BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 3 Months Review; A Young Person's take.

04-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #45
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Give the guy a break. He already has to deal with having to live in Edmonton.
I may be born and raised in hell but to me but it beats living in the centre of the universe
I don't see Edmonton being voted one of the most livable cities in the world. You're jealous it's ok I get it.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:46 AM   #46
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I genuinely have no idea what that ramble fest was. By the way is "gross" coming back as a term amongst the young? Never heard it in the context of a car other than when a drunk friend well....you know.

Like sooooo grosss dude like reallly??? Serioussssly!!!! Like come onnnn!!! This car is grossss!!! Ewwwww!!!
no I can confirm its not word that is 'coming back', however I must inquire if its commonplace for vocabulary to incite snideness among the elderly?
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #47
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
Excellent point about Porsche standard interior. I agree. However, Porsche has many upgrade options I wish were available on the M2. I also understand why BMW has not made similar options available for this particular vehicle.
And how much are those option including the car? Then compare that to the price of the M2. The you will get the original point.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #48
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
this guy gets it

while the review was a mixture of late night restlessness and taking the piss out of the car; the interior is my biggest gripe. But I was also tempted to play a bit of devil's advocate and stir up some discussion.

Anyways, many of you have commented that I may be looking for something more luxuries. But thats not the case. I'm upset because the interior is not sporty enough. I want to feel a bit stiff getting out of the car while I can. I would be 100% more happy with the base cloth seats from the M4 than the things stuck in there. Alcantara would be beautiful, one could dream for a Recaro BMW collab on this car. I myself am quite quirky where I want something either super plush and fancy (hence my adoration of the timeless E92), or very minimal and 'racey'. But that might the rashness of youth.

Thankfully the cars in high demand and someone else will likely enjoy the car at this point; i've found a nice euro spec E36 M3 which has more of the characteristics I want at this point in life. I'm still quite a few years away until I yearn for something C63esque.

I appreciate everyones read and input.
Millenial at full force.

Dude, you do know that M4 seats are compatible with the M2? Sell the M2 seat and buy the M4 ones, and call it a day. The seats on the M2 are fine, if not pay more and get the M4. There is a reason the M4 is more expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #49
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think in an ideal world, the M car is the road machine BMW has to produce, so they can go to the races. The thought of the car should take your mind daydreaming about speeding down rural German twistys on a cool day. And to me the M2 is in a weird purgatory between a byproduct of homologation and monotonous DD. Some of you may be quite content on the practicality scale but I yearn for the former. The glorious S54 & S65 felt uncompromised and made by true enthusiasts. The N55 simply doesn't match up. Sure the dynamics are there in the M2, but that is but a piece of the puzzle.
Sell the M2 and get the E46 M3, that may be the best M car ever built so far
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #50
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
I don't see Edmonton being voted one of the most livable cities in the world. You're jealous it's ok I get it.
Ah yes, congratulations on making a journalist's list. However I do pity a "car enthusiast" in the nation's most congested city.
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #51
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
You should buy an Audi.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #52
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Interior being not luxurious enough is really the reason why, isn't it?
These rich kids only love interiors and tech, don't they? That's why God made Audi cars.
Appreciate 3
BruceM984.50
Robin_NL8717.00
      04-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #53
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
I had a 2011 E92 M3 (purchased new) with extended leather and the leather carbon fiber trim. I like the M2 interior. I'm not sure why people bash it so much. My M3 had the same synthetic material on top of the dash. It had more leather and it was nappa leather versus Dakota leather but honestly the m2 interior is more than adequate.

Have you seen the Porsche standard interior? Not too much different from the m2 ....

Love my M2 ....
Excellent point about Porsche standard interior. I agree. However, Porsche has many upgrade options I wish were available on the M2. I also understand why BMW has not made similar options available for this particular vehicle.
The M2 is meant to be a throwback to the original m lineage. A drivers car. BMW intentionally wanted to keep the cost down and they certainly don't want to compete with the M3/4. If you want a car with more luxury on the interior then move up to the M3/4. I personally think the M2 is great. Just finished my 1200 mile service and have started to open things up a bit and it pulls like nothing I've ever driven before. The car overall is fantastic and a hoot to drive. At some point I will try and post my thoughts compares to my outgoing M3 but for $57,000 loaded it's cheaper than a base M3/4 and is absolutely fantastic!
      04-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #54
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
The M2 is meant to be a throwback to the original m lineage. A drivers car. BMW intentionally wanted to keep the cost down and they certainly don't want to compete with the M3/4. If you want a car with more luxury on the interior then move up to the M3/4. I personally think the M2 is great. Just finished my 1200 mile service and have started to open things up a bit and it pulls like nothing I've ever driven before. The car overall is fantastic and a hoot to drive. At some point I will try and post my thoughts compares to my outgoing M3 but for $57,000 loaded it's cheaper than a base M3/4 and is absolutely fantastic!
It's all market relative too - The M3/4 are much more expensive compared to the M2 here in Canada. For example:

