M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MCS Stroke length

11-14-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

MCS Stroke length

After a few months with my MCS2wnr (divorced set up w/o helpers) coils I have noticed that the car will now rub in the rear in circumstances that would have been fine on oem/ohlins suspension. Does anyone know what the stroke length for the rear struts are/have a bumpstop solution? I am rubbing on the top of the fender liner (tire tread contacts the fender liner) so i don't think adding more camber would create any clearance/solve that issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:10 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The easiest way is to see what your rear wheel travel distance is before it starts to rub (can be done with car on the ground). From there you can use the motion ratio (.76) of the rear damper to calculate how much it compresses when you rub.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #3
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

So many variables but on face value it would suggest that the MCS setup has more usable travel than the oem or Ohlin’s. In my opinion this is a good thing and ideally you should be remediating the clearance issue by investigating if there are ways to heat shape the liner or potentially look at ride height, tire width or wheel offset. All due respect it is a loaded question as the stroke only plays into a part of the calculation. The comparison between oem. Ohlins and MCS is like apples to oranges.

My understanding that the MCS dampers don’t run an internal bump stop. You could add an external progressive bump stop if you wanted to try and artificially limit the travel progressively or alternatively upping the rear spring rate by a kg. Again, not knowing what you are chasing, playing with just one ends spring rate will alter the overall frequency setup and balance.

Throwing more camber at it implies you are chasing fashion vs function. No point to have a premium set of C/O to only have the handling impacted by a poor alignment setup. All I’m suggesting is that look at it holistically and land on a setup that works utilizing the MCS as part of the system. OEM or Ohlin’s not rubbing is irrelevant.

FWIW I run MCS C/O rear 3 ways, 10kg swift spring, 2.1* camber, 20mm lowered, 5mm spacer, OEM 437’s and wide tread tire (275/35/19 RE71Rs) and under certain road situations I will get minor rub on the liner but only on one side. Further inspection identified that my liners are not symmetrical side to side in my car. Additionally, I had to shave the bumper tabs due to tire choice. On the track I have never got the rear to rub. The rub on the road is very rare compression events so for me not a requirement to address.

PS: After typing this just saw in your other post that the rear spring rate of the MCS are lower than the Ohlins. This by virtue the Ohlin’s setup would limit the potential for rub.