BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > BMW maintenance options

03-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

BMW maintenance options

I am buying a new 2017 m2. I am debating about buying the maintenance options. I owned a 2011 e92 m3 and drove it for 6 years putting 50,000 miles on the car. I never needed breaks. And most of the maintanence was basic things like oil changes, transmission fluid, differential fluid etc.

I will out about 6000 miles per year on the car and won't drive in winter. I think the main difference between the new and old maintanence program is brakes, clutch for manual cars, wiper blades, and a few other things. All the basic fluid services are included.

Should I pony up the $600 or the $1800 to turn it into what it was before for 4 years? If the brakes are as good as my e92 m3 I don't think I will need brakes during the first 4 years of ownership. That was the main selling point by the dealer.
      03-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
M2BSM17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I have the extended maintenance on my 2014 335i but declinded for the M2. I've come to realize I don't like being locked into the dealers schedule and what the dealer thinks I need. Obviously, they have more expertise than I do, but I'd rather have the flexibility to do things on my schedule. Also, I don't like the worry that I won't get my money's worth if I get rid of the car early or if I don't meet criteria for a bigger item like brakes.

Another quick example: I had a nail in a tire and my low oil light had just come on. I was 50 miles away from being eligible for service (2050 miles on maintenance minder). I asked if they would do the maintenance while I was there for the tire and low oil, and initially, they said they couldn't because it wasn't due according to maintenance plan. I asked the guy to check with someone else and they were able to get it approved, but it still annoyed me. In the end, I'd rather just pay out of pocket when it's time for stuff to be done.
Appreciate 0