BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > After break-in period, feeling a bit disappointed

10-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #67
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I had the exact same impression. It was fast and smooth but nothing to write home about. For $1500 I completely transformed the car into exactly what I wanted it to sound and perform like. It puts a smile on my face every item I drive it now. It also scares me just a little bit from time to time. Perfection.

Here's my recipe and what I'd recommend to you:

1) Fabspeed Catted DP
2) Dinan Sport Tuner on Sport+ mode
3) Set M2 comfort/sport/sport+ button to sport+ mode

How much power does the sport tuner add by itself and how safe is it for the M2? My impression was that it wasn't tuned specifically for this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #68
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Will look into that! The stock acceleration is plenty fast for me though. My modding days are over (famous last words, I know haha).
They don't require a tune and won't set off a check engine light and you will pass emissions. No warranty voided. All it does is reduce back pressure, which adds noise and horsepower and reduces lag. It's a win win dude. You cannot go wrong. If you do just one mod to your car, this is the one to do. Only downside is they are a but pricey at ~$1000ish but trust me they are worth every penny. Fabspeed makes a quality one. I own it and love it.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 10-19-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #69
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
They don't require a tune and won't set off a check engine light and you will pass emissions. No warranty voided. All it does is reduce back pressure, which adds noise and horsepower and reduces lag. It's a win win dude. You cannot go wrong. If you do just one mod to your car, this is the one to do. Only downside is they are a but pricey at ~$1000ish but trust me they are worth every penny.
I don't think there is a downpipe that is legal in California as it will fail the visual inspection. They may fail to see that it's modified however, and then it might pass smog.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...mo&sh=fb393a8a
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #70
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I reached 1200+ miles yesterday and today I decided to go 100% throttle for the first time since owning my MT 2018 M2. I honestly expected the rear wheels to spin with the traction control off in first and/or second gear (I have the Conti's), but was disappointed on a dry, sunny, 70 degree day. Anyone care to share their experience with the first time(s) you went 100% throttle? Is my disappointing experience unique?
Spinning the wheels in Australia will see your car impounded under anti-hoon laws. plus some cash and points on your licence
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #71
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I don't think there is a downpipe that is legal in California as it will fail the visual inspection. They may fail to see that it's modified however, and then it might pass smog.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...mo&sh=fb393a8a
I'm pretty sure It's illegal to modify your stock catalytic converter in any state.

But how would they be able to tell if it's been modified even if they did a visual inspection? There's still a catalytic converter on the down pipe. It's just internally different since it has a lower cell count then the factory cat. There's no way in hell anyone working at a DMV would be competent enough to know the difference. What are they gonna do? Break open the welds and take it apart? If they see a cat is there and it passes smog (which it will) you're getting a pass. It's a non issue as far as i'm concerned.

Unless there's some crazy inspection process you guys do in California that i'm not aware of, i don't foresee you having any problems.

Maybe a California forum member on here could give you more insight.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 10-19-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #72
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I'm pretty sure It's illegal to modify your stock catalytic converter in any state.

But how would they be able to tell if it's been modified even if they did a visual inspection? There's still a catalytic converter on the down pipe. It's just internally different since it has a lower cell count then the factory cat. There's no way in hell anyone working at a DMV would be competent enough to know the difference. What are they gonna do? Break open the welds and take it apart? If they see a cat is there and it passes smog (which it will) you're getting a pass. It's a non issue as far as i'm concerned.

Unless there's some crazy inspection process you guys do in California that i'm not aware of, i don't foresee you having any problems.

The good news is new cars don't have to go in to get tested for 6 years, so you would have 6 years to figure out your smog strategy no matter what you did.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #73
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The good news is new cars don't have to go in to get tested for 6 years, so you would have 6 years to figure out your smog strategy no matter what you did.
Worst case scenario you could just swap it back to the stock cat for the test and then change it back once you leave.

You've got 6 years worry free. Go have some fun
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2017, 01:58 AM   #74
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

a visual inspection....i may be wrong but i dont think theyre going to remove the plastic and metal belly pan to check out a downpipe. just make sure that cat is all nice and warm before going to the inspection place. thatll be my strategy in 6 years with my wagner catted dp
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #75
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Back to the OPs question....

My 1M spins the tires much easier than the M2 - but that doesn't mean it is quicker. The M2 just so happens to hook up really nice and has much newer tires - still the 1M will kick the rear out on a nice hard shift into 2nd (love it - and yes, that's with M mode on).

I am also not a fan of this whole "OMG, don't go over 5,500 RPM cause the "engineers" have determined that could cause the world to end." So it wasn't as if I hit 1,200 miles and expected something to magically happen - in short, the car has felt fast from day#1 and even today when I get on it, I'm amazed at how quick it is - and once again, I think that is because it is very well designed to put the power down nicely.
Appreciate 3
M2guru383.50
omasou2089.00
reppucci339.50
      10-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #76
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
As the OP, I want to reiterate that my interest is not so much in being "able" to spin the tires, but rather I thought I would have to manage the throttle more which left me feeling disappointed in the power.

