BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Opinions On Good Drying & Detailing Towels

04-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Opinions On Good Drying & Detailing Towels

Can anyone recommend drying and detailing micro fibre towels that are edgeless? Also, I've heard that we have to wash the towels in a specific soap to keep it's softness?

Amazon Canada friendly would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I use edgeless MF from The Rag Company for QD and drying; Eagle Edgeless 480 GSM. This company has plenty of options depending on use and your methods.

I ceramic coated my car so it's just about washing, drying and QD spray for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I've gone with a few different towels.

For drying I started with Meguiars waffle weaves, these are available from most places that sell Megs, including Walmart, Canadian Tire, Amazon, etc. Dry pretty well, not bad size wise. Then I got a Chemical Guys waffle-weave, it's massive with pockets from Amazon, it perhaps absorbs a bit more than the Meguiars towels, the size is nice. I've recent picked up one of The Rag Company's Puffle Drying towel 20x40", it's smaller than the CG towel but still plenty big enough for F22/F87, it absorbs really well but is a bit linty still after a couple runs through the wash. Once it stops leaving fluff behind it should be really nice (from eShine here in Canada), it isn't edgeless, it has satin edges.

For waterless washes and general buffing I started with eShine's El Cheapo and Cookie Monster towels. The Cookie Monster towels are very nice, great for buffing. The El Cheapo are fine but nothing too special. I then got some Chemical Guys towels from Amazon, they're somewhere between El Cheapo and Cookie Monster but with a nicer satin edging. Recently I also picked up some of the Eagle Edgeless towels from eShine, I haven't used them in earnest yet but they seem very nice and probably an upgrade over the Cookie Monsters.

For purchasing in Canada I recommend eShine, Old Town Auto Spa, they're both based in Ontario, there is also Auto Obsessed in Edmonton that have an online store, that can work nicely. Otherwise it's mostly Amazon for me. I haven't tried buying from Chemical Guys directly in Canada, I've used Amazon for their stuff usually (but price watching is important on their stuff, prices can vary a lot).
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My Milwaukee cordless leaf blower is excellent at removing a majority of the water in my car after a wash

After that I use whatever microfiber towels I have around. Like the ones from Costco. I have a few newer nicer ones that I got as gifts but the Costco ones aren't bad.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

It usually depends on the vehicle. Ones that are coated or have a really good wax or sealant can use the hose flooding method to remove a large portion.

After that, it a large edgeless microfiber towel. There are many companies that make them. I use MicrofiberTech, big white whale.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
I use edgeless MF from The Rag Company for QD and drying; Eagle Edgeless 480 GSM. This company has plenty of options depending on use and your methods.

I ceramic coated my car so it's just about washing, drying and QD spray for me.
Picking up mine on Thursday, pretty excited! I'll be Ceramic coating mine as well. Mind if I ask how long you waited before you coated?

Will check out your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I've gone with a few different towels.

For drying I started with Meguiars waffle weaves, these are available from most places that sell Megs, including Walmart, Canadian Tire, Amazon, etc. Dry pretty well, not bad size wise. Then I got a Chemical Guys waffle-weave, it's massive with pockets from Amazon, it perhaps absorbs a bit more than the Meguiars towels, the size is nice. I've recent picked up one of The Rag Company's Puffle Drying towel 20x40", it's smaller than the CG towel but still plenty big enough for F22/F87, it absorbs really well but is a bit linty still after a couple runs through the wash. Once it stops leaving fluff behind it should be really nice (from eShine here in Canada), it isn't edgeless, it has satin edges.

For waterless washes and general buffing I started with eShine's El Cheapo and Cookie Monster towels. The Cookie Monster towels are very nice, great for buffing. The El Cheapo are fine but nothing too special. I then got some Chemical Guys towels from Amazon, they're somewhere between El Cheapo and Cookie Monster but with a nicer satin edging. Recently I also picked up some of the Eagle Edgeless towels from eShine, I haven't used them in earnest yet but they seem very nice and probably an upgrade over the Cookie Monsters.

