BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run Flat repair

04-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Run Flat repair

Hi all. I just picked up my M2 and it has about 300 miles. I already got a nail in the front passenger tire. The dealer told me it needs to be replaced. Discount tire says it can be repaired if it's on the tread, which it is. Michellin run flats are the only tire brand that can be repaired vs like continental, pirelli run flats per the discount tire store. Is this true? I'm sure replacing is always better for track use, but this is just a daily driver. It won't see the track within the first set of these tires tread life.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Ceeto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 & 2024 G87(soon)

Kind of irrelevant since your tires are not run-flat (assuming you have the stock PSS since you only have 300 miles)

That said, I've had Continental and Pirelli run flats patched (if damage is on tread and not sidewall) with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBimmer View Post
Hi all. I just picked up my M2 and it has about 300 miles. I already got a nail in the front passenger tire. The dealer told me it needs to be replaced. Discount tire says it can be repaired if it's on the tread, which it is. Michellin run flats are the only tire brand that can be repaired vs like continental, pirelli run flats per the discount tire store. Is this true? I'm sure replacing is always better for track use, but this is just a daily driver. It won't see the track within the first set of these tires tread life.
It can be repaired in the tread face given the nail is not within roughly 1" of the edges of the tread and the nail is within a certain diameter (as a proper repair requires a skive out). Also, depending on the angle at which the nail went in can sometimes require too large of a skive out. If repairable, make sure they plug and patch.

And as Ceeto said, Run flats can be repaired - same criteria as non run flats.

And I won't risk tracking the car with a repair, especially on the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I had my rear driver MPSS patched in the fall and have had no issues with it.
Appreciate 0