BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help me decide on a coilover to meet my goals! PSS10? MPS? KW V3? Something else?

04-05-2024, 12:04 PM   #23
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Literally just search KW rebuild and that's all I've seen from the brand. They are also twin tube typically, and those are not as robust as most monotube.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d#post30182665
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1312679
Is this a joke?

The first thread is from someone that bought a used set with no idea how they were treated, and the second set is from 2016?

Find me multiple threads where people who have street-driven their MPS and had leak issues or don't bother really.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:13 PM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Is this a joke?

The first thread is from someone that bought a used set with no idea how they were treated, and the second set is from 2016?

Find me multiple threads where people who have street-driven their MPS and had leak issues or don't bother really.
I literally didn't say anything about MPS - I said KW. I'm not here to argue and I don't care to "prove" anything to anyone. I saw multiple threads were KWs have been said to need rebuilds - at a rate far more than any other brand. It's not just on this platform, it's across ALL of them.

I'm not sure why everything is so personal to everyone on this forum.
      04-05-2024, 12:19 PM   #25
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I literally didn't say anything about MPS - I said KW. I'm not here to argue and I don't care to "prove" anything to anyone. I saw multiple threads were KWs have been said to need rebuilds - at a rate far more than any other brand. It's not just on this platform, it's across ALL of them.

I'm not sure why everything is so personal to everyone on this forum.
No disrespect! You've been around, you're a smart guy, people look to you for advice all the time, so I just think you should be more careful what you say.

The fact that the MPS is made by KW to BMW's specs is common knowledge, and the MPS has few issues that I can find. If you can find more, and a common theme that they are bad for street use, please do so.

IME most guys running KWV3 instead of the MPS are doing so to either track the car, or to lower it much lower than the MPS will go, both of which can shorten the life of the suspension if not dialed correctly for those situations.

I'm happy to change my mind about it though.

I consider OG Shark to be a guru in this area, so maybe he can chime in.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      04-05-2024, 12:31 PM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
No disrespect! You've been around, you're a smart guy, people look to you for advice all the time, so I just think you should be more careful what you say.

The fact that the MPS is made by KW to BMW's specs is common knowledge, and the MPS has few issues that I can find. If you can find more, and a common theme that they are bad for street use, please do so.

IME most guys running KWV3 instead of the MPS are doing so to either track the car, or to lower it much lower than the MPS will go, both of which can shorten the life of the suspension if not dialed correctly for those situations.

All gravy, appreciate the clarification.
I just have been browsing FS threads for a while, just for the sake of it - And I see ‘a lot*’ of rebuilds for KW. I just saw one that was noted to have 10k on it (F30) these are old threads here and there, so who knows what was done and how they were driven. It’s just something to be aware of.
Ex https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...W#post20247061

*this does not factor in how many people can afford these mid range suspensions and then go on to sell or give a review. It’s not an exhaustive scientific measurement, just observation. Maybe the V3 sells more so it appears more vs other models.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 04-05-2024 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      04-10-2024, 11:03 AM   #27
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

Oh lord far from a guru for sure

I think the main thing with the rebuilds is what you hit on earlier when you said most guys with the MPS & KW don't use them that "hard". That will for sure extend the rebuild/replacement interval. Most MPS kits are not driven hard (and I'm not saying that like it is a bad thing) so you do not see this come up very often. One thing to keep in mind here too is when not driven hard the slow depreciation in performance can be almost imperceptible. I would bet there are quite a few MPS users out there that do not realize they could benefit from a refresher. Breakages are also going to be less with easier usage. With the KW alternative you start to see more users that are interested in either lowering more like you mentioned or a bit of track work. The lowering can absolutely be harsh on suspension components and axles. This can be corrected but more often then not is accepted as a part of what happens when you play the game. I do think with the KW you have more cases of harder usage which will bump the service interval up over the MPS. Not that there is much difference between the two but more usage driven in this case. I'm still not a fan of the MPS approach - the front rates are still relatively soft and too reliant on the dampers to help control the body - but I haven't seen much of a quality issue or anything like that with them.

One thing that does irk me with the MPS is that if BMW thinks it is a better overall solution why did they give us the stock crap in the first place!!
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      04-10-2024, 11:28 AM   #28
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Oh lord far from a guru for sure
Don't be so humble, you know your isht!

Quote:
I think the main thing with the rebuilds is what you hit on earlier when you said most guys with the MPS & KW don't use them that "hard". That will for sure extend the rebuild/replacement interval. Most MPS kits are not driven hard (and I'm not saying that like it is a bad thing) so you do not see this come up very often. One thing to keep in mind here too is when not driven hard the slow depreciation in performance can be almost imperceptible. I would bet there are quite a few MPS users out there that do not realize they could benefit from a refresher. Breakages are also going to be less with easier usage. With the KW alternative you start to see more users that are interested in either lowering more like you mentioned or a bit of track work. The lowering can absolutely be harsh on suspension components and axles. This can be corrected but more often then not is accepted as a part of what happens when you play the game. I do think with the KW you have more cases of harder usage which will bump the service interval up over the MPS. Not that there is much difference between the two but more usage driven in this case. I'm still not a fan of the MPS approach - the front rates are still relatively soft and too reliant on the dampers to help control the body - but I haven't seen much of a quality issue or anything like that with them.
Perfect, thank you.

Quote:
One thing that does irk me with the MPS is that if BMW thinks it is a better overall solution why did they give us the stock crap in the first place!!
It was all about the price-point, and not creating better performance than the F80/F82, which they were dangerously close to already.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 12:59 PM   #29
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

OG Shark Whats the lowering range on the Nitrons? Does it have to be slammed or can i keep it relatively close to stock height?

I do want a little bit lower but not by much at all.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:11 PM   #30
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
OG Shark Whats the lowering range on the Nitrons? Does it have to be slammed or can i keep it relatively close to stock height?

I do want a little bit lower but not by much at all.

Thanks!
Plenty of height adjustment - definitely not forced into slamming it. I prefer to keep my street cars around oem or maybe a hair lower as well. Can actually go a bit higher than oem all the way down to full slammed and anywhere in between.
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      04-17-2024, 11:01 AM   #31
s54_guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, M2C, MK4 R32

Ohlins RT is on sale right now for $2871 @ tire rack. I've just picked up a set and they were delivered in 1 day. Cheapest ive seen anywhere and free shipping.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...e&autoModClar=
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #32
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep
Drives: 18' M2

FYI I have confirmed in the past that KW will NOT rebuild the MPS, since they view it as a BMW product, even though they built it! From other stories on this forum, when people have issues out of warranty, they either have to pay for a whole new strut, or just sell it and get another brand. I couldnt find anyone else besides KW that rebuilds KW suspensions, but maybe someone else knows something.

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for reaching out to KW automotive with your questions regarding our shock service. If these are M performance coilovers those will be a private label that is exclusive to BMW motorsports and you would have to contact them for service."