BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tool me, school me

05-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #23
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

The shape of the fastener will determine which socket you'll use. Using a 12 point on a 6 sided bolt will work but that's risky business. Limited surface area contact runs the risk of rounding the bolt which is never fun. This is especially true when you're cranking down hard on a stuck bolt.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      05-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #24
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Spend more for the sockets, since inaccurate or weak ones will round off the bolt/nuts. Ditto for driver-bits and screwdrivers - skip those '400 bit' sets made in China, they will just bring heartache and damaged parts.

The value of 12-points is that they only require 1/12th of a turn - good in tight quarters (same for ratchets - having one with micro-clicks is a good idea, but also a little weaker).

1/4 drive can be real useful for tight spaces too, as the extenders and u-joints are small and can fit lots of places. They also help you avoid overtorquing small nuts like for sheet metal screws or electronics. Those spring-drive bendable extensions are life-savers sometimes.

Get adapters (1/4 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2 and vice versa) - then you can usually use any socket w/ any driver (or have two at the same time, if you need that). Deep sockets are useful if working with nuts on long bolts (or that gizmo noted above with the 'thru-bolt' design).

Good screwdrivers are also a real joy. Start with a basic set, then add the weird little ones to get into small spaces as you need them. Cheap ones will be problems unless all you do is tighten things around the house.

Go cheap for the brute force stuff like a 1/2" breaker bar (or better yet, check out a pawn shop - they have LOTS of used tools cheap and you can probably find Craftsman or better). If you put a pipe on the handle of most 3/8 ratchets and really crank down, they will break or be damaged (sockets will balloon out too). Those black 'impact driver' sockets are high-strength and very hard to break, if you work a lot with old cars or rusted bolts. They also make an impact driver that gives you the power to unstick things w/o pneumatic driver.

Other tools I use a lot are a set of picks (large and small), pry bars (like big screwdrivers), and aviation snips (cutting nails, wire, and some sheet metal). I have a set of ratcheting wrenches that can be super in close quarters. Other special wrenches include ones for tubing/flare nuts, super thin ones, and stubby ones. Can't get enough weird specialty drivers either - the screwdriver-handles w/ 1/4 and 3/8 drives are often in use, as is a t-handle.

Also a good idea to keep a small tool set put aside for household use - once you get them covered w/ grease, you won't want to use them around the house or for woodworking.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      05-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I know you measure things in C and mm up north, but consider also having a set of SAE sizes for things you might buy from 'Murica. Yes, they will fit SAE/metric in a pinch, but you really don't want to be doing that.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
jaye9441007.00
      05-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Im glad to use metric tools, that converting into anglo-american values at working at aircrafts had bothering me lots of time

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #27
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Always clean the fleshlight after use and store in a clean dry place.
Appreciate 2
UncleWede17872.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      05-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #28
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

If working on German cars make sure you buy a set of Torx, E-torx and Hex sockets. As far as organization, I bought these colored magnetic socket trays from Home Depot and they've held up fine
Attached Images

DETRoadster11446.00
      05-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #29
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

nice advice and explanation,
txs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Spend more for the sockets, since inaccurate or weak ones will round off the bolt/nuts. Ditto for driver-bits and screwdrivers - skip those '400 bit' sets made in China, they will just bring heartache and damaged parts.

The value of 12-points is that they only require 1/12th of a turn - good in tight quarters (same for ratchets - having one with micro-clicks is a good idea, but also a little weaker).

1/4 drive can be real useful for tight spaces too, as the extenders and u-joints are small and can fit lots of places. They also help you avoid overtorquing small nuts like for sheet metal screws or electronics. Those spring-drive bendable extensions are life-savers sometimes.

Get adapters (1/4 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2 and vice versa) - then you can usually use any socket w/ any driver (or have two at the same time, if you need that). Deep sockets are useful if working with nuts on long bolts (or that gizmo noted above with the 'thru-bolt' design).

Good screwdrivers are also a real joy. Start with a basic set, then add the weird little ones to get into small spaces as you need them. Cheap ones will be problems unless all you do is tighten things around the house.

Go cheap for the brute force stuff like a 1/2" breaker bar (or better yet, check out a pawn shop - they have LOTS of used tools cheap and you can probably find Craftsman or better). If you put a pipe on the handle of most 3/8 ratchets and really crank down, they will break or be damaged (sockets will balloon out too). Those black 'impact driver' sockets are high-strength and very hard to break, if you work a lot with old cars or rusted bolts. They also make an impact driver that gives you the power to unstick things w/o pneumatic driver.

Other tools I use a lot are a set of picks (large and small), pry bars (like big screwdrivers), and aviation snips (cutting nails, wire, and some sheet metal). I have a set of ratcheting wrenches that can be super in close quarters. Other special wrenches include ones for tubing/flare nuts, super thin ones, and stubby ones. Can't get enough weird specialty drivers either - the screwdriver-handles w/ 1/4 and 3/8 drives are often in use, as is a t-handle.

Also a good idea to keep a small tool set put aside for household use - once you get them covered w/ grease, you won't want to use them around the house or for woodworking.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #30
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

+1 on the torx/e-torx and hex soc advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeraz View Post
If working on German cars make sure you buy a set of Torx, E-torx and Hex sockets. As far as organization, I bought these colored magnetic socket trays from Home Depot and they've held up fine
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #31
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

And triple squares, especially for VW cars
Appreciate 1
flipmeraz208.50
      05-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #32
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeraz View Post
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #33
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Ive been rocking this as my go to set for a year or so. Definitely not "high end" but honestly feels very solid, heavy and well made. Best set I could find for the price ($50). Would recommend to others that are looking to start a tool collection. Good start.

STANLEY STMT72254 123-Piece Master Mechanics Black Chrome Socket Set

https://www.stanleytools.com/product...-set/stmt72254
Appreciate 0