BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Short shifter

04-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
Pyjamarama
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Thumbs up Short shifter

Newbie from UK here!

I purchased my car in December 2016, manual in mineral grey. Nothing much to say but stunning. In my forty years of driving I've had some cars, a lot of cars including lots of classics and now this little beauty! Having previously owned an E46 M3 I knew that the experience and feel of the gear changing was going to be abysmal and true enough I was not surprised to find that the same performance of gear change was exactly the same on the M2..........rubbish. Lots of research, including on this site, brought me to UUC Motorwerks who then kindly redirected me to the UK distributor called CA Technologies. Deal was done for the purchase at a mere 440 of our lovely English pounds. I have to say that the product is one of precision engineering and the installer of the unit to my car commented as to the quality. He is well placed at making such positive comments in that he is a Rolls Royce trained engineer. His team took their time to install the short shifter which involved removing part of the exhaust, propshaft, heat shield etc. One thing that they did undertake when installing the unit was to "torque" all the screws which other installers would simply not do.That's the beauty of using a properly trained and genuinely qualified "old school" motor engineer!

After parting with the required monies for the labour for installation and then driving the car away for my trip home, I genuinely thought "this is noticeably excellent". The difference in gear change between the stock and the UUC short shifter is remarkable. The gear changes feel precise and obviously shorter whereas the stock original is all over the place and feels like a wooden spoon in treacle.

If I were to recommend one modification to the M2, then this would be it. We can all talk about lowering kits, replacement mirrors and so on, but trust me if you do one modification it has to be this, provided of course that your car is manual!
Appreciate 1
Destroya371.00
      04-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have the UUC short shifter as well and I think it is a major upgrade to the shifting experience. Stock was very rubbery. I don't really care about the shortened throw or the height. I left my UUC at the default max height. I care about precision of the shifter. And the sound it makes with the ball bearings is very satisfying

The install is a royal PITA. I had a trusted shop install it. Don't even think about it unless you have a lift.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
I have the UUC short shifter as well and I think it is a major upgrade to the shifting experience. Stock was very rubbery. I don't really care about the shortened throw or the height. I left my UUC at the default max height. I care about precision of the shifter. And the sound it makes with the ball bearings is very satisfying

The install is a royal PITA. I had a trusted shop install it. Don't even think about it unless you have a lift.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the install?

I've been interested in doing this as my next modification. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2tek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the install?

I've been interested in doing this as my next modification. Thanks.
I think it's safe to say a shop will charge 4 hours. Maybe a little more.
Appreciate 1
m2tek76.50
      04-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I concur. I added an Ultimate Clutch pedal to the experience along with the UUC unit, and now I'm a happy camper....
Appreciate 1
R0ME0518.50
      04-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

I'd love either the UCC clutch pedal or short shifter but having a hard time finding a place I'm confident will do a good job

Any suggestions for what I should be looking for?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

If you have basic tools and mechanical inclination, the clutch pedal is a pretty easy install as a DIY.
Appreciate 0