12-25-2017, 12:52 AM   #222
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
My dealer does not have a MT M3 or M4 on the lot; in fact, I don't think I have seen either model on the lot in MT in the 2.5 years when I've had my "collection" of BMWs which results in my visiting my dealer regularly. Virtually every time I go to the dealer, I walk outside and look at all the cars they have for sale, new and used, as well as what is on the showroom floor. Your experience may differ.
I must live in a "LUCKY" area, or my dealership likes to have manuals on hand. I visited a few weeks back, they 2 M3's 2017 and a 2018 in stock in manual. The 2018 was spec'd out exactly how I would spec it. 82k unfortunately. They also had 2 M2's on the floor for sale. I visited another dealership 12 miles further away and they also had a M2 on the sales floor. I have an allocation for a 2nd quarter 2018 build as I do not drive on salt. Have NO idea if I am going to wait another 6months to a year for the next model
      12-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #223
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I must live in a "LUCKY" area, or my dealership likes to have manuals on hand. I visited a few weeks back, they 2 M3's 2017 and a 2018 in stock in manual. The 2018 was spec'd out exactly how I would spec it. 82k unfortunately. They also had 2 M2's on the floor for sale. I visited another dealership 12 miles further away and they also had a M2 on the sales floor. I have an allocation for a 2nd quarter 2018 build as I do not drive on salt. Have NO idea if I am going to wait another 6months to a year for the next model
What? $82k for an M2? There aren't enough options to get that high. No wonder this dealer has M2s in inventory.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #224
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
What? $82k for an M2? There aren't enough options to get that high. No wonder this dealer has M2s in inventory.
For an m3
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #225
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Car gurus shows zero new M2's near me in a dense area and a radius of 200 miles. Auto trader shows nine total, eight of them newly listed, seven of them without pictures within 200 mile radius. My guess is all or most of these are already sold to customers who ordered, with the two with pictures being ones that were not already sold when it hit the lot. Maybe they were ordered at a discount, I don't know.
I have bought a few cars that were "hard to find" over the years. Generally, they are not spread out evenly across geographical areas, and some areas will be awash with them and in others the cars are hard to find and are marked up above MSRP.

I am sure that there are cars that don't fit the general pattern, like some of the hideously expensive Porsche GT Turbos, where production is so limited that a "fair deal" is impossible unless your brother happens to own a dealership. The M2 doesn't fit into that category.

In every instance with popular cars not evenly distributed across the country, I knew of (personally or through car forums) many people who either had cars shipped to them or that hopped a plane or other transportation to get a hugely better deal than they could get locally. When I was buying turbo'd Subarus, there was a dealer in Colorado (Colo Springs, I think) that appeared to sell the majority of their cars to out of state buyers. They also sold parts at a steep discount, online. One of their salesmen was a regular on the STi forum, and they had basically a "welcome program" for people flying in to pick up cars. You won't find this with the M2, but you will find some dealer within a few hundred miles of you who would bend over backwards to get your business.

It's all a matter of motivation on the part of the buyer and the seller, and where they meet is where the deal is made.
True story.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #226
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Look at this! They are everywhere!

Pulled into Lowe's next to my exact car - 2nd time I've seen one in the wild.
Of course the young lad is not of sound mind and still driving on his summer tires...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #227
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Pulled into Lowe's next to my exact car - 2nd time I've seen one in the wild.
Of course the young lad is not of sound mind and still driving on his summer tires...
So many people like this. Then he'll crash and blame BMW for not equipping the car with all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #228
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzz View Post
KBB still lists used 16/17 with typical miles in the 50’s. I wonder how accurate that is at this point.

I’m struggling with pulling the trigger on an 18’ that I was offered $2k off msrp (no USAA), $1500 extra on my trade, and 1.9% financing. Great deal if it wasn’t for these CS rumors that has me wondering if I should wait. A nice perk for this car was the slower depreciation, which moved me away from some other models. Now who knows how it will hold up....
My friend is a private dealer. Auction data shows them at an average price of 47k wholesale. Still a mere 7% drop in price. It's tiny...
      12-29-2017, 01:06 AM   #229
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzz View Post
KBB still lists used 16/17 with typical miles in the 50’s. I wonder how accurate that is at this point.

I’m struggling with pulling the trigger on an 18’ that I was offered $2k off msrp (no USAA), $1500 extra on my trade, and 1.9% financing. Great deal if it wasn’t for these CS rumors that has me wondering if I should wait. A nice perk for this car was the slower depreciation, which moved me away from some other models. Now who knows how it will hold up....
My friend is a private dealer. Auction data shows them at an average price of 47k wholesale. Still a mere 7% drop in price. It's tiny...

Tiny is the right word. #because low production.

It's not like there are 30,000 M2 that have been made. For the US it's about 1250 a year.

What's the annual sales volume of Porsche boxsters in this country ?

