BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Bizarre electronic behavior of late

08-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

Bizarre electronic behavior of late

May be time for a visit to the dealership because of recent happenings...

Occasionally I will start the car and I'm confronted with failures- traction control malfunction, air bag malfunction and air pressure monitor. Even the nav gps not firing up. All these systems eventually come back online (within 2-3 minutes).

Yesterday however ...I started the car and immediately heard the speakers 'pop' a few times (they seem no worse for wear now though). This was accompanied by the other stuff I've been experiencing and this odd one- the stop-start function reactivated itself.

I've coded my car with BimmerCode so I thought perhaps everything reset itself but not so. As far as I can tell, only the start stop function reset.

Anyone else experience stuff like this?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Nope. Have not experienced anything remotely like that. Sounds like a visit to the dealership (or an exorcist) would be good.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      08-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Nope. Have not experienced anything remotely like that. Sounds like a visit to the dealership (or an exorcist) would be good.
Ditto... the latter being the better option IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Dabozo
Major
Rep

The only pattern I've noticed is that this behavior seems to only occur when I start the car for the first time after it has sat for a while (full day or two). Once I m driving around and park at a store for example, this does not happen when I return to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Battery is draining, possible dodgy battery to begin with. Do you lock the car when it is parked / sitting at home? If not, start doing that and see if it helps.

Modern German cars do not do well when the battery voltage sags too much.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo626.00
      08-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Elon Musk is going to take your M2's soul bit by bit....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Dabozo626.00
      08-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Battery is draining, possible dodgy battery to begin with. Do you lock the car when it is parked / sitting at home? If not, start doing that and see if it helps.

Modern German cars do not do well when the battery voltage sags too much.
Actually I had some battery issues in the spring and It hasn't been 100% since. In fact, when the electronics last went bonkers on me, the startup was a bit laborious.
In the back of my mind I've wondered if all this could be battery related but im not getting the low battery warning like I used to in the spring..so I don't know what to make of this.

To answer your question, I don't lock the car in the garage. But I'll do so to see if it makes a difference.

Next service interval is coming up so I'll def have them check things out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Actually I had some battery issues in the spring and It hasn't been 100% since. In fact, when the electronics last went bonkers on me, the startup was a bit laborious.
In the back of my mind I've wondered if all this could be battery related but im not getting the low battery warning like I used to in the spring..so I don't know what to make of this.

To answer your question, I don't lock the car in the garage. But I'll do so to see if it makes a difference.

Next service interval is coming up so I'll def have them check things out.
I have a Jaguar XF (M2 coming; W37 build), and I had an issue a year or so back where when I started the car I had multiple system failures reported. I turned everything off, and then started up again and most things were OK, but the CEL stayed on for about a day. When I took it to the dealer to have them check it out, sure enough, the battery was at fault and was replaced under warranty.

I was told at the time, that many modern cars have a battery monitoring and conditioning system that tries to increase the life of the battery. This system will periodically allow the battery to discharge and re-charge slightly, to sort of exercise it a bit. What happened to me, was that the system was in the middle of a discharge cycle when I stopped, leaving the battery slightly less charged than maximum, and when I started up, all of these errors were raised because the voltage went too low.

The negative of these systems is that they can cause the symptoms I experienced. The positive however, is that the system detects a failing battery before it leaves you without enough power to start the car, and I think I'd rather have it this way!

My XF is garaged at night every day, and I live in a warm climate, but the battery only lasted about 3 years. It's unlikely that anyone with an M2 would have had a failed battery, but I guess if you live in a climate with greater temperature swings it could be possible...

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Elon Musk is going to take your M2's soul bit by bit....

Cheers
Robin
Not a chance.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
///MIKE M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1393959

Amp was the source of my speaker popping issue, but I never had any of the other issues that you had. Bring to the dealer and have them look at it for free.

