BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > DCT Off!

04-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #23
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulio2181 View Post
I've got 6k miles on my beloved. Now that I understand the limits, or better said near limitless, nature of the vehicle, I'm tapping into DSC off. Perhaps I'm getting ballsy, but the dynamics of the car seem more balanced when off. Could be total psycho-somatic, but the nannies were starting to piss me off. Especially around tight corners when I know the precisely engineered mechanics would keep me in check and my keen skills attained form Project Cars and Forza on my pc (lol). Keep in mind, I had a C5 ZO6 in a former life, which was uncontrollable with the nannies off and driving like an asshole, I blame the insane instantaneous NA torque on the vette, not me of course.

Just curious if anyone feels the same, or the aforementioned delusional fantasy.
Over intrusive traction/stability control is basically the norm with all BMW's. As others have mentioned I wouldn't recommend turning it off on public roads, but on track I would definitely turn it off or it will be intervening with the slightest hint of slip.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #24
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Over intrusive traction/stability control is basically the norm with all BMW's. As others have mentioned I wouldn't recommend turning it off on public roads, but on track I would definitely turn it off or it will be intervening with the slightest hint of slip.
Slightest hint of slip?! What about the famous MDM mode?! Aren't things supposed to be different in M cars?
      04-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #25
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Quote:
Slightest hint of slip?! What about the famous MDM mode?! Aren't things supposed to be different in M cars?
In my experience even MDM is very intrusive, as in seconds slower on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #26
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
In my experience even MDM is very intrusive, as in seconds slower on the track.
Agreed. MDM is almost as intrusive as comfort IMO. Sport + you can get wheelspin in a straight line on a smooth road, but it definitely does not allow much slip angle at all.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:15 AM   #27
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure I can agree that MDM is very intrusive, it is there but much less intrusive in the M2 than the M4 in my experience. Drove the M2 a fair amount with DSC off at Advanced M School the M2 is stable enough for a properly trained driver on a closed course but I would not recommend it on a public street or for most drivers on a track. With the right training and conditions the M2 is great with DSC off but most should leave it on.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50