Most things are relative (cars included) and which car I am coming from factored into my perception of the M2. Others who have different experiences (and preferences) will likely form different perceptions/opinions.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this car! But, I will still be looking for a little more power!

Thanks for talking this through with me everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #77
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

It won’t pass CARB, but there’s still shops here that can pass you with a nudge and wink. And like mentioned, smog won’t be for 6 years.

The power isn’t a problem, I was just commenting to say I thought it would be more. Aside from track days, I don’t need that extra hp. Car is fast to 60mph, what else do we really need?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #78
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Don't worry in about 5K the rear will have worn down enough they'll start to slip.
Yup. That plus a couple of track days and the tires will be DONE in 7k miles. Gotta love it.
Attached Images

10-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #79
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
The power isn’t a problem, I was just commenting to say I thought it would be more. Aside from track days, I don’t need that extra hp. Car is fast to 60mph, what else do we really need?
Faster...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #80
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
not for much longer...

PITIFUL? Seriously? Sorry for your first world problems of being butthurt by not getting the 5 year old design michelins.. but that's a serious exaggeration. COOPER TIRES.. or GENERAL RADIALS.. now those would be pitiful..
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hang on there. My wife has a set of General snow tires and they were actually, surprisingly, pretty good.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #81
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
DET, I posted something similar on the 370Z forum. The M2 is definitely the better faster car and for the price difference, it better be. However for the price point, the Z is still a great bang for the buck.
I didnt know you had a 370, Aloha. Nice! What color did you have? Mine was Monterey Blue. I had an Ark Grip2 exhaust on it and OMFG the sound of that car was simply intoxicating. I miss that rumble to this day. That and proper engine braking. Aside from that the M2 is superior.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #82
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
How much power does the sport tuner add by itself and how safe is it for the M2? My impression was that it wasn't tuned specifically for this car.
Dinan claims up to 30. Is it safe? Not as safe as leaving your car completely stock. But then again leaving your car in the garage is far safer than taking it out on the road, so....

I keep mine set to Sport + as I've heard that the race mode gets a little sketchy. A little too close to the edge of what the turbo can handle. Also, I only use it to sprint around town. If I was going to track the car I'd probably remove the sport tuner just out of caution. I dont see myself blowing up my engine doing the occasional hard pull away from a stop light, but pushing the car to the limits on the track, on a hot day, with the sport tuner might be asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #83
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

This is interesting.

As Doug999 experienced, my 1M will spin up the rears in the dry by just rolling firmly on second gear even without M sport button on. It’s still on the original PS2’s and has done this from day one, in fact the demo car did this and it’s what sold me on it. Honest old school spikiness and loved it. I’m not a hoon but I love a fun car that’s a bit raw and nasty.

First gear without TC on is wheel spin city without any clutch dumping. I do recall the M2 I drove felt ‘nice’ in comparison. The E92 did also and both of these are faster than the 1M, so it must simply be delivery and a sorted rear end. If I wanted to compete in a car I’d use one of those two.

But as the OP stated, I too feel underwhelmed when a car doesn’t seem to be able to get angry and bite me if I get throttle happy.

The car is fast no question, but interesting feedback from everyone.
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      10-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #84
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I didnt know you had a 370, Aloha. Nice! What color did you have? Mine was Monterey Blue. I had an Ark Grip2 exhaust on it and OMFG the sound of that car was simply intoxicating. I miss that rumble to this day. That and proper engine braking. Aside from that the M2 is superior.
Love that Monterey Blue, Gun Metallic Grey here and totally agree on all points. Just an axel back on mine but that VQ sound after getting rid of the stock muffler, was an engine symphony

RJM clutch pedal and MPSS tires made this Z a great DD and fun Hawaii mountain climber

Name:  Exhaust Smaller.png
Views: 962
Size:  1.73 MB
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      10-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #85
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
Did you do your break-in maintenance yet? According to my CA, the break-in maintenance also involves a software update on the engine, which results in +50HP.
Your CA is wrong
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:29 AM   #86
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Quote:
Did you do your break-in maintenance yet? According to my CA, the break-in maintenance also involves a software update on the engine, which results in +50HP.
Your CA is wrong
He clarified. He said that's what happens on the m3/4 according to his tech. So he assumes something similar happens to the m2. Maybe not 50hp tho
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #87
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Balanced weight distribution = less tire spin than front-heavy cars

This car is plenty fast. I have no problem spinning the rear wheels, and no, I don't have to dump the clutch to achieve it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #88
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Quote:
Your CA is wrong
He clarified. He said that's what happens on the m3/4 according to his tech. So he assumes something similar happens to the m2. Maybe not 50hp tho
Doesn't happen there either.
Appreciate 0