BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Post Cat sensor disconnect

08-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
arthurfonz
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Post Cat sensor disconnect

I am installing a catless down pipe and am wondering if i remove the post cat sensor what effect will this have ? I could either cap the hole in the down pipe and secure the sensor somewhere or possibly disconnect. Just trying to avoid check engine light. Dont have the ability to code out the sensor but any other ways to avoid the cel ?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurfonz View Post
I am installing a catless down pipe and am wondering if i remove the post cat sensor what effect will this have ? I could either cap the hole in the down pipe and secure the sensor somewhere or possibly disconnect. Just trying to avoid check engine light. Dont have the ability to code out the sensor but any other ways to avoid the cel ?
If you leave the sensor out you will still get a check engine light. If its such a concern, go with a catted downpipe. If you still want catless get a tune and you will never have the CEL pop up since it will be disbabled like you said.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
DocWardM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M2 MG 6MT

I am pretty sure you can use a minicat; plugs inbetween the decatted pipe and O2 sensor. I believe it cost less than $75 and no codes. This should be the website they had recommended. http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurfonz View Post
I would still run it. If it means anything, This car runs off of wideband 02 readings save at idle and low throttle. The MAF is used for finer readings but I unplugged it. So besides low throttle and idle it's the same as the n54. You could run JB4 for an override over MAF readings if you want to unplug the MAF for smoother operation. Plus you can LOG all parameters realtime via Bluetooth on your phone. You can run the car in 100% stock operation or turn it up. Bootmod is the best but it's more of a process to get it in. JB4 and bootmod would get rid of that CEL.

JB4 takes me about 10 minutes to remove. I've tried 3 O2 sims. All Electronic, the mini cats clog but they do apparently work. The 02 sims didn't work for me.

Here's my live setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
arthurfonz
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

thanks for the feedback. think i will just go with high flow cat option
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
J3STER
Private First Class