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...rsche-boxster/

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...orsche-cayman/

For every M2 sold there are about 2 boxsters and 3 caymans going out the door. When the cars compare favorably to each other and one is rarer by a percentage of 5 to 1... there is some cachet.
Appreciate 3
Wilsm2187.50
SteveSpy373.50
No Boost4021.00
      12-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #230
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
2017s are doing 50k average on Manheim. The lowest sold so far was a 6MT with 8k on it for $47,5k in Orlando.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #231
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
So many people like this. Then he'll crash and blame BMW for not equipping the car with all-seasons.
All season do not work well for winter conditions either. More than enough research has shown that.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #232
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
All season do not work well for winter conditions either. More than enough research has shown that.
Exactly, they are a compromise at best, and like most things that try to accomplish multiple tasks, something has to give and they fail or perform mediocre elsewhere. Dedicated something is better than all around nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #233
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Quote:
2017s are doing 50k average on Manheim. The lowest sold so far was a 6MT with 8k on it for $47,5k in Orlando.
That's insane... when will they start dropping?
      12-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #234
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Exactly, they are a compromise at best, and like most things that try to accomplish multiple tasks, something has to give and they fail or perform mediocre elsewhere. Dedicated something is better than all around nothing.
Not necessarily. Snows are no bueno when the roads are say 40-50 degrees - an all season normally stops much better then. So you end up with a trade off - because you often have the wrong tire on the car at the wrong time when you are going dedicated.
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      12-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #235
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily. Snows are no bueno when the roads are say 40-50 degrees - an all season normally stops much better then. So you end up with a trade off - because you often have the wrong tire on the car at the wrong time when you are going dedicated.
True, but I would rather adjust my driving than give up superior performance when it is really needed. Such as full on winter conditions.

Of course it is better yet to adjust what vehicle you are driving.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992542.50
      12-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #236
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Quote:
The point was, this type of person would think they are. I run two sets of wheel and tires, always have, always will. I actually worked in the tire industry for a long time.

Quote:
Depends on the tire. Performance snows are fine in that type of weather. Nobody is putting Q rated ice tires on their M2, not that they are made in the correct type of sizing anyway.
Appreciate 2
M2Nebula547.50
      12-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #237
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
The point was, this type of person would think they are. I run two sets of wheel and tires, always have, always will. I actually worked in the tire industry for a long time.

Depends on the tire. Performance snows are fine in that type of weather. Nobody is putting Q rated ice tires on their M2, not that they are made in the correct type of sizing anyway.
I actually like running slicks in the rain....helps my driving skills.
Appreciate 1
DSTR1241.00
      12-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #238
thesaintjameshotel
United_States
Rep
Drives: f87 m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Some rich dude in his mid-life crisis(es) might go into a BMW dealer, see an M2 on the lot, and make an impulse purchase. Stranger things have happened, however they are very unlikely. Slightly more likely would be to have another rich or richer dude, go into a Porsche dealer and buy a Cayman S or a 911 of some sort on the spot. I say that only because a truly rich person probably doesn't go to the BMW dealer at all, in search of a sports car or sports sedan. He might buy an SUV there (for the help to drive), but not a sporty car. There are just so many flashier and more expensive sporty cars out there that the BMWs don't make the cut.

An M2 is what you might impress the gardener or your neighbor's kid with.

I don't see an M2 as an impulse purchase for very many people; most people who buy one will think long and hard before they do, and the purchase will require financing and/or personal sacrifice.

A typical big city dealership might want to have one on the lot, if they have the right kind of clientele, and for a sale off the lot it should probably not be a manual, since most potential "impulse" customers won't know how to drive one.

Car gurus shows zero new M2's near me in a dense area and a radius of 200 miles. Auto trader shows nine total, eight of them newly listed, seven of them without pictures within 200 mile radius. My guess is all or most of these are already sold to customers who ordered, with the two with pictures being ones that were not already sold when it hit the lot. Maybe they were ordered at a discount, I don't know.
I secured an allocation and ordered a '17 last February and I took PCD in August.
While waiting I perused cars.com often, and kept seeing new 17 m2's for sale at msrp.
Kept seeing them week after week and finally I was like 'what the fuck am I waiting for'...
I called 6 dealerships advertising them, all over the US, and none were actually available.
I got one salesguy at a big dealership in Houston say to me?'those cars aren't available?any car that is ordered by a customer automatically gets listed'..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 05:14 AM   #239
DSTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I actually like running slicks in the rain....helps my driving skills.
One must 'improve' when conditions allow
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #240
DSTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
True for a small few days in winter when temps alleviate momentarily. But in the middle of winter thats a very small compromise for a short time. If the trend was end of winter into spring sure that might not be optimal.

One might look at long range forecast and possibly change to summer wheels. I normally do this by middle Feb. I project and see what comes in the near future for weather in relation to my tire change timing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #241
TXF87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2018 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintjameshotel View Post
I got one salesguy at a big dealership in Houston say to me?'those cars aren't available?any car that is ordered by a customer automatically gets listed'..
Yeah I just checked on my dealer's site (a big dealer in Houston) and my car is showing up on their inventory. It is supposed to arrive in Galveston at the port on the 6th.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #242
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Couldn't believe it personally, but watch this:
Appreciate 0