BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Are Individual colors available yet?

04-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #45
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Well, no. I refused delivery on the first one because the paint was so bad from the factory and the Ford dealer (who ironically has one of the best body shops in the area) had to repaint more than half the car before it could be sold to someone else. Since I'd ordered the car on the first day they could be ordered and then waited 9 months for it, Ford stepped up and got me a replacement vehicle in 3 months.

When the second car arrived, I accepted it because the paint was only about 10% garbage.
That is nuts. Not sure I've ever heard of anything like that. What exactly was wrong with the paint? Runs, extreme orange peel, uneven color?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #46
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

All those things and more - thick spots that flaked off, fingerprints in the putty around the rear window, paint so thin you could see the primer through it, brush marks, paint missing on the edges of adjoining panels, and on and on. Plus my favorite: "paint boogers" so thick they'd peel or fall off in clumps when you hand-washed the car. No car is perfect, but I'm guessing any one of these things would cause an M2 to fail the final inspection at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #47
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by zFrostyy View Post
The Austin Yellow one was $100,000 including the car to get it that colour.
Somehow I find the choice of Austin Yellow more disturbing than the $100k price tag.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #48
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Im off topic here, but do the GT350's have dealer markups? or is that the GT350r's?
They were marking up the regular GT350. They wanted $20,000 but I think it was sold for $15,000 over sticker. I forget the price but with the markup it was in the 85K range if I recall.

The dealer allotment was quite low for the first model year, but I understand the car is more available now.

I was interested in hearing about the transmission issues? That is a shame. I think the Mustang is a great looking car but would never pay OVER MSRP unless I had won the lottery! It's just insulting. It's a FORD! The one they had in the shop was Black on Black with all the features (not the r model). I offered MRSP on the spot and the salesman knew I could have easily just bought it, but the sales manager would not budge. The local lore is that the owner of the dealership needed the extra cash to buy some.......

One of my associates here has a GT350 but he has not even approached me for a race. The car's sound is amazing.LOL His prior Mustang Boss did not fair so well against my other car.

Mike

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
2M502.50
      09-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #49
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Interesting to run the VIN through a BMW VIN Decoder to find out what the BMW Individual treatment consisted of: Alpine White M-DCT M2 (IMHO he should have opted for the 6MT) that got a special treatment: exterior, brake calipers and side mirrors painted Austin Yellow, interior bits & pieces and stitching in CF and Atacama Yellow ...and to top it all of: a "specially made for Michael Fux" door sill mention !
I'm a bit late to the party, but you are not reading the buildsheet correctly. It says that the bodywork and door handles were painted in Austin Yellow. Other components, like bumpers, PDC, rear spoiler and roof antenna were painted white. Then those white parts were repainted Austin Yellow at BMW's bodyshop.

Anyway, here what an official complete repaint buildsheet looks like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #50
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
This is obviously hearsay, but another member was told that Individual isn't done on the M2 because the 2er in general is "not setup for customization" (on the production line).
I was told Exactly the same
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #51
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANBMWM View Post
I was told Exactly the same
It isn't the production line.The problem is that the paint shop isn't set up for individual painting.BMW is doing an expansion at the plant and they will be updating the paint shop,so maybe individual paint will eventually be available on cars built at the Leipzig plant.

Someone said in an earlier thread that the Austin Yellow M2 was shipped to another plant to be painted.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, but you are not reading the buildsheet correctly. It says that the bodywork and door handles were painted in Austin Yellow. Other components, like bumpers, PDC, rear spoiler and roof antenna were painted white. Then those white parts were repainted Austin Yellow at BMW's bodyshop.
Anyway, here what an official complete repaint buildsheet looks like.
On the one hand the build sheet does not mention the original color ("Special Paint - 490" is mentioned as "Color"). But, on the other hand, it states that it was definitely built at the BMW Leipzig factory. The car left the factory inevitably in one of the available M2 colors: AW, BSM, LBB or MG. To my knowledge, the Leipzig factory does not use Austin Yellow paint, not even to paint any M2 car part whatsoever.