M2 (base, but base includes every option except carplay) - C$63,500

M4 (equivalent specs to loaded M2) - C$92,000

That's nearly 45% more!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Try to find and drive a normal 80s street stock E30 M3 now and you will find;
-it looks great
-the feel is great and mechanical
-the steering is spot on
-great balance
-its chassis can handle >100hp more
-the interior is nothing special
-it does not have M mirrors
-it's not a fast car in any way
-it's an icon in any way don't get me wrong

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 4
DETRoadster11456.00
VR-Tech117.00
mWHO118.50
      04-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #56
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ah yes, congratulations on making a journalist's list. However I do pity a "car enthusiast" in the nation's most congested city.
So basically you pity anybody who's from a major metropolitan city. Brilliant. Cuz that's all we have.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #57
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Canadians battling each other. Stop it. Leave it to us Americans.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #58
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Canadians battling each other. Stop it. Leave it to us Americans.
Ya sorry for taking this thread off topic. In a couple of months I'll be able to give some legitimate feedback.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #59
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Is that SakhirM4 ? :
No. This is SakhirM4

Name:  glenn-m3.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  203.3 KB
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #60
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Quote:
It was a joke. I'm Canadian so I'm allowed to have a dig at him.
I'm Canadian too. My parents live in Toronto. Love that city.

Last edited by IS+1; 04-20-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kid Eh569.50
      04-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #61
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yup living in Toronto I can confirm the roads are congested and in awful shape. The roads outside the city are all straight country roads and very boring. It sucks to own a nice car here because there's nowhere enjoyable to drive it short of a track. I envy you Californians with your canyons BIGLY!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #62
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Yup living in Toronto I can confirm the roads are congested and in awful shape. The roads outside the city are all straight country roads and very boring. It sucks to own a nice car here because there's nowhere enjoyable to drive it short of a track. I envy you Californians with your canyons BIGLY!!
Move to Vancouver. BC-99/97 from Vancouver to Prince George is 500 miles of the best road I've ever seen!

Taking a road trip up there from Seattle to Whistler in the M2 in July.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #63
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If you want to better understand the OP, check out his top concerns from his previous posts.

Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #64
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I totally disagree. Guess you've never been out near the Niagara Escarpment or Caledon or a host of other places I can mention.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
The engine; its a great engine, but I expect more out of a car like this. Burger tuning has stated that its pretty much maxed out on 91 octane which is a very depressing thought. The ride; it feels artificially stiff. Tone it back a bit or please add EDC next time BMW.
[...] After the shininess has worn off, and the short lived grin of "i got the cool new rare one", the car feels cold and lifeless. It is not worth the financial sacrifice.
[...] And this is someone who despises that idea. "Wow you drive a BMW you must be successful." No you stupid pleb I like the car itself; its a wonderful piece of engineering not some petty social status to flex on your Instagram. But to hell with all of that, if i'm spending $50000 I want heart beating thrills not social status points for inferiority complexes. And I made the wrong choice at the dollars per smiles department
1 Year Review; A Fortysomething's Take.

At the end of next week I'll be pushing my car again over mountain passes in the Dolomites (Northern Italy). Looking forward to it.

Not for status, but because I like the car and enjoy that priceless alive 'n kicking experience of pulling G's through the S'es. The awesome action, the mighty machine, the swell setting and yearning you: being 'in the zone' of some personal automotive ecosystem, focused, during a brief escapade from busy everyday life and work. Allow yourself some soul vitamins from time to time.

Fear of stone chips during the stints ? Well, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. If the car could speak, it would giggle and cheer, and profoundly thank you for not getting a garage queen life sentence.

The M2 can be a joy provider if you're willing to allow it to shine its true colors. Open your mind.

mWHO118.50
      04-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #66
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

This was pretty much exactly how I felt about my E92 M3 and then even more so with the F80 I test drove. Absolutely lifeless and WTF is up with Active Sound? Gives me a headache. Anyone who says they can't tell its there is surely a fanboy.

I really don't know what else to get though. You want a small, turbo car with LSD, manual, RWD? Pretty much just the M2.

As for the "thrills per dollar" thing.. hate to break it to you but every car becomes boring that you own. Unless you rarely drive it, you get used to the way it drives and the way it delivers power.
mWHO118.50