BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > The Next Car

05-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #23
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Most people would call it an upgrade, its faster, more luxurious more power its the flagship M car....

so i think you've got it wrong, anyhow i'm not buying cars for status, i couldn't care less what anyone thinks about what i drive, i drive it because i like it. hence why i will buy a GT4 despite it being less practical then the M2 because i don't care about others. im buying it to please myself.
I guess I would call it an upgrade, but if someone handed me a set of keys to an M5 and a set to an M2, and said I could only keep one, the only reason I would take the M5 keys is to sell it to buy an M2 and have some cash to boot!
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      05-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #24
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Year following after new G8X comes out in the market.
Looking at 2021
Well... my warranty on my M2 will be up around then...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #25
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Best guess for me is prob a 911 next, though that would be supplemental rather than replacing the M2. GT3 Touring would be nice, but out of reach - maybe a 911 T if they still make that or a similar model in the next generation (and if the new digital dash doesn't make me wanna barf).
      05-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #26
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Am I Really the only one looking forward to the new Supra?
BMW engine in a Japanese race chassis targeting Porsche handling as the benchmark?
It's unfortunate that it will probably come with only DCT, but it should be an excellent car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I’d probably go Porsche gt4 or a used Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
BMW engine in a Japanese race chassis targeting Porsche handling as the benchmark?
It's unfortunate that it will probably come with only DCT, but it should be an excellent car.
I'm looking forward to it - I wanted the last generation badly when it was on sale but it was out of reach for a kid in high school and college at the time - but I lost most of my interest when I heard the new one won't offer a manual. Also not impressed with the speculation that it may have "only" 335 hp, but that part, even if it turns out to be accurate, is irrelevant to me if it doesn't offer three pedals.
Cavpilot2k1025.00
      05-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

M2 is all the assist and electronics I can stand. Next move is something more analog.
bobert858.50
      05-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:
I'm looking forward to it - I wanted the last generation badly when it was on sale but it was out of reach for a kid in high school and college at the time - but I lost most of my interest when I heard the new one won't offer a manual. Also not impressed with the speculation that it may have "only" 335 hp, but that part, even if it turns out to be accurate, is irrelevant to me if it doesn't offer three pedals.
Yeah, I'm with you. Probably same age bracket.
And I agree it's a non-starter without 3 pedals.
But in the event they surprise us and it does come with a manual option, a B58, with M240 levels of power in a roughly 3000lb (speculative) chassis will be wickedly fast.
That's the only thing that might keep me out of the M2C (again, assuming MT, which is unlikely based on official comments from Toyota...but I'm holding out hope that they are keeping that ace up their sleeves to surprise us).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #31
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
As a diehard Supra fan, the mkiv was my 2nd car. I waited and waited a long time for the ft-1 to go from concept to production... I’m not a fan of the toning down of the aggressive look. I really wanted to like it or the new z4.

Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1025.00
      05-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #32
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
The only upgrade I would consider for my (relatively new) M2 is the next M3 (if it will be good) or a 911. Both would need to be convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
BMW_MSquared
Enlisted Member
Falkland Islands
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCi

So, funny thing about BMWs, I keep coming back to them. The M2 LCi I just bought is #8. I've had a bunch of cars over the years, and each one has played their part. I've driven a bunch of other people's nice cars over the years (Ferraris, Porsches, etc.) and enjoyed them. Somehow I just keep coming back to BMW. They're a blast to drive, even if they aren't the fastest car on the road.

Unfortunately, this last go around when shopping for this car, I looked at the RS3 and the AMG A45, Cayman...and they just wouldn't pan out. I liked the idea of the RS3/AMG A45 hatchbacks with their 4 doors and all wheel drive, but not available in US-spec. So those were out. The Cayman is a car a definitely want, but no back seat for my kid. So that's out. The M2 fit every need and want (except for the 4 doors), and it was a way better deal for me than the M3.

For my future purchases, I may be the weirdo in the group. I'm looking backwards towards my bucket list of cars: 930/964 911 Turbo, M1, Miura, E-type, or Heaven forbid a classic DB5 (maybe if I fall into a million dollars). I want something that breathes life into the driving experience. Most newer cars are too desensitized for me, and a snooze to drive. For now, I'm planning to drive this M2 until it dies.
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1025.00
      05-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #34
HammerDahn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

430 Scud
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #35
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MSquared View Post
So, funny thing about BMWs, I keep coming back to them. The M2 LCi I just bought is #8. I've had a bunch of cars over the years, and each one has played their part. I've driven a bunch of other people's nice cars over the years (Ferraris, Porsches, etc.) and enjoyed them. Somehow I just keep coming back to BMW. They're a blast to drive, even if they aren't the fastest car on the road.

Unfortunately, this last go around when shopping for this car, I looked at the RS3 and the AMG A45, Cayman...and they just wouldn't pan out. I liked the idea of the RS3/AMG A45 hatchbacks with their 4 doors and all wheel drive, but not available in US-spec. So those were out. The Cayman is a car a definitely want, but no back seat for my kid. So that's out. The M2 fit every need and want (except for the 4 doors), and it was a way better deal for me than the M3.

For my future purchases, I may be the weirdo in the group. I'm looking backwards towards my bucket list of cars: 930/964 911 Turbo, M1, Miura, E-type, or Heaven forbid a classic DB5 (maybe if I fall into a million dollars). I want something that breathes life into the driving experience. Most newer cars are too desensitized for me, and a snooze to drive. For now, I'm planning to drive this M2 until it dies.

Get a 1M?
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #36
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

G8X M3 (unless it's AWD or automatic only), M2 comp to replace my M2, Maybe GT4RS to replace my 997 GT3 and a Tesla Model 3 or Prius Prime to replace my commuter prius.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #37
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Great thread.