For purchasing in Canada I recommend eShine, Old Town Auto Spa, they're both based in Ontario, there is also Auto Obsessed in Edmonton that have an online store, that can work nicely. Otherwise it's mostly Amazon for me. I haven't tried buying from Chemical Guys directly in Canada, I've used Amazon for their stuff usually (but price watching is important on their stuff, prices can vary a lot).
Thanks for the recommends. I have seen suggestions for The Rag Company and Microfibre Madness brands. Microfibre Madness is crazy expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Picking up mine on Thursday, pretty excited! I'll be Ceramic coating mine as well. Mind if I ask how long you waited before you coated?

Will check out your recommendations.
I did the research, talked with some reputable detailers that offered ceramic coating, got some quotes and chose the detailer and product that met my budget and I felt good about. If I was more prepared... I would have coated right away as there is no reason to wait. The longer you wait, the more paint correction you'll need.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
I did the research, talked with some reputable detailers that offered ceramic coating, got some quotes and chose the detailer and product that met my budget and I felt good about. If I was more prepared... I would have coated right away as there is no reason to wait. The longer you wait, the more paint correction you'll need.
Booked mine for May 10. I would've preferred this weekend but his schedule was fullish...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Glass Pro coated mine, all I use is water and Costco microfibre cloth. I do throw them out after a few wash if they picked up any debris.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

First wash for me yesterday and I found this drying towel to be excellent. It is 28" X 20" in size which is a bit smaller than the one available direct from Griot's. One pass was all it took to dry a section sweep. I am going to get a couple of the smaller ones for the front bumper and those types of areas and keep the larger one for the bigger surface areas. Care instructions are listed on the package and are simple enough. Nice quality product.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...919%7CL2*14989

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
M2taz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I just received this kit and know Matt did his diligence putting it together. I've only used the blue drying towel with Ammo Hydrate paint moisturizer so far. All great stuff!

https://obsessed-garage.myshopify.co...fiber-solution
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
salmonbum
Banned
Rep

CR spotless Di-ionized water system. Less u touch the paint the better. I love this thing. Rinse and walk away.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
jrl
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbum View Post
CR spotless Di-ionized water system. Less u touch the paint the better. I love this thing. Rinse and walk away.
Do you have a sealant or something? No wax afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
salmonbum
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl View Post
Do you have a sealant or something? No wax afterwards?
The DI water system removes the minerals that cause the water spots. After the final rinse you can leave water right on car. When normal water is left on car and it evaporates, minerals are left on car causing the spots.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #16
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

for drying nothing beats the metro air force blaster 8 hp

add either of these drying towels and you will have a solid set up.
Adam's Great White Drying MF Towel
Uber Super Drying MF Towel

Also a good quick detail spray will assist you in the drying process

Kenotek Showroom Shine
Adam's Detail Spray
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:57 AM   #17
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
My Milwaukee cordless leaf blower is excellent at removing a majority of the water in my car after a wash

After that I use whatever microfiber towels I have around. Like the ones from Costco. I have a few newer nicer ones that I got as gifts but the Costco ones aren't bad.
Hell yeah, Cant beat Costco towels, 30 of them for 15 bucks lol. I use those towels as a sponge and I also use them to dry the car afterwards. I'd say I get about 10 washes put of the pack.
      05-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #18
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Hell yeah, Cant beat Costco towels, 30 of them for 15 bucks lol. I use those towels as a sponge and I also use them to dry the car afterwards. I'd say I get about 10 washes put of the pack.
Aside from the towels, I recently picked up a small shop blower at Costco for $30 CDN and will never, ever go back to towels only. This thing puts out 250 km/h winds and is small and light, it was a life-changing revelation haha.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #19
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Aside from the towels, I recently picked up a small shop blower at Costco for $30 CDN and will never, ever go back to towels only. This thing puts out 250 km/h winds and is small and light, it was a life-changing revelation haha.
Nice! I'l look for it next time I go to Costco.
      05-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I'd love to get a blower to dry...$30, wonder if Toronto has any...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
I'd love to get a blower to dry...$30, wonder if Toronto has any...
I think the brand is Bonaire or something like that. It's not fancy by any means but it's small, easy to use and gets the job done well.

EDIT: Here it is on Amazon.ca
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think the brand is Bonaire or something like that. It's not fancy by any means but it's small, easy to use and gets the job done well.

EDIT: Here it is on Amazon.ca
Nice! Thanks!
Appreciate 0