hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Coding Out Front Collision Radar

To specify, I don't want it coded OUT, I just want it coded so that it's not automatically on when I turn the car on. I use it when I'm in traffic, but I would like the option to manually activate it, like the Lane Assist. Is it possible to code it so it's not automatically on when I turn the M2 on?
      06-14-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
I'm curious: what's the reason to ever have it off?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:55 AM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerDog View Post
I don't really want it off. I was just experimenting and not sure if I'm noticing a difference in mileage/coasting with it off. I forget to turn the feature off when I get in the car to get a true answer so I was just curious if there was a way to code it so it would remember the last setting.

As for why you would want it off, I'm sure most of us learned to drive in a car that doesn't have it (it's my first car that has it), so I'm pretty sure there would be times we would want to turn it off, just like there are times we want to turn the Traction Control or Dynamic Stability Control off.

It's a great feature and I know that it works well, but I was just thinking outside the box.
      06-14-2023, 12:09 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
When you are on the track you definitely want to turn it off.
swampfox941186.50
      06-14-2023, 12:23 PM   #5
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
When you are on the track you definitely want to turn it off.
That's fair, but it sounds like op is thinking about doing it in normal traffic.

Track aside (which I hadn't thought of) there's no reason to turn it off ever IMHO. It doesn't do anything unless you're actively about to have a collision, which can happen to anyone with one little mistake. It's not the same as traction control which you can make arguments for because it DOES change how the car behaves even in some cases where you are still in control (though I cannot think of a single reasonable excuse to turn it off completely past what you get with sport+, unless you're doing donuts it's not going to interfere and you shouldn't be pulling that shit on public roads, but I'm getting off topic).

Anyhow, not my car not my business to tell anyone else how to drive theirs really, just sharing my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 12:30 PM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
I’d never ever turn it off

Saved me from hitting a deer 🦌 at 40mph and without it I definitely was going to hit the quick sucker and then I was given a huge helping hand

Amazing when it actually saves you
      06-14-2023, 02:09 PM   #7
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's fair, but it sounds like op is thinking about doing it in normal traffic.

Track aside (which I hadn't thought of) there's no reason to turn it off ever IMHO. It doesn't do anything unless you're actively about to have a collision, which can happen to anyone with one little mistake. It's not the same as traction control which you can make arguments for because it DOES change how the car behaves even in some cases where you are still in control (though I cannot think of a single reasonable excuse to turn it off completely past what you get with sport+, unless you're doing donuts it's not going to interfere and you shouldn't be pulling that shit on public roads, but I'm getting off topic).

Anyhow, not my car not my business to tell anyone else how to drive theirs really, just sharing my thoughts.
I put this up on the Forum for two reasons:

First, because it is something I would like to know: if it's possible to code it the way I am referring to, but again, this is more just for my scientific curiosity because if it absolutely shows no benefit to being off, then I never would disable it.

Second, because this is the place where we are able to voice our opinions and thoughts, that's what a Forum is for and I welcome all feedback. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion as long as you are not attacking my opinion, and you are not doing that. So anything you have to say would be greatly appreciated because this is how discussions happen and we learn to be more open minded to other points of view. Sometimes, we just need to see things from a different angle...
      06-14-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
I put this up on the Forum for two reasons:

First, because it is something I would like to know: if it's possible to code it the way I am referring to, but again, this is more just for my scientific curiosity because if it absolutely shows no benefit to being off, then I never would disable it.

Second, because this is the place where we are able to voice our opinions and thoughts, that's what a Forum is for and I welcome all feedback. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion as long as you are not attacking my opinion, and you are not doing that. So anything you have to say would be greatly appreciated because this is how discussions happen and we learn to be more open minded to other points of view. Sometimes, we just need to see things from a different angle...
Cheers mate, I appreciate you being open to contrary opinions.

I'm a software engineer, and while I know fuck all about bmw sw (just acknowledging I know I don't have special knowledge here) I really can't imagine it would have an impact on mileage fwiw.

But hey, I appreciate the curious mind, and there's no harm that I know of in trying it out to verify! Maybe there's some crazy ass thing the system is doing that doesn't make sense to anyone but a bmw engineer lol.

I don't think I have much else to offer on this topic so I'll just quietly lurk until some answers creep up. I'm not into the coding scene. Good luck with your pursuits!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #9
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers mate, I appreciate you being open to contrary opinions.

I'm a software engineer, and while I know fuck all about bmw sw (just acknowledging I know I don't have special knowledge here) I really can't imagine it would have an impact on mileage fwiw.

