miguelbesy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

BMW M2 Glovebox Rattle

Hello everyone,

I have this rattle that is driving me crazy,

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/YZVw0wBRK...lHxIdwxFIF1Uq-

It comes from the glovebox area, has anyone had this issue of this rattle?

I did some searching and some people say it’s the Windshield Fluid Reservoir.

I am trying to fix this!

Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:45 PM   #2
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn’t quite solve it, but did reduce it by some.

I disassembled the whole glovebox and added foam and felt tape to a bunch of areas to quiet it down. I also found that sometimes your registration would rattle around in the glovebox itself as well (since it’s a small area - so I folded it up more and secured it down).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #3
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Oh yeah, I’ve definitely had that one this winter. I’ve gotten as far as purchasing thin felt tape, but no further. I want my wife to come ride along with me to help pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. A similar rattle has also just started up somewhere around the right rear pillar or parcel shelf. It’s really hard to tell the exact location while I’m up in the driver seat. Both of these only seem to occur on cold days (on crappy road surfaces).
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2024, 05:15 PM   #4
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
There are a few bolts that hold that glove box in place you might check to see if they’re loose
      03-24-2024, 03:59 AM   #5
miguelbesy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varooshgog View Post
I didn’t quite solve it, but did reduce it by some.

I disassembled the whole glovebox and added foam and felt tape to a bunch of areas to quiet it down. I also found that sometimes your registration would rattle around in the glovebox itself as well (since it’s a small area - so I folded it up more and secured it down).
I am going to BMW to see if they can do something, I am pretty sure it’s a washer fluid reservoir, look at this: https://youtu.be/gmR3K0gYvdU?si=Ywb6eYSWab5fXRdH
Appreciate 1
jefe2000716.00
      03-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #6
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelbesy View Post
I am going to BMW to see if they can do something, I am pretty sure it’s a washer fluid reservoir, look at this: https://youtu.be/gmR3K0gYvdU?si=Ywb6eYSWab5fXRdH
Hey, so took a look at my washer fluid reservoir behind the passenger front fender liner. My layout didn't really match the F30 (didn't see any foam there), but rather, everything seemed hard mounted to the the panels with a bunch of metal clips.

There was no rattle there on my side (pushing on the reservoir) didn't yield any sound (I added foam anyways while I was there). However, I did notice that one of the cables was loose and rattling around. I ended up zip tying it down and wrapping that cable in felt tape to prevent noise. In addition, there are some channels for that cable to run on the side skirt/rocker panels, and I just secured it in there.

Will take it out today and report back if that fixed it for me, and if so, maybe that is the case with yours as well.

Last edited by varooshgog; 03-26-2024 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:05 PM   #7
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: took the car out and my sound mostly disappeared, so it was likely that loose washer fluid cable that is now zip tied and tucked into the side skirt channels.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 04:23 PM   #8
miguelbesy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varooshgog View Post
Update: took the car out and my sound mostly disappeared, so it was likely that loose washer fluid cable that is now zip tied and tucked into the side skirt channels.
So happy to see this! Happy to see that we are looking already into the problem, did you remove the wheel arch to get access to the washer fluid?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:42 PM   #9
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelbesy View Post
So happy to see this! Happy to see that we are looking already into the problem, did you remove the wheel arch to get access to the washer fluid?
Yep, just take off the wheel and remove a few arch and undercarriage pins/bolts.

Last edited by varooshgog; 03-25-2024 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:18 AM   #10
Shaq93
Rep
Drives: OG M2

I'm pleasantly surprised to see this thread because my car started making the exact same noise this morning. Hopefully it's an easy fix for me as well cause the rattle is freaking annoying
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:50 PM   #11
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq93 View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised to see this thread because my car started making the exact same noise this morning. Hopefully it's an easy fix for me as well cause the rattle is freaking annoying
Yep, you frankly might be able to get away with not taking off the wheel (just full lock the wheel to the right) and you can make some room for your hands. No need for any tools or anything (other than maybe a pry tool), and you should be able to get in there to zip tie the cables and add some foam/felt tape where you feel it would be useful.

There was a rattle in the door card on my car (both sides) which was caused by some of the panel clips dislodging as well as just excess play with the cables. I went in and zip tied them to the panel and added some thicker foam (1" waterproof sound deadening foam) to help fill up the space and prevent cable movement. That was months ago and that silenced a lot of the sound internally as well.
Appreciate 1
Shaq935.00
      03-27-2024, 08:13 PM   #12
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Oh yeah, I’ve definitely had that one this winter. I’ve gotten as far as purchasing thin felt tape, but no further. I want my wife to come ride along with me to help pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. A similar rattle has also just started up somewhere around the right rear pillar or parcel shelf. It’s really hard to tell the exact location while I’m up in the driver seat. Both of these only seem to occur on cold days (on crappy road surfaces).
Yep. I have both of these as well. Driving me nuts, but they come and go. Fairly sure it was driving the previous owner nuts as well as the inside rear panel was not installed correctly. Got in in right now, but still some rattles. Just waiting for warm weather before I go spelunking further to look for it.

Most annoying thing is that my M235, which is identical to the M2 interior wise, was the most rattle free car I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0