BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Is an M2 Competition worth the upgrade from an M2 LCI ?

05-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The M2 is a great car and bargain, you guys need to stop buying into the marketing hype and appreciate the vehicle you have and the great price you paid for it..

The M2C, in its soul is just a M2 with another motor. And honestly, you are not going to need all that power; the M2 has more than enough pep to get your license suspended..

Anyone who is ragging on the M2 obvious doesn't understand real world facts and are more focus on bragging rights..

And another tip, if you show the trolls it's getting you, they're just going to pouch on it.. People are a-holes to your face; imagine how obnoxious they can be anonymously, in a public forum..
True ! Thanks buddy . You are right . Something not relevant to our theme , do you think now where the M2 is completely replaced by the M2 Competition , will the original M2 be a good investment?
      05-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonas View Post
Quote:
The M2 is a great car and bargain, you guys need to stop buying into the marketing hype and appreciate the vehicle you have and the great price you paid for it..

The M2C, in its soul is just a M2 with another motor. And honestly, you are not going to need all that power; the M2 has more than enough pep to get your license suspended..

Anyone who is ragging on the M2 obvious doesn't understand real world facts and are more focus on bragging rights..

And another tip, if you show the trolls it's getting you, they're just going to pouch on it.. People are a-holes to your face; imagine how obnoxious they can be anonymously, in a public forum..
True ! Thanks buddy . You are right . Something not relevant to our theme , do you think now where the M2 is completely replaced by the M2 Competition , will the original M2 be a good investment?
No, an automobile is never a good investment, especially because of how many different models BMW is producing and saturating the market with.

The only BMWs that actually appreciates in value is a 1M and the Z8, which is only because of limited supply VS demand.

The M2 will depreciate just like any other M vehicle but not as exaggerated as people are making it out to be.

Buy and enjoy it, don't be overly concerned about the bottom line. By the time you feel like you got your money's worth and is ready to replace it, you wouldn't even think twice about it as an investment.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Clearly you're NOT SURE as to what you're talking about !

i'm sorry if i hurt your feelings.
You must have 3 fingers pointing right back at you.

I am good, even though you're NOT SURE !

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #26
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, a automobile is never a good investment, especially how many different models BMW is producing and saturating the market with.

The only BMWs that actually appreciates in value is a 1M and the Z8, which is only because of limited supply VS demand.

The M2 will depreciate just like any other M vehicle but not as exaggerated as people are making it out to be.

Buy and enjoy, don't be overly concerned about the bottom line. By the time you feel like you got your money's worth, you wouldn't even think twice about it as an investment.
I know , i just had in mind like the old one E30 M3 which is the first ever M3 , just like this car i thought as well the same for the M2 since its the first ever . Might hold its value more than other M cars .
      05-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #27
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Do you think an iPhone 6 will be a good investment? Same principle. Although if you have one of the original iPhone in mint condition. It might worth something 20 years from now.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4029.50
Poochie9103.00
      05-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #28
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

It is a personal choice. Some people MUST have the latest thing... and I am not sure they ever appreciate what they have when they have it. I am appreciating the heck out of my MY2017!

We have not seen driving reviews let alone head-to-heads yet... only spec sheet comparisons, which are pretty much meaningless. Not sure why some people on here are so in love with spec sheets... they should be on a 'Vette board somewhere.

An M Car forum should be about the driving experience. We know the M2C has a great platform to start from, but where did it take that starting point? And did it take it far enough to make the price hike (or in your case the total financial hit) worth it? Wait a bit and see.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4029.50
      05-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #29
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I would be happy with a standard M2, except that I am hoping to do an ED delivery next year, which means I have to get a new one, which means Comp. My situation pretty much dictates the model I will end up with (though I am hoping they bring back MGM next year).
IMO that is a perfekt reason to buy an M2 Competition. I just picked my M2 up @ BMW Welt and spent 2 weeks & ~1,600 miles with it in and around Germany. Excellent time.

FWIW, the day I was at Welt the 2019 M2 Competition was on the floor and I had the opportunity to get up close and personal and also talk with some of the folks there about it. I, for one, think it is a very sharp car and would not say no to one.

Still, after spending time behind the wheel of my 2018 M2 LCI, I can also say that I am more than satisfied (read delighted) with it and have no regrets.

I am not the first to say this but there will always be something newer, faster, whatever. This does not diminish the previous M2 models any more than the E46 diminished the E36. Both are fine automobiles.

Anyone that is disappointed that they have a previous model is destined to be that way with any car from any manufacturer unless the have the cash to keep up.

My $0.02 FWIW
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      05-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #30
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Personally I would pick up a used M4 or M3 for less than what the comp will cost. Yes its bigger but they weigh the same but has more power. The M2 comp is cool with all its CF bits but I doubt I would buy it over the current M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #31
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
Quote:
I would be happy with a standard M2, except that I am hoping to do an ED delivery next year, which means I have to get a new one, which means Comp. My situation pretty much dictates the model I will end up with (though I am hoping they bring back MGM next year).
IMO that is a perfekt reason to buy an M2 Competition. I just picked my M2 up @ BMW Welt and spent 2 weeks & ~1,600 miles with it in and around Germany. Excellent time.

FWIW, the day I was at Welt the 2019 M2 Competition was on the floor and I had the opportunity to get up close and personal and also talk with some of the folks there about it. I, for one, think it is a very sharp car and would not say no to one.

Still, after spending time behind the wheel of my 2018 M2 LCI, I can also say that I am more than satisfied (read delighted) with it and have no regrets.

