charges then to extend to 30, 60, etc days). The woman that I had doing the paperwork for my delivery specifically called out the Nurburgring as not covered, how that might be argued with the Touristenfahrten being a toll road, I don't know but I certainly considered it the same as when I take my car to a HPDE, insurance is unlikely to apply.

If you want to be absolutely sure then I would expect that your SA should be able to get you copies of the insurance coverage for you to review before you arrive in Germany.

My recommendation would be to try to do touristenfahrten in the evenings during the week, Tuesday through Thursday are probably the least busy. I certainly noticed a big difference in how busy and aggressive drivers were on Sunday vs Monday vs Tuesday/Wednesday (I didn't drive on Sunday). You can also do taxi-laps, these would help familiarize you with the track and get a bit of a feel for what the traffic is like.

If insurance coverage is a big concern then the best thing to do would be to rent an M2, there are several companies that rent them out in Nurburg.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
lax01
Major
Rep

If you go out first thing in the morning on a weekend, it can be pretty empty. After 9AM, it gets crowded...but more fun. heh
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa691.00
      07-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #31
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
The first thing you do when you arrive at the Welt for delivery is go through a bunch of paperwork, they inspect your passport (that was photocopied and sent through with your original ED paperwork) and they then have you sign 4 or 5 documents. One of those documents is the insurance coverage (14 days included free, charges then to extend to 30, 60, etc days). The woman that I had doing the paperwork for my delivery specifically called out the Nurburgring as not covered, how that might be argued with the Touristenfahrten being a toll road, I don't know but I certainly considered it the same as when I take my car to a HPDE, insurance is unlikely to apply.

If you want to be absolutely sure then I would expect that your SA should be able to get you copies of the insurance coverage for you to review before you arrive in Germany.

My recommendation would be to try to do touristenfahrten in the evenings during the week, Tuesday through Thursday are probably the least busy. I certainly noticed a big difference in how busy and aggressive drivers were on Sunday vs Monday vs Tuesday/Wednesday (I didn't drive on Sunday). You can also do taxi-laps, these would help familiarize you with the track and get a bit of a feel for what the traffic is like.

If insurance coverage is a big concern then the best thing to do would be to rent an M2, there are several companies that rent them out in Nurburg.
We were told the exact opposite during our M4 ED.

More than one Welt employee (upstairs at the desks) told us to have fun especially on the Ring.

"You total it, we build you another one and ship it to the states for you, no deductible".

We did an individual build, so I wasn't interested in waiting another 7 months.

It was raining, we did 2 out of the 4 laps we bought. Enough to earn my sticker.

The ring is a public toll road. That's it.
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa691.00
      07-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #32
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That is interesting. I was told that the coverage otherwise was immense, no deductible and anything/everything was covered but the Ring was excluded. I think getting a copy of the insurance coverage before hand is the best way to clear it up then with such conflicting reports.

I can definitely see early on weekends probably being pretty quiet too, my final lap was on a holiday Thursday but 20 minutes after the track opened and it was still quiet.

I was really happy that my days were completely dry, I've done HPDEs with damp, wet and very wet weather and the Ring with little experience would be quite a handful.
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa691.00
      07-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #33
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Read ALL of the paperwork you sign.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #34
hoyasaxa