06-30-2016, 12:26 AM   #67
tdseahawks
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Yes mate.

So i got a reply.

Thank you for your email to BMW Group Australia regarding your BMW M2. We are disappointed to learn that an aspect of your vehicle has not met with your expectation and for this we offer you our sincere apology.

As BMW Group Australia is not a retail or service outlet, we kindly suggest contacting your preferred BMW Dealer to notify them of your concerns and to arrange a time to inspect your vehicle further.
I guess that makes sense to take it in and have them actually see it for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 02:46 AM   #68
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

So when I have the switch @ 'auto' , no instrument lighting... when switching to fully on(max to the right) the instruments light up like we want it.
How easy can it be to code the latter for the 'auto' mode?

I will ask my dealer today when I'm there.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 5
      06-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #69
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
So when I have the switch @ 'auto' , no instrument lighting... when switching to fully on(max to the right) the instruments light up like we want it.
How easy can it be to code the latter for the 'auto' mode?

I will ask my dealer today when I'm there.

Cheers
Robin

I still think even with the orange backlight it doesn't help that much with visibility during daylight.

Slightly off topic but while talking about the switch being on 'auto' anyone else notice their lights seem to come on and stay on quite often while it's still daylight, not even overcast or anything?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #70
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Good God, talk about people blowing something out of proportion. When the ambient light levels darken to a level that makes it harder to see the dials, then move the switch from the "auto" setting to the "side lights" setting. How difficult is that?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:40 AM   #71
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Good God, talk about people blowing something out of proportion. When the ambient light levels darken to a level that makes it harder to see the dials, then move the switch from the "auto" setting to the "side lights" setting. How difficult is that?
In low light conditions, turning the lights on doesn't improve the situation. Only in really dark or night situations. Could you share your impressions on instrument visibility on YOUR M2? I'll wait...

Last edited by DrKevM5; 06-30-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #72
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Any way someone can encode brighter lights?
You can code the orange backlight on all the time. But as was mentioned, it isn't an end all solution since in bright conditions, it's still hard to see.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #73
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Switching the light switch ain't difficult at all. Fair enough.

However, that does not resolve the issue, because the light sensor still decides autonomously over the backlight intensity when you switched the light switch to the right. The light sensor controls the dimmer: 'very low backlight' when the light sensor considers that there's sufficient light, to 'strong backlight' in full darkness.

But you know that already, do you ?

But unbeknownst to yourself, you're spot on with your "blowing something out of proportion" claim: the light sensor is disproportionately underperforming, so we gotta find a way to blow it out of proportion, allowing to operate the backlight dimmer at maximum intensity regardless of the lighting conditions.
      06-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #74
LinkF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' MG F87 M2

I am a trained human factors engineer and an M2 owner. I agree that the gauge cluster is extremely difficult to see in certain lighting conditions. The specific conditions that I have issues with the gauges is when driving towards the sun, with trees closely along side the road that limit the available light to reflect off of the gauges.

I think the gauges are likely under the recommended contrast ratio under these lighting conditions, while they are above the recommended contrast ration in most other lighting conditions. While there are guidelines for the contrast ratio on gauge displays, these guidelines can't take into account each of our unique experiences because our eye-brain interpretations of the contrast is unique.

I do not beleive that increasing the illuminace of the gauges by turning on the red/orange of the backlighting will lead to a noticable increase in our perceptions of contrast due to the specific characteristics of the lighting conditions that cause the issue. The backlighting would need to provide a greater degree of contrast than the red/orange can to provide effective readability. My recommendation to the designers would be to use white backlighting, or numbers and tick marks with higher reflectance to provide the contrast needed.
Appreciate 5
      06-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #75
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkF1 View Post
I am a trained human factors engineer and an M2 owner. I agree that the gauge cluster is extremely difficult to see in certain lighting conditions. The specific conditions that I have issues with the gauges is when driving towards the sun, with trees closely along side the road that limit the available light to reflect off of the gauges.

I think the gauges are likely under the recommended contrast ratio under these lighting conditions, while they are above the recommended contrast ration in most other lighting conditions. While there are guidelines for the contrast ratio on gauge displays, these guidelines can't take into account each of our unique experiences because our eye-brain interpretations of the contrast is unique.

I do not beleive that increasing the illuminace of the gauges by turning on the red/orange of the backlighting will lead to a noticable increase in our perceptions of contrast due to the specific characteristics of the lighting conditions that cause the issue. The backlighting would need to provide a greater degree of contrast than the red/orange can to provide effective readability. My recommendation to the designers would be to use white backlighting, or numbers and tick marks with higher reflectance to provide the contrast needed.
+1

The best solution IMHO would be a permanent bright white daylight illumination of the gauges.
Like the white LED temperature numbers for the airco. (daylight condition)

Bright red for the needles. (supreme contrast)

-The vissability would be hugely improved
-The matching color would be the icing on the cake
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 06:10 AM   #76
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
In low light conditions, turning the lights on doesn't improve the situation. Only in really dark or night situations. Could you share your impressions on instrument visibility on YOUR M2? I'll wait...
My M2 is built in a month, so I will judge when I take delivery.

The same situation occurs on my M135i. It's not an issue. I just put the side lights on.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #77
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
The same situation occurs on my M135i. It's not an issue. I just put the side lights on.
The contrast between the dials and the background on the M135i is not comparable to the M2, you will see what we mean when you get yours.

[/URL]
Appreciate 3
      07-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #78
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The contrast between the dials and the background on the M135i is not comparable to the M2, you will see what we mean when you get yours.

M135i:
[/URL]
+1000

M2:
      07-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #79
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Whoa. Speaking of inconvenient, it appears they put the start button on the wrong side of your steering wheel?
Postcards and complaints can be sent to:
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Porscheplatz 1
D - 70435 Stuttgart
      07-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #80
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The reason Porsche place the ignition on the left hand side of the steering column stems from Le Mans. It would save time if the driver can jump in the car and shift the gear into 1st with his right hand, and start the car with his left hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #81
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Quote:

M135i:
[/URL]
+1000

M2:
Wow that difference is umm, night and day!
      07-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #82
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Wow that difference is umm, night and day!
Completely different exposure in the photographs. I can take a photo of my M135i instrument binnacle and it can look dim in certain light.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #83
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Completely different exposure in the photographs. I can take a photo of my M135i instrument binnacle and it can look dim in certain light.
True and of course.

The real issue, and that which cannot be captured by a single still image, is the transition of human vision from bright sunny day/road to dark/dim instrument cluster. I would imagine that most people do not have vision that instantly transitions. That's where the problem lies. It is impractical and unsafe to allow for your eyes to adjust. In the absence of adjustment, the cluster is difficult to read. Impossible? No. Difficult, yes.

Regardless, I would consider it a safety issue for those that feel dependent upon their speedo/tach for driving.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #84
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
The bottom part of the dials is my expectation of the top part where the needle is. This is the required contrast.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #85
tdseahawks
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The other day I was driving home and I realized I actually dont mind it anymore. Infact I LIKE how the numbers dont pop out and take my attention...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #86
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdseahawks View Post
The other day I was driving home and I realized I actually dont mind it anymore. Infact I LIKE how the numbers dont pop out and take my attention...
The only thing that pops out is the fuel gauge. For obvious reasons lol.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #87
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

That bites, that would bug the hell out of me. I've never had an issue with the e92 during the day. I'll have to do a daytime comparison...once I can get my hands on an M2.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #88
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Fully agree! First thing I spotted when I drove the press car in April...

Luckily you can code it so that it stays on.

MR
Appreciate 0