I am not the first to say this but there will always be something newer, faster, whatever. This does not diminish the previous M2 models any more than the E46 diminished the E36. Both are fine automobiles.

Anyone that is disappointed that they have a previous model is destined to be that way with any car from any manufacturer unless the have the cash to keep up.

My $0.02 FWIW
I've been wanting to do an ED for years.
I go to Germany almost every year for a few weeks anyway, so why not get an awesome car on one of these trips?

But yeah, I almost bought an M2 about a month ago. It just wasn't good timing for me, as I hadn't really planned ahead, but if I could have made the work, I'd have happily bought an M2 even knowing the Comp was coming out.
Great car.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      05-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #32
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
Personally I would pick up a used M4 or M3 for less than what the comp will cost. Yes its bigger but they weigh the same but has more power. The M2 comp is cool with all its CF bits but I doubt I would buy it over the current M2.

What CF bits exactly?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #33
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
I have an answer for you on that. Pick up a current LCI MGM M2 now. Use the money you'd save on the price difference to take a Euro trip and rent a BMW we don't get in the States. Done!
seis-speed2430.50
      05-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #34
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Quote:
I have an answer for you on that. Pick up a current LCI MGM M2 now. Use the money you'd save on the price difference to take a Euro trip and rent a BMW we don't get in the States. Done!
I like your thinking!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #35
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
I like this thinking too. We just got back from an ED trip where we took delivery of a LBB M2 LCI and we had a fantastic time. I think anyone who has the opportunity to do an ED should absolutely do so, but really you can still do almost all of the same things at the Welt even if you're not taking delivery of your own car. Other than the customer lounge on the 3rd floor and the actual car delivery level (correct me if I'm wrong on this), it's all open to everyone. All the restaurants, shops, exhibits, the museum, plant tour, you can go do all of that and spend a day or two at the Welt and get 95% of the experience. And unlike driving your own car, you won't have to worry about minding the tach with a rental - it'll likely be broken in so you can have more fun than you would with your own car, at least for the first 1200 miles. Incidentally, at one of our many travel stops we parked next to a guy who was also on vacation, and he'd rented a black sapphire M3 for the trip, so he was having as much fun as we were except without the break-in limitations. Again, I wouldn't talk anyone out of an ED, but it's not as if you have to be taking delivery of a car to enjoy all the trappings of the Welt Center.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      05-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #36
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

The kidney grille really is bad IMO.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4029.50
bobert858.50
S1monQc223.50
      05-18-2018, 12:43 AM   #37
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
The kidney grille really is bad IMO.
Sad but true !
      05-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #38
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Simple. How important is the S55 to you?

Very- uograde
Not really - save some money but don’t spend them on power mods otherwise you might as well upgrade

You should (if not already) go and test drive an M3/M4 and see if you crave for that power rush from the S55. Better yet wait for the Comp to become available and then test drive it.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4029.50
      05-18-2018, 01:51 AM   #39
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I don't see any reason a current M2 owner should drop their current car for the M2 Comp, this isn't a statement on the M2 Comp but if you love your current M2 and you have already paid the sales tax, taken the depreciation hit etc than it would be silly in my mind to drop the current M2 for a car that while it's different and probably improved is probably 10% better maybe a little more. Few can fully use the full capability of the current car, even on a track so you would mostly be buying capability you cannot use. I suspect the seats will be an aesthetic upgrade more so than ergonomic upgrade. I am keeping my current M2 its a great car, my next car will be something different like a Cayman GTS or 911, doesn't make sense to me to get essentially the same car again. The Comp is an evolution of the M2 not revolution, new engine yes but the vast majority of the car is the same.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4029.50
Aloha Joe393.00
      05-18-2018, 02:06 AM   #40
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
WE will have to wait and see, grammar police !
We SHALL have to wait and see..... grammar police police
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4029.50
Aloha Joe393.00
      05-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #41
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Yeah.. Until we see how marketing decides to package it for your particular country, very hard to talk about 'worth', except for those who, like Dan says, MUST have the latest iteration whether its 'better' or not.. 'Better' is so often in the mind of the beholder anyway...
Unless you're taking your car on the track a lot or really have a hard on for that 100-200km/h acceleration range, from a performance perspective, it's really not worth it

My plan is to retrofit M4 seats or fit in a pair of CS Sportster seats because they really do drastically improve the cabin

When I stop enjoying my M2 I'm moving on to another brand however. This whole M2 iPhone like yearly upgrade crap has really dented my opinion over the brand
That's interesting what you say how important is info entertainment system, sounds like you use your M2 as daily?

On my side, I just use GPS to see next turns (mountain) ... and that's pretty much it.
I am never listening music (only engine). I find all fancy entertainment or connectivity features/options useless if they don't help driving. What BMW should consider, is to offer a super basic/light version (M2 light:-) where focus would be just weight reduction and drive enjoyment, a bit like Porsche is doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #42
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Not sure it’s worth the upgrade. I doubt you drive the n55 that hard to use all the HP optimally. So S55 i doubt will be enough to change the car.

The looks on the outside is good and bad. But you can always mod your my18 m2.

I was reading it’s heaavier and possibly front heavy... if that’s the case, it may not be a better track car.

Personally I would enjoy the car you own and change the car later on to a different car
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #43
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
I'll skip the M2 Competition and will save up for the 2020 M4 with the S58.

I think that thing will be off the charts and will carry the same spirit as the new F90, which blasts its competition on all levels.

With that being said, BMW M restored my faith I have for them with the latest F90.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4029.50
Transfer5250.00
bobert858.50
      05-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #44
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

if u track it and dont mind the sound it seems like a nice upgrade