BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

07-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #221
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
IMO the whole idea of the MPE and bluetooth actuator is stupid. BMW should just do what Porsche does and make a FACTORY exhaust option and have a button in the damn car already. BMW is trying to hide the fact that this stuff is really still aftermarket with their branding but it's designed by outside contractors and it shows.
You don’t have to go to Porsche. Both Audi and Mercedes offer it on their AMG and RS cars. Volkswagen offers factory fitted Akrapovic exhausts on Golf R as an option too.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:48 AM   #222
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I've only had issues with my MPE valves closing when I keep my Bluetooth enabled iPhone next to the exhaust remote in the cup holder. Moving my iPhone to the center console has solved the problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #223
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Does anybody else just think the whole needing to cut the stock exhaust and then using clamps to fix this exhaust seems cheap and nasty? I'm always a fan of flanges or welds as clamps can loosen leading to leaks etc? Also I'm guessing to return to stock will require welding of the stock exhaust back on?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #224
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

A few short clips of my MPE with Fabspeed SportCat downpipe and Dinan CAI. Not a great edit (a few dead spots) filmed on GoPro but decent sound clips at various RPM's.

https://youtu.be/aeIdJQ6QMQQ

Edit: not sure why the video is not embedding...

Last edited by njw; 08-16-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #225
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Noticed some mild blue-ish heat coloring inside the left exhaust pipe (outer pipe featuring a butterfly valve controlled with the MPE remote) located on the left hand side of the car.

No such coloring inside the other 3 exhaust pipes.

Would have expected the same phenomenon on the right exhaust pipe (outer pipe) located on the right hand side of the car, as it equally features a butterfly valve. But as I said, it ain't the case.

Over 25K kms clocked.

Name:  MPE_Coloring_01.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  269.1 KB
      09-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #226
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I have a question about function. In stock form the valves function based on DME imput, and mode chosen by driver. Efficient, open at WOT I think. Sport, open quicker and more frequently. Sport+, open most of the time. Now don't shoot me...this was based on my M4 function

Now with the BT set up of the MPE does this bypass the DME and they are either open all time or closed all time based on the selection by the driver?

If so I think it should have been Stock function as default and always open based on the request of the driver via BT activation. Defaulting back to stock function after shut down
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #227
Ambrotos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EVO X MR, 2018 BMW M2

So I ordered mine with the MPE and just picked up the car a few days ago. Unfortunately, when I went to use the bluetooth controller to open the valves nothing happens. I have tried it in every mode (Comfort, sport, sport+) with no luck. I did notice that randomly the controller will flash red twice which according to the manual says it isn't getting a signal. Do I need to do something to get the controller and the exhaust paired or is it possible that something isn't plugged in on the exhaust? I'm at a loss and haven't been able to find anything about this. I appreciate any help you guys can give.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #228
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrotos View Post
So I ordered mine with the MPE and just picked up the car a few days ago. Unfortunately, when I went to use the bluetooth controller to open the valves nothing happens. I have tried it in every mode (Comfort, sport, sport+) with no luck. I did notice that randomly the controller will flash red twice which according to the manual says it isn't getting a signal. Do I need to do something to get the controller and the exhaust paired or is it possible that something isn't plugged in on the exhaust? I'm at a loss and haven't been able to find anything about this. I appreciate any help you guys can give.
Check if the module in the trunk is on. Raise the cover where the fuse box is and see if the 0/1 switch is in the 1 position.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #229
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Just had my 1200 mile service done. The M Performance exhaust with the Fabspeed was a huge hit. The kid that greats you got in to pull it up, I him told put it in Sport+ And hit the red button in the cup holder twice, as he blipped the throttle I could read his lips, "Wow". The tech the was taking it for a test rune after the service, told him the same thing, his comments were,"Intoxiting, that a the best sounding exhaust I ever heard."
Makes the full Akropovic system on my M4 sound tame!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #230
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
So I have a question about function. In stock form the valves function based on DME imput, and mode chosen by driver. Efficient, open at WOT I think. Sport, open quicker and more frequently. Sport+, open most of the time. Now don't shoot me...this was based on my M4 function

Now with the BT set up of the MPE does this bypass the DME and they are either open all time or closed all time based on the selection by the driver?

If so I think it should have been Stock function as default and always open based on the request of the driver via BT activation. Defaulting back to stock function after shut down
Any answer to this?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #231
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

The MPE has two flaps. One flap controlled by comfort/sport/sport+ switch. It works exactly like the stock exhaust, DME controls when it is open and closed. Based on engine and switch status.

With the MPE comes another flap you can see if you look into the exhaust (outer tips). It opens and closes with the Bluethooth button. In closed mode the car is a bit louder than the standard exhaust. In Track mode, when the switch light is blinking red, the flap opens and it is real loud.

If in Track mode, still the DME controls the first flap and the exhaust burble as if it is closed, resulting that in comfort you have no burbles and in sport+ you have a lot. The difference is the based sound, which is a lot louder with the Bluethooth flap open compared to the closed state.

By the way in mode traction the burble bangs and plops are unbelievable...

I hope this answers your question.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #232
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
The MPE has two flaps. One flap controlled by comfort/sport/sport+ switch. It works exactly like the stock exhaust, DME controls when it is open and closed. Based on engine and switch status.

With the MPE comes another flap you can see if you look into the exhaust (outer tips). It opens and closes with the Bluetooth button. In closed mode the car is a bit louder than the standard exhaust. In Track mode, wenn the switch light is blinking red, the flap opens and it is real loud.