And record stuff soo they can't say your crazy and can't duplicate the sound. I uploaded a video for my SA haha
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
The reason I bring up locking the car - all of the modern European stuff has a bunch of electronics that take some time to boot up (especially the nav systems). Leaving the car unlocked is a signal that you might be about to get back in and drive it away at any minute. Given this, it leaves various electronics powered on for longer.

If you lock the car, it shuts most stuff off ASAP, since the assumption is that if the car is locked, you're not returning to drive it as quickly.

Locking it is better from both a battery life perspective, and a security perspective... just get into the habit of locking it in your garage. Not saying it will necessarily fix your problem here (might have a battery issue regardless), but it's a good habit to be in with German cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:18 AM   #12
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

How long after coding with bimmercode did these issues arise?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:31 AM   #13
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
The reason I bring up locking the car - all of the modern European stuff has a bunch of electronics that take some time to boot up (especially the nav systems). Leaving the car unlocked is a signal that you might be about to get back in and drive it away at any minute. Given this, it leaves various electronics powered on for longer.

If you lock the car, it shuts most stuff off ASAP, since the assumption is that if the car is locked, you're not returning to drive it as quickly.

Locking it is better from both a battery life perspective, and a security perspective... just get into the habit of locking it in your garage. Not saying it will necessarily fix your problem here (might have a battery issue regardless), but it's a good habit to be in with German cars.
Oh yes, that is a very good point. I remember the sales person telling me that when I first picked up my Jaguar... Please lock it when you park, even if it's in the garage, because otherwise the battery won't last as long.

Despite being encouraged to do this, I've never actually taken the advice, maybe that's why my first battery only lasted 3 years!?!

I'd therefore extend this point to all European cars, not just German, not that it's particularly relevant on this forum!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #14
NOLAGUY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I had the same problem. It ended up being the amp. It took 2 weeks to get a new one from Germany and installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #15
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:

I took your advice, locked it, and 2 days later I went to start the car and it was the worst so far lol. It barely turned over. So def something going on with battery. Just odd no battery warning message like a used to get.
Anyways, drove down to a local Home Depot to pick up some 8ft door casing ..(ya it fits! Haha) and I was super paranoid that car would not start but as per usual after a drive the car started with no issues.
I'm sure your suggestion was valid but perhaps my battery is too far gone st this point.
Last night I hooked up my battery tender to see once and for all if indeed it's a battery problem.
Appreciate 2
EstorilM367.00
ZPrime611.50
      08-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #16
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
How long after coding with bimmercode did these issues arise?
I've coded in increments. But my last code was the seat belt chime about 2 weeks ago. Yes, car has acted up more since but I think it's just a coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #17
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
I took your advice, locked it, and 2 days later I went to start the car and it was the worst so far lol. It barely turned over. So def something going on with battery. Just odd no battery warning message like a used to get.
Anyways, drove down to a local Home Depot to pick up some 8ft door casing ..(ya it fits! Haha) and I was super paranoid that car would not start but as per usual after a drive the car started with no issues.
I'm sure your suggestion was valid but perhaps my battery is too far gone st this point.
Last night I hooked up my battery tender to see once and for all if indeed it's a battery problem.

Yeah, seems like gremlins or battery then. Locking it should definitely shut off most of the "consumers" pretty quickly.

You don't have anything aftermarket tied into the power system, right? (No dash cams or anything?)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #18
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I've coded in increments. But my last code was the seat belt chime about 2 weeks ago. Yes, car has acted up more since but I think it's just a coincidence.
I see, I was gonna code soon with bimmercode. Hope you figure it out. Does your comfort access still work?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Quote:
I see, I was gonna code soon with bimmercode. Hope you figure it out. Does your comfort access still work?
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, seems like gremlins or battery then. Locking it should definitely shut off most of the "consumers" pretty quickly.

You don't have anything aftermarket tied into the power system, right? (No dash cams or anything?)

No aftermarket electronics.

Definitely battery issue. Got a dud I guess.
I hooked battery up to a tender for a day and no issues since. I will be pushing for a replacement.
Appreciate 0