BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Whirring noise

04-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Whirring noise

I have about 400 miles on the car and notice a steady whirring sound continuously as I drive along. Its pretty faint, but wondering if its just the DCT or could be something else. It sounds like the noise a computer's fan makes. Gets slightly higher pitch the faster I drive. Does this sound at all out of the norm? Im guessing its the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrito_burrito_ View Post
I have about 400 miles on the car and notice a steady whirring sound continuously as I drive along. Its pretty faint, but wondering if its just the DCT or could be something else. It sounds like the noise a computer's fan makes. Gets slightly higher pitch the faster I drive. Does this sound at all out of the norm? Im guessing its the DCT.
Turbo noise?
      04-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Quote:
Turbo noise?
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep

I also figured it could be that. Seems more metallic though. Either way, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Probably driveshaft spinning under you.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I noticed this sound dramatically after installing an open style intake
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Any mods? With the window down and driving along any curb or barrier the slotted and drilled rotors will buffet. Sounds crazy but my m performance BBK is hella loud when I get on the brakes. Perhaps this is what you are hearing.
      04-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Most important question to ask is if you have any mods. If you do then maybe you can draw some conclusions from those parts to narrow down exactly what you are hearing.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep

No mods, completely stock. Just about 700 miles on it now. The more I drive, and notice it here and there, the more it sounds normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Smee.x.Again
Can't Wait
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 (Oct '16), Nissan GT-R

I have a metal-on-metal noise, coming from the rear axle, which I hear between 45 and 80. Below 45 its too faint to hear, above 80, all the tyre scrub and wind noise are too loud to hear it.

Its not a throbbing or vibration noise. Its not a wheel bearing noise, which I would classify vibration-like.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #11
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee.x.Again View Post
I have a metal-on-metal noise, coming from the rear axle, which I hear between 45 and 80. Below 45 its too faint to hear, above 80, all the tyre scrub and wind noise are too loud to hear it.

Its not a throbbing or vibration noise. Its not a wheel bearing noise, which I would classify vibration-like.
Yeah it sounds like a similar if not the same noise I have. Actually starting to like it. At this point Im fairly confident its normal and just part of the drivetrain. Its odd, but exciting, because thats what you get when you drive a race car right?!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Smee.x.Again
Can't Wait
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 (Oct '16), Nissan GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee.x.Again View Post

My noise increased in range slightly 40-85, took the BMW technician for a drive in it yesterday, he reckoned it wasnt right. BMW looking at it next week.
Appreciate 0