BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Irish BMW M2

04-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Irish BMW M2

Hello all! I have posted this question in the UK section but it seems a little empty of members....... so here goes my repeat Q in the main M" section!

I just collected my (Nearly New) 2016 M2 and have done my first 300 mile round trip, Dublin - Fermanagh - Belfast and back to Dublin. It was a 305 mile trip and I used just about 10 imperial gallons, not too bad really.

Anyway I have a few questions......

1) What is the best option or should I say Bluetooth vs USB cable connection to my iPhone 7+. I have connected my iPhone using BT and I have no problems, well it is a little slow when I change the tracks of a playlist on Apple Music when I use the steering controls, what is everyone using?

2) How do I get the music (Radio or Media) to appear on the right hand side of the split screen (the smaller section) and keep the Sat Nav Map on the bigger left side?

3) Why is there no "Park Option" on the gear selector (yes I have the DTC box)?

4) When you end your trip and switch off the engine should you leave it in Drive or Reverse or Neutral?
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      04-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Welcome here (well already a member since 09) and congrats.

Oh you have a DCT box, so you're not a purist and/or from EU.... and you will be banned rightaway.

There is no 'P' sign, when it's in 'R' it puts itself in 'P', I had to get used to it too, but it's a great gearbox!

After a ride put it in 'R', not 'N'.

Cheers
Robin (M2 DCT!)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Welcome here (well already a member since 09) and congrats.

Oh you have a DCT box, so you're not a purist and/or from EU.... and you will be banned rightaway.

There is no 'P' sign, when it's in 'R' it puts itself in 'P', I had to get used to it too, but it's a great gearbox!

After a ride put it in 'R', not 'N'.

Cheers
Robin (M2 DCT!)
BMW really wants to remind you that it's a DCT not a regular automatic, so it has to work differently and confuse new drivers and/or friends/spouses. Is PDK the same way?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
BMW really wants to remind you that it's a DCT not a regular automatic, so it has to work differently and confuse new drivers and/or friends/spouses. Is PDK the same way?
PDK is faster(from hearsay but I believe them) and afaik PDK is a ZF manufactured box(?) and DCT is made by Getrag. Different manufacturers, both double clutch 7 speed boxes....
So I didn't answer your question sorry.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

To put the car in "P", simple turn off the car when it's in either R or D. Automatically puts it in park. Don't rely on "N" and your parking brake. Similar to manual in a sense. Leave it in gear.

As for the split screen, my PCD rep set it up for me - you need to navigate thru the display options to find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
M2222
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Only interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
No, the Porsche PDK has a genuine Park position. I find the BMW DCT configuration totally frustrating. It a bizarre set up. For example, you can't put the car in park while the engine is still running.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Thanks for the comments and replies folks..... Yes I had an E92 in 2009 but due to the really bad snow in 2010 I moved to Quattro... Audi TTS, Audi S3 and now I am back in the M2.

Here in Ireland we have a Road Car Tax which is based on the emissions..... M2 DCT = 750 euro per year & M2 Man = 1200 euro ;(

I have been leaving the car in D and just switching off the ignition, I was just hoping it was the right thing to do.

The main question was the iPhone and Cable vs BT.....

Still the car is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

What is best way to hand over to valet without stopping the engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
Hello all! I have posted this question in the UK section but it seems a little empty of members....... so here goes my repeat Q in the main M" section!

I just collected my (Nearly New) 2016 M2 and have done my first 300 mile round trip, Dublin - Fermanagh - Belfast and back to Dublin. It was a 305 mile trip and I used just about 10 imperial gallons, not too bad really.

1) What is the best option or should I say Bluetooth vs USB cable connection to my iPhone 7+. I have connected my iPhone using BT and I have no problems, well it is a little slow when I change the tracks of a playlist on Apple Music when I use the steering controls, what is everyone using?

2) How do I get the music (Radio or Media) to appear on the right hand side of the split screen (the smaller section) and keep the Sat Nav Map on the bigger left side?

4) When you end your trip and switch off the engine should you leave it in Drive or Reverse or Neutral?

For the Split screen aspect it's pretty easy depending if it's a '16/17
Now if yours is a 17 what you will do is this
Go to the Map page on your I-drive
Press option
Select Split screen
You will be returned back to the map screen with the default last used split screen page
to change what is displayed on the split screen
Swipe the controller over to the right hand side and press the large button down
and choose media/radio
and your done!
If you have any questions I can do a video for ya if you'd like to make it easier
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
N + handbrake. Same way I park my 6MT, unless it's on a steep incline or I have just been beating on the brakes and don't want to cook the rear pad to the disc. (I'm not sure how BMW's handbrake works, but on Audi/VW it just manually activates the rear calipers, so you don't want to use it when the brakes are still hot.)