The car was subsequently shipped to the "BMW Karo-Lackzentrum" for the repaint job and subsequently got customized elsewhere. Alpine White III (BMW paint code 300) is the only non-metallic color available for the M2. It's mentioned in the build sheet for this car. Hence, my assumption that the car originally left the Leipzig factory in AW.

Quote:
Alpine White (the only non-metallic M2 color) M-DCT M2 manufactured at the BMW Leipzig factory (Oct. 29, 2016) was shipped to Garching to get the Austin Yellow Metallic body (re)paint treatment at the "BMW Karo-Lackzentrum" (BMW Niederlassung München Karosserie- & Lackzentrum: http://bmw-partner.bmw.de/niederlass...ebersicht.html).
Subsequently, the car was sent to BMW M for all the other BMW Individual customization (brakes painted in Austin Yellow Metallic and interior stuffed with Atacama Yellow contrast stitching with some CF bits and a personalized door sill).
Name:  AY_M2_Individual_Page_1.jpg
Views: 4280
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  AY_M2_Individual_Page_4.jpg
Views: 3139
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  AY_M2_Individual_Page_5.jpg
Views: 3013
Size:  31.8 KB
Name:  AY_M2_Individual_Page_6.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  15.3 KB
      09-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #53
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On the one hand the build sheet does not mention the original color ("Special Paint - 490" is mentioned as "Color").
What do you mean it does not mention the original color? That is exactly how custom Indiviudal colors are marked on the buildsheets. It mentions the original color right under "0490 Sonderlackierung".

Compare it to the buildsheet of the complete repaint I posted above. On that buildsheet it shows the original color and then the color it was repainted into.

Quote:
But, on the other hand, it states that it was definitely built at the BMW Leipzig factory. The car left the factory inevitably in one of the available M2 colors: AW, BSM, LBB or MG.
I don't see where you got that from. It is clearly stated that the car body was painted in Austin Yellow
Yes, Austin Yellow is not available at Leipzig, but this is exactly why it cost 12k to paint it in Austin Yellow. If you remember, the Java Green 1Ms were also painted in Leipzig as there are photos of them being assembled there.

Quote:
The car was subsequently shipped to the "BMW Karo-Lackzentrum" for the repaint job and subsequently got customized elsewhere. Alpine White III (BMW paint code 300) is the only non-metallic color available for the M2. It's mentioned in the build sheet for this car. Hence, my assumption that the car originally left the Leipzig factory in AW.
Only the parts listed below that text were repainted from Alpine white. I don't speak German either, but it is painfully obvious even from the broken Google Translate translation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #54
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
On the one hand the build sheet does not mention the original color ("Special Paint - 490" is mentioned as "Color"). But, on the other hand, it states that it was definitely built at the BMW Leipzig factory. The car left the factory inevitably in one of the available M2 colors: AW, BSM, LBB or MG. To my knowledge, the Leipzig factory does not use Austin Yellow paint, not even to paint any M2 car part whatsoever.

Attachment 1692889

Attachment 1692890

Attachment 1692891
Attachment 1692892
If the car left Leipzig in AW and was a complete build then they would have had to disassemble it to paint it Austin Yellow. As much as I like this color, my favorite actually, I can't believe someone would want that done in that manner as there is too much room for error with some other possible ancillary problems occurring down the road. Plus, it would have probably cost even more. A wrap makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #55
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Quote:

Attachment 1692889

Attachment 1692890

Attachment 1692891
Attachment 1692892
If the car left Leipzig in AW and was a complete build then they would have had to disassemble it to paint it Austin Yellow. As much as I like this color, my favorite actually, I can't believe someone would want that done in that manner as there is too much room for error with some other possible ancillary problems occurring down the road. Plus, it would have probably cost even more. A wrap makes more sense.
Not if you’re insanely rich....u
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #56
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Austin Yellow is not available at Leipzig, but this is exactly why it cost 12k to paint it in Austin Yellow. If you remember, the Java Green 1Ms were also painted in Leipzig as there are photos of them being assembled there.
I remember that 2012 Java Green 1M. It's for sale since this year (€99K).

I rest my case. We weren't there when the M2 of Mr. Fux left the Leipzig factory. We do know that it's Austin Yellow now.

