08-03-2016, 02:40 AM   #221
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac128ic
Do you guys see hold in allocations due to this issue?
Yup!
My production date has been delayed by 3-4 weeks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:54 AM   #222
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
Yup!
My production date has been delayed by 3-4 weeks
Mine went into production last week and is scheduled to be finished today.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #223
winterrogue_F87
Queen of Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW 228xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Part of my longer post on the Canadian Deliveries thread follows below. Even more bad news.

The rear diffs made it to port in NJ and over 80% of the parts have been found to be damaged and/or with poor gear interlocking - the same issue in the current differentials, so basically the supplier gave them the same shitty parts again.

My car which was due to be ready this week no longer has a date for delivery. The next batch of parts is being air freighted to the Toronto warehouse, with a delivery date of this Friday (Aug. 5th).

From that point, each diff is now going to be inspected before being sent out to dealers. The earliest ETA's for any cars at the moment are the following Friday (Aug. 12th).

Oh and our local M4 GTS has shown up this week with same issues, and the M4 GTS's are going to be made part of the recall pretty soon.
The seeds of doubt are being sown...

Is it feasible the fixed/replaced diffs on cars released might have been replaced with defective parts ?
A few of my friends that have already taken delivery of their M3s now have the stop delivery on their cars.
      08-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #224
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Im thankful that at this stage there is no mention of cars being effected prior to the cars built in the given date range, however what are the chances of them recalling our cars which were built before May 12th once they've sorted all the non delivered cars?

I am affected by the recall. Confirmed with my dealer. I am on the list. Build date May 30. I have my car.

With an M2 built before 5/12 any random diff noise might make me wonder if a bum diff is in my car! Hopefully BMW will be more transparent as to what has happened.

Initially I was kind of pissed that the rear diff would need to be swapped by the dealer as opposed to the VPC. I kind of still would prefer VPC doing the swap. So I will probably not get a diff until all the hold vehicles at the ports get theirs!

However I guess if there is any consolation at least I will get a replacement diff, probably later rather than sooner, and that will hopefully by then it will be a proper QC cleared diff and I will not have issues going forward. Then again it is a technology laden piece of hardware!

BMW has not inspired much confidence with this episode at all!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #225
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I wonder what will happen with my car. I've been told repeatedly both by my SA and BMW Genius that my car (MY17) which finished production on July 25 is not affected by the differential recall. I am scheduled for Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina on September 23 and have not yet been told it will be delayed...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #226
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick
I wonder what will happen with my car. I've been told repeatedly both by my SA and BMW Genius that my car (MY17) which finished production on July 25 is not affected by the differential recall. I am scheduled for Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina on September 23 and have not yet been told it will be delayed...
Don't worry, much like everyone else, you'll find out once you book your tickets and show up at the PC.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #227
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Part of my longer post on the Canadian Deliveries thread follows below. Even more bad news.

The rear diffs made it to port in NJ and over 80% of the parts have been found to be damaged and/or with poor gear interlocking - the same issue in the current differentials, so basically the supplier gave them the same shitty parts again.

My car which was due to be ready this week no longer has a date for delivery. The next batch of parts is being air freighted to the Toronto warehouse, with a delivery date of this Friday (Aug. 5th).

From that point, each diff is now going to be inspected before being sent out to dealers. The earliest ETA's for any cars at the moment are the following Friday (Aug. 12th).

Oh and our local M4 GTS has shown up this week with same issues, and the M4 GTS's are going to be made part of the recall pretty soon.
The seeds of doubt are being sown...

Is it feasible the fixed/replaced diffs on cars released might have been replaced with defective parts ?
A few of my friends that have already taken delivery of their M3s now have the stop delivery on their cars.
The hole is much, much, deeper than BMW is letting on.

For example, they claimed 202 cars in North America, that number is up to 1,200+ now.

Worldwide you don't even want to know...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #228
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppucci
I am affected by the recall. Confirmed with my dealer. I am on the list. Build date May 30. I have my car.

With an M2 built before 5/12 any random diff noise might make me wonder if a bum diff is in my car! Hopefully BMW will be more transparent as to what has happened.

Initially I was kind of pissed that the rear diff would need to be swapped by the dealer as opposed to the VPC. I kind of still would prefer VPC doing the swap. So I will probably not get a diff until all the hold vehicles at the ports get theirs!

However I guess if there is any consolation at least I will get a replacement diff, probably later rather than sooner, and that will hopefully by then it will be a proper QC cleared diff and I will not have issues going forward. Then again it is a technology laden piece of hardware!