But hey, I appreciate the curious mind, and there's no harm that I know of in trying it out to verify! Maybe there's some crazy ass thing the system is doing that doesn't make sense to anyone but a bmw engineer lol.

I don't think I have much else to offer on this topic so I'll just quietly lurk until some answers creep up. I'm not into the coding scene. Good luck with your pursuits!
You may be interested to know that I actually spoke with a BMW Tech not too long ago, and he said that theoretically, the system should never affect the braking or coasting UNLESS it senses something with the Imminent Collision Radar. That is how it's designed and that makes perfect sense to me. I think that what I saw/experienced was just a fluke with specific conditions (weather, road conditions, etc...) but the main question still remained so now it's more of a coding question as you pointed out.
      06-14-2023, 02:45 PM   #10
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
You may be interested to know that I actually spoke with a BMW Tech not too long ago, and he said that theoretically, the system should never affect the braking or coasting UNLESS it senses something with the Imminent Collision Radar. That is how it's designed and that makes perfect sense to me. I think that what I saw/experienced was just a fluke with specific conditions (weather, road conditions, etc...) but the main question still remained so now it's more of a coding question as you pointed out.
That is indeed interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #11
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Track use. Forgetting to turn it off can fuck up your day
Appreciate 1
DanG10734.50
      06-14-2023, 04:09 PM   #12
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Track use. Forgetting to turn it off can fuck up your day
Yeah someone else pointed out that oversight. Haven't been able to do anything like that with mine yet and never had a car with these features before so it didn't occur to me!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #13
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Do our cars have automatic braking?

I have owned my car for almost 5 years now, and the car has never braked on me once. Just an annoying chime kicks in with a warning sign. I highly doubt we have automatic collision braking??
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #14
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Do our cars have automatic braking?

I have owned my car for almost 5 years now, and the car has never braked on me once. Just an annoying chime kicks in with a warning sign. I highly doubt we have automatic collision braking??
I believe it does, actually, but not until the absolute last second. Less of a "avoid the accident" feature, more of a "lessen the impact" feature.

I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 12:59 PM   #15
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Wait, F87's have radar? Where exactly is the sensor? It's not that huge thing mounted below the grille that G-series cars use. It's not embedded in the BMW logo on the hood, as it is on my VW logo on my Golf R.

I think the collision warning system only uses the camera located behind the rear view mirror. Can any one confirm whether this is the case, or if in fact a radar sensor is lurking somewhere, and if so, where?
      07-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I believe it does, actually, but not until the absolute last second. Less of a "avoid the accident" feature, more of a "lessen the impact" feature.

I could be wrong though.
I've had it lightly and medium tap the brakes, but never been close enough for it to do anything more.

For reference.

The warning time can be set.

Via iDrive:

1. "My Vehicle"
2. "Vehicle settings"
3. "Intelligent Safety"
4. "Warning time"
5. Select the desired setting.

The selected time is stored for the driver profile currently used.

Thanks BigKutta
Appreciate 2
BadgerDog194.00
Kikuchiyo123.50
      07-21-2023, 01:12 PM   #17
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.92]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I've had it lightly and medium tap the brakes, but never been close enough for it to do anything more.

For reference.

The warning time can be set.

Via iDrive:

1. "My Vehicle"
2. "Vehicle settings"
3. "Intelligent Safety"
4. "Warning time"
5. Select the desired setting.

The selected time is stored for the driver profile currently used.

Thanks BigKutta
Oh nice tip I'll have to check that out.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 01:21 PM   #18
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Wait, F87's have radar? Where exactly is the sensor? It's not that huge thing mounted below the grille that G-series cars use. It's not embedded in the BMW logo on the hood, as it is on my VW logo on my Golf R.

I think the collision warning system only uses the camera located behind the rear view mirror. Can any one confirm whether this is the case, or if in fact a radar sensor is lurking somewhere, and if so, where?
From my understanding, our M2s only use the KAFAS camera behind the rear view mirror for the collision warning system; we do not have an additional sensor behind the grill or in the bumper.
      07-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #19
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

Because it does more bad than good if you are a good driver , you might have to manuever out of a nasty situation and the sensor would apply the brakes for you when you DONT WANT the brakes to be applied
      07-24-2023, 05:50 AM   #20
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Mine is sometime tetchy. If going round a corner and it's raining it thinks I'm about to drive into parked cars.

As above is it an actual active braking system?
Appreciate 0