I am in love with my '18 LCI and see it as a long term daily driver and the odd track day car. I have one toddler and another bun in the oven now, and I see no reason why I can't keep it as my daily given we have a family hauler as well (Jeep GC). The one thing I just can't get over is it's value for money... Coming from Australia where car prices are high, the USD 53k entry price was just absurdly good. I'm so thankful I got in before the M2C, which is a car I personally have not the faintest bit of interest in (but can understand everyone else's excitement).

I will drive my M2 into the ground until my kids are older and I need more room for their long legs and sports gear. I've always loved the Audi RS4 Avant (all iterations) and was absolutely horrified when I moved to the USA only to discover it's not even sold here! That is ludicrous to me... I was told station wagons just don't sell in the USA. Flabbergasted. If they ever bring it back to the States, that'll be my next ride, hopefully with the M2 still in the shed at which point I'll really start to treat it like a track car.

Second choice would be a GT3 - best car I've ever driven, just surreal how visceral and enjoyable it is... but it's out of my league price wise.

Would also love to build my own project car, maybe a small block Chevy and drop it into a cool old truck chassis, but will be a few years before I get remotely enough time for that

Good luck with your choice, fun problem to have!

(have you considered a McLaren? You can have a used 570S at a good used price and they are just so, so sweet).
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #38
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Porsche 911 GT3
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      05-23-2018, 02:59 AM   #39
BMW_MSquared
Enlisted Member
Falkland Islands
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Great thread.

I will drive my M2 into the ground until my kids are older and I need more room for their long legs and sports gear. I've always loved the Audi RS4 Avant (all iterations) and was absolutely horrified when I moved to the USA only to discover it's not even sold here! That is ludicrous to me... I was told station wagons just don't sell in the USA. Flabbergasted. If they ever bring it back to the States, that'll be my next ride, hopefully with the M2 still in the shed at which point I'll really start to treat it like a track car.
Yup, unfortunately wagons aren't a big thing in the US (they were 30 years ago, but that devolved into the "SUV" craze). It's really disappointing. The Dodge Magnum sits at the top of my favorite wagons (delighted that I was able to buy one in 2011), and the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon was a very close second. Unfortunately, the Dodge didn't sell very well and was cancelled in 2008 (4-year run) and the CTS-V wagon is damn near a unicorn in rarity. 500hp to embarrass any wannabe racer.

The AMG Shooting Brakes are gorgeous, and the new Volvo X90 Estate is too. They're so much easier to drive than a truck, more aerodynamic, and all-around practical. But in America "bigger is better"

Here's what I sold to get into my M2
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW_MSquared; 05-23-2018 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
gnx759.50
      05-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #40
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_MSquared View Post
Yup, unfortunately wagons aren't a big thing in the US (they were 30 years ago, but that devolved into the "SUV" craze). It's really disappointing. The Dodge Magnum sits at the top of my favorite wagons (delighted that I was able to buy one in 2011), and the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon was a very close second. Unfortunately, the Dodge didn't sell very well and was cancelled in 2008 (4-year run) and the CTS-V wagon is damn near a unicorn in rarity. 500hp to embarrass any wannabe racer.

The AMG Shooting Brakes are gorgeous, and the new Volvo X90 Estate is too. They're so much easier to drive than a truck, more aerodynamic, and all-around practical. But in America "bigger is better"

Here's what I sold to get into my M2
Wow, that thing's a monster!

Yes I had a good look at the CTS-V but too rare and expensive, but wow, what a wagon. Back home I always wanted a Holden (GM) Sportswagon that I think last came with an LS3 V8.. but alas, I moved countries.

I'm a big fan of the AMG E class wagon too but just a bit big... Really, the RS4 size was perfect, so sad it's not available
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
oh i agree, it won't be a daily, my daily is my work car, because even though i love the noisy M2 with mine having a sport cat and full exhaust system AST suspension and noisy brakes, in a way i love driving my work car its so quiet and relaxing plus during the week i don't have time to drive anywhere nice so the car would be for weekend and track use!.

my daily btw its a Skoda VRS Diesel, Skoda's in Czech are actually really good cars, its a VW GTD basically. i'd keep the M2 as a daily but like i said i have no time to drive anywhere in the week and i'd feel bad leaving the M2 at home at weekends. Plus i do a lot of miles for work.
If you don't daily drive your M2 and can afford a GT4....then this is a no brained! For me a GT4 makes way more sense as a second occasional weekend/track car then a M2.
In my opinion a M2 is the perfect daily car (I use mine everyday in any weather) and this is where it shines...for daily exciting fun drives and still practical. If I had a daily car from work I would have bought GT4 instead of a M2 for weekend and track use. But I wanted to drive something fun and exciting everyday so I bought an M2 as a daily and for the weekends I still have a Z4M....which in one point I would like to sell to get.....and you can guess it....a GT4

My perfect garage would be; a M2 for daily drive and a GT4 for weekends and track.... My ultimate garage would be a M2 + GT4
      05-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopm2 View Post
@[krizze]

M2 is a damn nice looking car and albeit all of it's shortfalls there's really nothing as complete like it on the market
Correct...in this price range that is!
      05-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #43
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
I’d probably go Porsche gt4 or a used Ferrari.
A flashy Ferrari is not everybody's taste...and let's be honest...driving a Ferrari on track will be way more expensive then a Porsche GT3/GT4....and a normal Ferrari is not that great on track.
      05-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #44
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
G80 M3 Comp. Already have made my deposit lol.
Wish I can get M4 but wife says no more coupes...
Doesn't the g80 m3/m4 come out in like 2-3 years?
Appreciate 0