Hehe. I'm not sure what to hope for. My car falls right in there (May 18 - although vin is earlier than all other V series). I am told I'm good each time the list has updated. I'm going to wonder though...
      08-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #229
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:

Hehe. I'm not sure what to hope for. My car falls right in there (May 18 - although vin is earlier than all other V series). I am told I'm good each time the list has updated. I'm going to wonder though...
Same here. Mine was built in February though.
      08-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #230
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Im thankful that at this stage there is no mention of cars being effected prior to the cars built in the given date range, however what are the chances of them recalling our cars which were built before May 12th once they've sorted all the non delivered cars?

How can BMW inspire confidence in you when a supplier sends them a failed part ?? In truth, it seems like they held many parts, got new parts that were alleged to be good , and then the new parts *also* were bad. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in that supplier... Do you ? So how are they to inspire confidence in *you* when they don't have any confidence in the part ?

There is absolutely no reason to get all down in the mouth about BMW. By your account, I guess every person should be upset at any manufacturer that used a Takata airbag too ?
Appreciate 4
jtodd_fl6703.50
gthal1904.00
      08-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #231
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
How can BMW inspire confidence in you when a supplier sends them a failed part ?? In truth, it seems like they held many parts, got new parts that were alleged to be good , and then the new parts *also* were bad. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in that supplier... Do you ? So how are they to inspire confidence in *you* when they don't have any confidence in the part ?

There is absolutely no reason to get all down in the mouth about BMW. By your account, I guess every person should be upset at any manufacturer that used a Takata airbag too ?
I could be wrong, but I think reppucci 's comment is that the lack of being very open about it is what is not inspiring confidence. For example, given that a batch of parts contained some bad and some good, how can we know which ones before were bad or good, unless every one was inspected - which clearly they were not, since bad ones got out.

So, the confidence would come from knowing that there is a definitive way to know that the ones "in the field" are indeed good. For example, something like "We had known issues with a supplier of a certain part in which some differentials were fabricated out of spec or used a sub-component out of spec based on where they were manufactured or on which line or which shift or using which Tier 2 supplier parts, etc. We know, based on lot codes, which ones were defective, so have recalled all of those." IN one way, the fact they found more bad ones in the new lot actually gives me more confidence. Clearly they stepped up the QC inspection.

I would just like to know how or why they know which existing ones are good vs bad. Presumably, whatever it was that they used to determine bad ones already made would not have been repeated, so how did more bad ones get made? And, however the MORE bad ones got made, is that how the the ones previously presumed to "non-bad" got made? In THAT way, it is a little less confidence-inspiring.
      08-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #232
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think reppucci 's comment is that the lack of being very open about it is what is not inspiring confidence. For example, given that a batch of parts contained some bad and some good, how can we know which ones before were bad or good, unless every one was inspected - which clearly they were not, since bad ones got out.

So, the confidence would come from knowing that there is a definitive way to know that the ones "in the field" are indeed good. For example, something like "We had known issues with a supplier of a certain part in which some differentials were fabricated out of spec or used a sub-component out of spec based on where they were manufactured or on which line or which shift or using which Tier 2 supplier parts, etc. We know, based on lot codes, which ones were defective, so have recalled all of those." IN one way, the fact they found more bad ones in the new lot actually gives me more confidence. Clearly they stepped up the QC inspection.

I would just like to know how or why they know which existing ones are good vs bad. Presumably, whatever it was that they used to determine bad ones already made would not have been repeated, so how did more bad ones get made? And, however the MORE bad ones got made, is that how the the ones previously presumed to "non-bad" got made? In THAT way, it is a little less confidence-inspiring.
I guess you folks just don't have enough experience with the auto parts business.

This stuff happens all the time.

When I had an E30 M3, there were a ton of bad LASO water pumps. They were an OE supplier. The water pumps that were bad leaked * immediately * upon installation. For about 7 months, people kept finding these bad parts as they were so far into distribution. Some people got multiple bad pumps because the next one on the shelf also was bad.

I've seen bad turbos for subarus, bad window switches for GMs, bad headlamps for Ford. We've all seen bad airbags now.

It's a fair likelihood that the original vendor didn't acknowledge how many bad parts there were to BMW in the first place. Since the parts are delivered in a just in time format, it simply only makes sense that there likely are some vehicles that are in the wild that are affected and will have to come back.

You would like to know which parts are good and bad ?

I bet BMW would like to know which parts are good and bad !

As far as knowing for sure which parts are good and bad, I suppose only the original vendor has the ability to even determine that. As mentioned already , more than likely it was a failure of a part that alerted anyone to the manufacturing error, and parts already down the line are already .. Down the line !