For the record: BMW paintworks are divided into two types:
  • SABI: SABI paintworks are available to order within the configurator and can be selected just like normal production paint finishes. Pricing is displayed there.
  • 490: Special request paintworks use the generic code 490. The specific colour code is then supposed to be filled into IVS. These exclusive paintworks require confirmation and pricing directly from the NSC.
      09-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #57
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I rest my case. We weren't there when the M2 of Mr. Fux left the Leipzig factory. We do know that it's Austin Yellow now.
We haven't physically seen the car either, so it could be a photoshop too or a figment of our imagination. Anyway, the build sheet explains exactly how the car was painted and I'm not sure why you choose to ignore the list under the Alpine White and the list under Austin Yellow, and the only thing you focus on are the words Alpine White.

Again, see my post with X6 M buildsheet that was repainted. Compare and contrast
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #58
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, the build sheet explains exactly how the car was painted and I'm not sure why you choose to ignore the list under the Alpine White and the list under Austin Yellow, and the only thing you focus on are the words Alpine White.
Again, see my post with X6 M buildsheet that was repainted. Compare and contrast
If it happened the way you explain (which could be correct), the car left the Leipzig factory last Autumn in a weird paint combination: all exterior body parts painted AW except for the body and door handles painted AY (+ the usual 9AA white protection tape). If the AY paint was available at factory, those exterior parts could have been painted AY over there as well (but true that those parts are painted separately).

Well, as long as Mr. Fux is happy, it's OK.

The Java Green 1M left the Leipzig factory in full W14/6 - not partially in one of the three 1M colors (AW, BSM or VO). FWIW, it was built on 20 June 2012 and featured a.o. the following:
  • Color: Sonderlackierung - 490
  • option code 321: Exterior Parts In Body Color (Exterieurumfaenge In Wagenfarbe)
  • option code 940: Special Request Equipment (Sonderwunsch Ausstattung)
      09-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #59
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If it happened the way you explain (which could be correct), the car left the Leipzig factory last Autumn in a weird paint combination: all exterior body parts painted AW except for the body and door handles painted AY (+ the usual 9AA white protection tape). If the AY paint was available at factory, those exterior parts could have been painted AY over there as well (but true that those parts are painted separately).

Well, as long as Mr. Fux is happy, it's OK.

The Java Green 1M left the Leipzig factory in full W14/6 - not partially in one of the three 1M colors (AW, BSM or VO). FWIW, it was built on 20 June 2012 and featured a.o. the following:
  • Color: Sonderlackierung - 490
  • option code 321: Exterior Parts In Body Color (Exterieurumfaenge In Wagenfarbe)
  • option code 940: Special Request Equipment (Sonderwunsch Ausstattung)

It very well could've left Leipzig in a weird color combination. It is also possible that the Apline White parts were never installed on the AY car and they were shipped to the BMW's bodyshop and only then the car was finished. I also have no idea what was the technical difficulty that prevented exterior parts to be painted at the factory or why those parts had to be painted AW at all. What I'm saying, that according to the buildsheet, the body was painted AY at the factory, trim parts were painted white and then repainted AY.

As for the Individual 1Ms, I have no idea. All of them got hidden Indiviudal data, but that photo tells me that the cars were painted at Leipzig.

Option code 321 is standard on E82 and E88. All it means is that door handles, roof trim and bumper trim are painted in body color. This was an option on E81 and E87.

The option 940 is automatically triggered when color code 490 or interior code 9990/Z1XX are used.
Appreciate 1
Artemis29356.50
      10-01-2017, 11:51 PM   #60
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Artemis I just heard back from Leipzig

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Yes, this was a very special order. The body was painted here in Leipzig and the thermoplastic trim parts have been painted by our BMW M colleagues in Munich.

A similar procedure has been used for the “Green Mamba”, the Java Green 1 Series M Coupe back in 2012, for this car we received the painted thermoplastic trim parts from our plant in Landshut.

Best Regards

Jochen
Appreciate 1
Artemis29356.50
      10-02-2017, 02:02 AM   #61
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Artemis I just heard back from Leipzig
Thank you. Confirms what I remembered in post #31.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #62
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
From around 2019/2020 onwards BMW Individual will be possible on cars made in Leipzig... Upgrades on the factory currently underway...

MR
Appreciate 0