You should always use the handbrake, even on conventional auto transmission cars. (Screw those stupid SUVs / etc with the foot-based parking brake)

the parking pawl that supports the weight of the entire car is a relatively tiny piece of metal in the transmission. It's always better to stop the car, put it into park while keeping a foot on the brake, engage parking brake, and then let off the foot brake. Keeps the parking pawl from having to hold the weight of the car on an incline.

Have you ever parked a conventional auto on a hill and then had to kind of fight to get it back into D or R? It's because the parking pawl is binding from all of the weight of the car sitting on it... bad juju.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Put the car in COMFORT mode and tell the valet: "I trust that you will take very good care of it. All speed and location data is automatically logged with this one."
      04-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #12
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
N + handbrake.
That's what I've been doing. Just wondering if there was indeed a better way. You just got to remember not to use the parking brake on hot rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #13
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
N + handbrake. Same way I park my 6MT, unless it's on a steep incline or I have just been beating on the brakes and don't want to cook the rear pad to the disc. (I'm not sure how BMW's handbrake works, but on Audi/VW it just manually activates the rear calipers, so you don't want to use it when the brakes are still hot.)

You should always use the handbrake, even on conventional auto transmission cars. (Screw those stupid SUVs / etc with the foot-based parking brake)

the parking pawl that supports the weight of the entire car is a relatively tiny piece of metal in the transmission. It's always better to stop the car, put it into park while keeping a foot on the brake, engage parking brake, and then let off the foot brake. Keeps the parking pawl from having to hold the weight of the car on an incline.

Have you ever parked a conventional auto on a hill and then had to kind of fight to get it back into D or R? It's because the parking pawl is binding from all of the weight of the car sitting on it... bad juju.
Handbrake is independent of the disc brakes, it's actually an old school drum brake that sits behind the hat of the rear rotors and uses brake shoes. BMW handbrakes have been this way for as long as I can remember.

Appreciate 2
ZPrime610.50
      04-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
My old Toyota was built like this ^^
I much prefer this for a handbrake, since it shouldn't suffer from the same problems that the VW/Audi style do.

TBH I think even the "separate caliper" style (Lambo?) is probably worse, because it's still clamping the edge of the hot rotor.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 02:00 AM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

I live in a flat country, handbrakes are used to initiate and make a turn

When it's freezing and you have your parked car on the handbrake it's actually very very difficult to get it unlocked. I Always put my 6MT cars into 1st gear when parked, I hardly ever used the handbrake in my M2.

I got this from experience, >20 years ago I was working in car sales, the cars for sale parked outside were NEVER on the handbrake, but in 1st gear.

But the OP's car has a DCT so no worries. P is enough when parked.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
brunodudo
Bruno Teixeira
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post

According with BMW M test engineer(Walter Haupt), you should put the car in N and hit the start/stop button 2x.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
PDK is faster(from hearsay but I believe them)
Being from both the BMW and Porsche worlds, I can tell you one thing that is universally true about Porsche guys: Anything and everything about their Porsches is somehow always better, faster, stronger and cooler than the BMW equivalent. When you pay the high Porsche prices, PAG throws in a dash of perceived superiority for the premium you pay.
So don't be so quick to believe the hype, try the cars out for yourself and make *your own* decision. I've owned and driven PDK and PDK-S Porsches and I find them equally boring (and no quicker) than DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #18
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
When it's freezing and you have your parked car on the handbrake it's actually very very difficult to get it unlocked. I Always put my 6MT cars into 1st gear when parked, I hardly ever used the handbrake in my M2.
We occasionally get weather below -20C here and I've never had a problem... But I also don't leave the car parked like that in ice and snow for more than "work day" typically.

Manufacturers do perform special sub-zero testing for this sort of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Being from both the BMW and Porsche worlds, I can tell you one thing that is universally true about Porsche guys: Anything and everything about their Porsches is somehow always better, faster, stronger and cooler than the BMW equivalent. When you pay the high Porsche prices, PAG throws in a dash of perceived superiority for the premium you pay.
So don't be so quick to believe the hype, try the cars out for yourself and make *your own* decision. I've owned and driven PDK and PDK-S Porsches and I find them equally boring (and no quicker) than DCT.
There are multiple revisions of PDK also. I drove a first gen Panamera Turbo PDK and it was slower than a ZF8 in manual mode in terms of responsiveness. I am sure the new ones are greatly improved.
Appreciate 0