I'm not sure why it seems you are concluding that BMW immediately knew the depth of the problem ?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #233
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
I guess you folks just don't have enough experience with the auto parts business.

When I had an E30 M3, there were a ton of bad LASO water pumps. They were an OE supplier. The water pumps that were bad leaked * immediately * upon installation. For about 7 months, people kept finding these bad parts as they were so far into distribution. Some people got multiple bad pumps because the next one on the shelf also was bad.

I've seen bad turbos for subarus, bad window switches for GMs, bad headlamps for Ford. We've all seen bad airbags now.

It's a fair likelihood that the original vendor didn't acknowledge how many bad parts there were to BMW in the first place. Since the parts are delivered in a just in time format, it simply only makes sense that there likely are some vehicles that are in the wild that are affected and will have to come back.

As far as knowing for sure which parts are good and bad, I suppose only the original vendor has the ability to even determine that. As mentioned already , more than likely it was a failure of a part that alerted anyone to the manufacturing error, and parts already down the line are already .. Down the line !

I'm not sure why it seems you are concluding that BMW immediately knew the depth of the problem ?
Hehe. Sold into Tier 2 and the OEMs for twenty years. That's why I would like an honest reckoning of how they know. I am sure they didn't know right away. I just want to fee comfortable how they are isolating it.
      08-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #234
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
Correct, latest report is only builds through July 4.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #235
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:

All of the above is fair and to expand on my "confidence" issue... yes there is an identified problem with the diffs, possibly from the supplier... however no one, to my knowledge, including BMW has stated what exactly is the problem.....

i.e. is it a faulty clutch, bad servoelectronics a, excessive noise/friction, back lash maladjustment, an employee error (forgot to torque an internal part to spec), improper fluid fill .. etc which prompted them to do this. They must have something which alerted them to this either from the supplier or recognized on the line or post delivery.

... we all know why the airbags are being recalled...

All we know here is that BMW stops delivery and wants to replace the diff.

So we all wonder what is the issue with these diffs? No one has really had a problem on the road, maybe the "screechy pebble in wheel cover" noise? How easy is it for BMW to identify the bad diffs? maybe easily, maybe not!

Certainly at some point they will have this corrected but it would be nice for them to say the problem is a, b, or c and this is what we are doing about it! Keeping everyone, including the dealers, in the dark is not ideal. Until then this lack of information is what creates speculation and I would guess even "unaffected" M2 owners may wonder about their diff. That is where the "confidence" issue comes up.

I assume I will get a new diff, whether I truly need it or not, and by then I am confident BMW will make sure the diff I get will be proper. So for that I am grateful!
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #236
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post

^^^^THIS^^^ I think is very fair and spot on! (missed this when I replied above!)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #237
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

All of the above is fair and to expand on my "confidence" issue... yes there is an identified problem with the diffs, possibly from the supplier... however no one, to my knowledge, including BMW has stated what exactly is the problem.....

i.e. is it a faulty clutch, bad servoelectronics a, excessive noise/friction, back lash maladjustment, an employee error (forgot to torque an internal part to spec), improper fluid fill .. etc which prompted them to do this. They must have something which alerted them to this either from the supplier or recognized on the line or post delivery.

... we all know why the airbags are being recalled...

All we know here is that BMW stops delivery and wants to replace the diff.

So we all wonder what is the issue with these diffs? No one has really had a problem on the road, maybe the "screechy pebble in wheel cover" noise? How easy is it for BMW to identify the bad diffs? maybe easily, maybe not!

Certainly at some point they will have this corrected but it would be nice for them to say the problem is a, b, or c and this is what we are doing about it! Keeping everyone, including the dealers, in the dark is not ideal. Until then this lack of information is what creates speculation and I would guess even "unaffected" M2 owners may wonder about their diff. That is where the "confidence" issue comes up.

I assume I will get a new diff, whether I truly need it or not, and by then I am confident BMW will make sure the diff I get will be proper. So for that I am grateful!
Gotcha.

it's not the " screechy pebble in the rotor issue"

That's a known issue since the E9X M3 and also on the 1M. Definitely annoying .. But somewhat easily resolved either by reversing and stomping on the brakes or by manually lifting up the deflector/backing plate on the rotor to free the pebble (caution- floor jack and removing the wheel and tire may be required)
Appreciate 2
reppucci339.50
      08-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #238
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Knowing some M2s produced in May were affected made me check again with my dealer to see if there was something new.
Mine was produced 20th May and I am not in the list for the recall.
Makes me happy at one point but seeing there is a new part number for the diff makes me wonder what changed on this part and if I would ever have any issues related with this.