If in Track mode, still the DME controls the first flap and the exhaust burple as if it is closed, resulting that in comfort you have no burples and in sport+ you have a lot. The difference is the based sound, which is a lot louder with the bluethooth flap open compated to the closed state.

By the way in mode traction the burple bangs and plops are unbelievable...

Yes it did thanks

Was not sure it it controlled both flaps or not. On the M4 both flaps were controlled by the modes but I could switch them open with the JB4 and it was a machine!

So basically the M2 comes stock with one flap like the M235. Thought that was kind of weird for a M car. Then the M-Performance exhaust adds another on the opposite side that you can switch open or closed at your leisure
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #233
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So basically the M2 comes stock with one flap like the M235.
It seems so.

Quote:
Thought that was kind of weird for a M car.
I think the number of flaps does not make a car to an M-car!

Quote:
Then the M-Performance exhaust adds another on the opposite side that you can switch open or closed at your leisure
No the slip on part of the exhaust is really different. Some others and myself explained it some posts before in this thread already. Just search a bit backwards, there is so many info and no question will be unanswered... hint

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #234
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It seems so.

I think the number of flaps does not make a car to an M-car!

No the slip on part of the exhaust is really different. Some others and myself explained it some posts before in this thread already. Just search a bit backwards, there is so many info and no question will be unanswered... hint
Thanks man I did read a bunch of the threads but gets a bit clouded with the off topic stuff and issues of the BT not functioning so thought i would just throw it up here. Back to reading

This time I read from front to back rather than back to front...got my answers much earlier. Good to see only a small few have the flap closing issue. But really surprised one had cracking issues of a stainless exhaust. Thought that was confined to the Ti MPE we had on the F80/82

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 09-19-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #235
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

With the MPE comes another flap you can see if you look into the exhaust (outer tips). It opens and closes with the Bluethooth button. In closed mode the car is a bit louder than the standard exhaust. In Track mode, wenn the switch light is blinking red, the flap opens and it is real loud.

If in Track mode, still the DME controls the first flap and the exhaust burple as if it is closed, resulting that in comfort you have no burples and in sport+ you have a lot. The difference is the based sound, which is a lot louder with the bluethooth flap open compated to the closed state.

By the way in mode traction the burple bangs and plops are unbelievable...

The BT controls both flaps, either you have them open or you have them closed, the DME switching comfort/sport/sport+ does not control the flaps at all unless you have the stock exhaust, MPE is manual control only.
      09-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #236
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M² View Post
The BT controls both flaps, either you have them open or you have them closed, the DME switching comfort/sport/sport+ does not control the flaps at all unless you have the stock exhaust, MPE is manual control only.
BT controls the flaps on the oustside lines, the two black boxes which can be seen in the post here http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=125. I should have used the plural.

If have to correct my statement below

Quote:
The MPE has not a flap controlled by the status of the comfort/sport/sport+ switch. It seems the difference in the sound just comes from the additional burples, crackles if sport/sport+ is used but no extra flap. Thanks ///M² for clarification.

Last edited by itf joegun; 09-20-2017 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #237
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63 M6, E36 M3 EVO (Euro Spec)

Guys

Would you say that the MPE is worth the money or is it better to go for an aftermarket exhaust. I ask this because the MPE option is quite expensive here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #238
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
Rep

Also, does the MPE come installed from Germany or is it installed at the local dealer?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #239
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

In my opinion the MPE transforms the M2 to a new level of fun. I cannot say more about other aftermarket exhausts, but for me the MPE is a very good option. Not too loud in sport mode but infernally in track mode. Best aspect is that it is totally OEM with full warranty. You will not be dissapointed.

My exhaust (bought 9-2016) does not come from the factory, it has been installed by the dealer after the car has arrived. As far as I know there is no other way to get it. For installation the OEM exhaust has been cut and the MPE was connected with a clamp. The end tips are fixed with a screw (TX15) which tend to get loose over the time. At least once a month I have to tighten it a bit to eliminate the rattle during cold startup.

As you can see there are also some downsides of the MPE, maybe others (Akra?) do not have those design flaws...

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2017, 02:27 AM   #240
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply Jochen

Does it drone at any rpm or is it clean sound throughout the rev range?

Quote:
In my opinion the MPE transforms the M2 to a new level of fun. I cannot say more about other aftermarket exhausts, but for me the MPE is a very good option. Not too loud in sport mode but infernally in track mode. Best aspect is that it is totally OEM with full warranty. You will not be dissapointed.

My exhaust (bought 9-2016) does not come from the factory, it has been installed by the dealer after the car has arrived. As far as I know there is no other way to get it. For installation the OEM exhaust has been cut and the MPE was connected with a clamp. The end tips are fixed with a screw (TX15) which tend to get loose over the time. At least once a month I have to tighten it a bit to eliminate the rattle during cold startup.

As you can see there are also some downsides of the MPE, maybe others (Akra?) do not have those design flaws...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:29 AM   #241
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
Thanks for the reply Jochen

Does it drone at any rpm or is it clean sound throughout the rev range?
It drones around 3k rpm in idle state. Below or above it does not drone. If you floor it, no drone either...

Deactivation of ASD is highly recommended. It sounds much more natural with the MPE. No issue with ASD if the factory exhaust is used, but with MPE, I had the feeling that it does not fit. I coded it out with "Carly".

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #242
Hasan Shaikh
Private First Class
Rep

Great. Thanks
Appreciate 0