As others said, even unaffected owners are now concerned. I am indeed.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #239
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Just spoke to a contact I have through my company at BMWNA. He told me he expects 4-6 weeks for my car which is scheduled to hit the VPC in Oxnard on Friday. He's working to get my VIN on a priority list but just wanted to give people a possible timeline who are in similar situations.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #240
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoM View Post
Knowing some M2s produced in May were affected made me check again with my dealer to see if there was something new.
Mine was produced 20th May and I am not in the list for the recall.
Makes me happy at one point but seeing there is a new part number for the diff makes me wonder what changed on this part and if I would ever have any issues related with this.

As others said, even unaffected owners are now concerned. I am indeed.

I suspect you may be, or will eventually be, on the list. Even my dealer service consultant had no idea by VIN number and initially said no. Took him two days to confirm with BMWNA and that was solely by production build date.

While he did confirm I would eventually hear from them and that the dealer would do my swap beyond that he was quite wishy washy. Very obvious he has no idea what was going on.

Starts telling me about how a rear LSD diff works .... duh!!! I reminded him we were talking about an Active M Diff. He stopped talking.

This is one of the reasons I would be more happy if the VPC would replace my diff and I told him that! I even offered to drive it to Newark (New York Port location of VPC) myself!

So don't be surprised if you end up on the list. I am not sure BMW has published a list. (I do have a database of ALL M2's with production dates through July 4, 2016). You may want to push the dealer a bit!
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #241
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppucci View Post
I suspect you may be, or will eventually be, on the list. Even my dealer service consultant had no idea by VIN number and initially said no. Took him two days to confirm with BMWNA and that was solely by production build date.

While he did confirm I would eventually hear from them and that the dealer would do my swap beyond that he was quite wishy washy. Very obvious he has no idea what was going on.

Starts telling me about how a rear LSD diff works .... duh!!! I reminded him we were talking about an Active M Diff. He stopped talking.

This is one of the reasons I would be more happy if the VPC would replace my diff and I told him that! I even offered to drive it to Newark (New York Port location of VPC) myself!

So don't be surprised if you end up on the list. I am not sure BMW has published a list. (I do have a database of ALL M2's with production dates through July 4, 2016). You may want to push the dealer a bit!
Thanks mate. Checked three times at this point (last one yesterday), and my dealer even sent me the internal screen shot of my car showing no campaign pending on my car. But again, I dont fee free of the issue myself...which is not good at all.

Same old story. Every M car I've owned (3 now...) had an issue like this...
      08-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #242
boohorlicks
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
This is pretty simple.

You paid for - transportation
Your loaner car - transportation

Your car payment exists because you didn't pay for the car in full ( most of us don't of course ) and so nothing changes with that. That's a personal situation that has nothing to do with the fact that your car isn't running currently other than it is an annoyance.

In the sales contract there is consideration for when the vehicle has an issue " Through no fault of your own ". It's called your warranty.

If you were provided a loaner vehicle, then the vehicle that you are paying for is not gaining any mileage while this repair is being done and you are putting mileage and wear and tear on that vehicle and not your own.

There is no other consideration in the sales contract other than a warranty, so I'm not sure why you would expect any other compensation ?

What were you expecting ? A free watch? A free iPad ? A couple of hundies in the ash tray?

Keep in mind that BMW makes the vehicle but they don't make every part.. Airbags, fuel pumps, control arms, diffs, etc. When a supplier makes a part and it doesn't work properly, BMW will have to go back to the supplier that failed them. They will get replacement parts and possibly ( but not necessarily) payment for the labor they have involved but i very much doubt that BMW is being compensated for their not being able to sell vehicles.
Yes, it is quite simple. It's not about a courtesy car or the mileage on my own car but more that I have a product that is defective in some form or another.

Yes BMW are fixing it under warranty and no doubt they will pass that cost on to their supplier (who wouldn't?!) but as a customer, whether loyal and long-standing or not, some sort of compensation or gesture of goodwill would go a long way.

I am not suggesting an iPad or a watch by any means, that is not sensible. A small token like £50 off the next service is small but goes a long way in boosting confidence, especially when you've waited years for a car. I don't see how that is unreasonable. Those of us affected haven't just bought a pack of peanuts so a gesture of goodwill is, in my opinion, appropriate.

Despite the above, I'd take a couple of "hundies" any day of the week but I don't have an ash tray
2012 F21 M135i | Estoril Blue | 8AT
2008 E92 M3 | Azurite Black | DCT |
Appreciate 0